Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: I would drop Windows for Linux if it wasn't for the games
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:37 pm 

Anybody else here hate Windows but is an avid gamer? I would switch over to Linux in a heartbeat if I could, but games for Linux aren't nearly non existent. I think directX is ploy by MS to keep people on Windows.

I'm thinking of a way to do it but I can only think of dual booting and Wine. The problem is that I often switch back and forth between games and other programs and it takes too long to reboot. And it's been several years since I checked out Wine but it was nearly unusable. As anyone else tried it recently?

Post subject: Re: I would drop Windows for Linux if it wasn't for the game
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:48 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Wine is getting further and further away from supporting current games ... porting new versions of DirectX is becoming more and more difficult.

DirectX is a fantastic API and is one of the reasons that gaming on Windows is so successful. Believe me .. MS is not interested in taking market share from Linux (looooool) .. they are only interested in ensuring that the PC remains a gaming platform that can compete with consoles.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:05 am 
Million Club 5+ [PC]*
Million Club 5+ [PC]*

I dont hate windows, Win7 is actually quite nice. but I dont know If I would buy it over linux if Linux could game

DX isnt a ploy, its just a very useful tool that MS provides and wants to keep exclusive to thier platform. nothing sinister about that.

if devs dont want to use DX they can always use openGL, nobody is holding a gun to their heads (I think)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:14 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Windows is easily worth the $100-$150 you pay for it imo.

Easy to use and configure, and it has a massive application/program base.

Also well supported by Microsoft / 3rd Party developers.

If linux got to that point someday, then I might consider it - but since I have money, I prefer ease of use/compatibility to free.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:50 am 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

I actually just made the jump to 7 a month ago (from XP) and I'm happy I did. I haven't had a single install problem, crash or anything really. I play a game or two pretty much every day.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:55 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

If Linux could game...
If Linux could run Sonar DAW...
If Linux could run Guitar Rig...
If Linux could run After Effects...
If Linux could run Sony Vegas...
If Linux could run Paint Shop Pro X...

It's not just games that Linux can't do.

Sure there's similar programs for Linux that does what the above programs do but nowhere near the extent of what I want from them.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:05 am 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

newegg911 wrote:
Anybody else here hate Windows but is an avid gamer? I would switch over to Linux in a heartbeat if I could, but games for Linux aren't nearly non existent. I think directX is ploy by MS to keep people on Windows.

I'm thinking of a way to do it but I can only think of dual booting and Wine. The problem is that I often switch back and forth between games and other programs and it takes too long to reboot. And it's been several years since I checked out Wine but it was nearly unusable. As anyone else tried it recently?

I completely agree. I'm pretty sick of Windows. While Windows 7 isn't bad, I'm pretty sick of some of its bullshit and I'm liking my Arch Linux install more and more, but I'm stuck in the same situation. First, Firefox's Linux build sucks ass (really I'm starting to hate firefox in general more and more). It's buggy, doesn't have any native themes, and is even slower than the Windows build. Second, no games/photoshop on Linux, and while Photoshop and many games run fine in WINE (WINE still sucks right now too. So many things just don't work at all no matter what you do), my dual 4870s can't handle the acceleration tasks, because Linux Catalyst drivers suck horrendously. First, if I try to use Xinerama to use both my monitors, it disables 2D acceleration. I can live with that if I just disable some of the fancier desktop effects. That means Photoshop would lose the 3D acceleration benefits, keeping me on Windows.

And even then, general 3D performance is awful. First, configuring Catalyst for CrossFire was a pain, and when I finished, I ran some OpenGL benches against a friend's rig running Arch Linux on a single GT 240, and his rig crushed mine! WTF? Damn proprietary drivers, that's what I hate about them. With open specs, if the manufacturer can't get their ass in gear, some Linux hacker will put together a good driver. But with a proprietary design, that can't happen.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:22 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Combine increasing complexity in graphic APIs with increasing reliance on them for everything from gaming to desktop effects and you have a steepening tech curve with which linux will have an increasingly difficult time keeping up.

Wine started failing when DX9 came out. MS won't open their code (nor are they obliged to do so) and DX9 is complex enough that devs are having a difficult time adapting it for linux. DX10 is an order of magnitude more complex and DX11 ramps up the scale even more. Not only is the API becoming increasingly more complex but it is used in more and more applications.

In the end, linux is pretty much doomed as an equivalent of Windows and I think that most FOSS devs have accepted this. As a workstation, data box, code slinger, mobile platform .. linux is fantastic. As a gaming machine, video or photo editor, graphics box .. linux is bound to fail.