Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: To Steam or not to Steam
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:32 pm 

Bad puns aside, I've been pondering for a while whether or not to dive into Steam. I'm primarily a console gamer right now, but when I go to college, I plan to take up PC gaming. I don't know all the details about Steam, but I know a few things:

Pros: One-stop shop for buying all your games.
No DVD cases laying around.
Active Community.
MaxPC group. 8)

Cons: I don't like the idea being forced to connect to the internet and log in to Steam just to play a game.
Places like Amazon offer game downloads with no DRM-like protection, no BS (as far as I'm aware).
If Steam servers go down, your games are unplayable.
You don't get to shop around for lower prices.

Steam is convenient, all-digital, and choc full of social features. But, if Steam goes down in any way, shape, or form, it's taking you with it. If you're in a situation where there's no internet connection, you're screwed. Simple, but not very failsafe. I'm not sure the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. I'd like to see some other opinions on this.

I'm sorry if this has been asked 9384561340563457139457 times. If it has, please point me in the appropriate direction.

Post subject: Re: To Steam or not to Steam
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:16 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Actually...you can play offline in steam. My friend would play L4D2 on my account offline while I play CS:S online =D. The only games that you won't be able to play online are games that require steam servers such as CS:S or TF2.

And your con for not being able to shop around for lower prices is false. You can shop around for lower prices if you want. Steam doesn't make you use its services for everything. I find them pretty cheap or cheaper than most stores anyways.

For games that need a CD-key, Steam automatically stores it for you so you don't loose them. Much like how I kept all my CD keys on a piece of paper and now somebody threw it out and now I can't play some of the older games.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:22 pm 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

Quote:
Cons: I don't like the idea being forced to connect to the internet and log in to Steam just to play a game.

Games can be played in offline mode after you've first activated them on Steam. You don't have to be online in order to play them after that.
Quote:
Places like Amazon offer game downloads with no DRM-like protection, no BS (as far as I'm aware).

Not to sure about this one. I've purchased some games from D2D and they still had DRM. Anyways, from what I understand, any game purchased on Steam comes with the same DRM as retail so their should be no difference.
Quote:
If Steam servers go down, your games are unplayable.

See first question. Also I have never seen Steam login go down, only the cloud which just disables friendslist and some saving features in game.
Quote:
You don't get to shop around for lower prices.

Most games are reasonably priced to match retail or better unless theirs some sort of sale at a particular outlet. Also their are at a minimum 2 sales a week between the Mid-Week Madness sale and the Weekend Sale along with constant specials on select titles (preorders in particular) and publisher and event (Halloween, Black Friday, summer, etc) sales.

Personally I love Steam and I think it's the best thing to happen to gaming in years. Not only does it work as store, but with friends list, communities and groups and events it's an enjoyable social experience as well. Your always 2 clicks away from joining your friends in any server for the most part.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:50 pm 

Agree with everything these guys have said about Steam. I give it two thumbs up and say go for it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:19 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Steam (or another similiar program that might eventually takeover) is the future of gaming. You might as well be a part of it now. It's really simple and it's so convenient. Also, the deals they have are insane. I bought GTA IV for 7 dollars. Nation Red for 2 dollars. The list goes on and on.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:31 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

so easy a caveman can use it!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:22 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

i like the NEW in-game UI, which includes the clock. didnt think i would need to check what time it was while playing left 4 dead into the mid night hours. the in-game UI is very cool, indeed, and the mention of Steam keeping track of your game keys is well worth the sign up. first game i got on steam was Trackmania,

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:07 pm 

So, the general consensus is that Steam is awesome. I guess I know where I'll be turning for my PC gaming needs. Thanks for all the feedback!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:58 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

I agree with all of the above also. However, I do have concerns about if I ever have to move to an area without broadband. All your stuff is then dependent on dial up. As in your done if you didn't have a good full system image backup before you moved. Unless you have a laptop you can take for a short vacation and update everything then come back and transfer it over to your main rig.

Before you scoff, I recently spent 2 years in internet hell while living close to the grand kids. The son-in-law was stationed in Coleville Cal and I lived in Walker. On a really, really good day My connection was 16Kb/s. The kids were in hog heaven in Coleville, they routinely got 33-38 Kb/s. For those astounding figures we only had to pay $45 a month. So I can see where an online service could be a real bummer.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:15 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

If I moved to an area without broadband, I'd have more pressing concerns... like how to fit both shotgun barrels in my mouth. :P

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:55 am 
Willamette
Willamette

Yeah I'm so spoiled now by FiOS I'd probably suffer mild depression if I had to drop back to DSL even.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:30 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

tugboat_2 wrote:
Yeah I'm so spoiled now by FiOS I'd probably suffer mild depression if I had to drop back to DSL even.

I'm chugging along at 160kbps.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:13 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

MdX MaxX wrote:
I'd like to see some other opinions on this.

Just DL the Steam client and look through the pricing, features and functionality. Once you see games for like $2 - since Black Friday is around the corner, you will start buying.

You are going to love it, I guarantee it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:25 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

I went with Steam about 5 years ago and never looked back. I also sold most of my games ( hard copies ) and bought them in Steam. I've never had any problem besides the point that it takes a couple of days to respond to my messages. I only had to contact them in two occasions and I was able to get the problem corrected. One thing though, make sure your cpu and video card are up to the job.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:41 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

i am a fan of Steams built-in UI for games sold through its services. I also got my early access key recently for the new Duke Nukem game from Gearbox, when its available to play/BETA . connecting with friends is very easy, and the new tabbed chat box is neat (its probably been around for awhile, i was busy upgrading older PCs that i have) . game deals and steals (like the GTA series for like 3$ each game) was neat, and always something on sale there at the store pages.

i liked it so much, i started another account so i can load LAN-ing games on my older PCs

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:15 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

bingojubes wrote:
game deals and steals (like the GTA series for like 3$ each game) was neat, and always something on sale there at the store pages.

Concur 100%. The jumbo pack deals they have can be quite amazing. Like all of Eidos or Activision games on steam for $100.