Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Minecraft
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:35 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

Okay so I know someone here has to of heard of Minecraft. So let's get started:

It's an awesome time waster and great friend for when you have none, plus, you can make tons of crap

computer in your computer?

Post subject: Re: Minecraft
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:14 am 
Northwood
Northwood

Dude, I spent like five hours this weekend just to build a safe base, harvesting materials and developing a reliable tunnel to the lowest level with all the lava and diamonds and mining obsidian, just to build my first portal to the Nether. That hellstone is great though, it mines so fast, and I think I'll make a castle with a burning moat with it.

By the way, does anyone know how spawns work in the Nether? Pigmen keep spawning in my walled-off and well-lit "safe" zone.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:59 am 
Northwood
Northwood

Pigmen are only dangerous if you attack them, which is why they spawn literally everywhere they can. And I am working on my own (fairly) automated cart system which caused me to sit up till 1 am when I gotta get up at 7 tomorrow.... for awsum and shame. :?

oh and because of this stupid game I forgot and left my clothes in the campus washroom. :/ I don't even know if they dried all the way so if they didn't theyll be all musty! :!: I'll have pics of my amazingness soon enough :)

And enjoy the picture of this mob: Image

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:00 am 

A bunch of people in my WoW guild started to play this. I refuse to. I don't have the time.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:29 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Tons of excitement around this game. Kotaku posts about it everytime they have a wet dream.

There are some very nice custom levels. But, those with OCD x 10 create the greatest levels. I like the idea, but it feels like Microsoft Paint 3D. It is no different than creating pixel art really.

Awesome none the less.

I am sure a few years down the line 'teh graphixxx' will get pretty sick.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:09 am 
Northwood
Northwood

Phosphorous wrote:
A bunch of people in my WoW guild started to play this. I refuse to. I don't have the time.

Quit wow and play this on a Minecraft server. At least what you do with 30 people online will actually make something cool! :P

@Consolitis. I don't really care about "teh grafix" and that's part of the point of this game, because it has real-time lighting, real-time water and lava flow. I'm sure it could look amazing but meh I don't really know if i'd play it if it looked like it was made for CryEngine 3.

Also, people play this because of what we can make in the game (look at that 16 bit ALU) and do. Which is literally anything that we want to make and do. :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:32 am 

Dwood15 wrote:
Phosphorous wrote:
Also, people play this because of what we can make in the game (look at that 16 bit ALU) and do. Which is literally anything that we want to make and do. :)

That's the thing...the possibilities for creativity, plus kickass graphics and I would buy it. I still might, but just havent gotten there yet.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:41 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Phosphorous wrote:

This.

Though, I do find it amazing that this game is so popular. It demonstrates the fact that gaming should not be driven by better graphics and sound but by actual gameplay. This is something that 99% of the gaming industry seems to have forgotten.

Hrm. I apologise. I made an obviously incorrect assumption there ... to have forgotten something, they'd have to have known it at some point in the past.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:43 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

Phosphorous wrote:
Dwood15 wrote:
Phosphorous wrote:

That's the thing...the possibilities for creativity, plus kickass graphics and I would buy it. I still might, but just havent gotten there yet.

There are texture packs that make it look nicer.

But I'm with Jip on this one. Gameplay trumps graphics. Just look at Deus Ex or, hell, you seem to enjoy playing a 6 year old MMO. Yet, at the same time, better graphics do add something to a game, if only to justify paying for such powerful hardware, and so that we have a visual 1-up on past games.

Actually, let's see if I can make a witty quote: Good graphics make a game better, not good.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:19 am 
Northwood
Northwood

Phosphorous wrote:
Dwood15 wrote:

What kind of graphics are you going to get out of a procedurally generated 3d game where you bang your fist against rocks and it pops into a smaller piece you can take around with you? ?????

This is no gmod, but doesn't change the awesome factor!