Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: PC Gaming/Steam question
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:52 am 

For the last couple of years I have been working from home on a PC that I also use for gaming when time allows. Recently my company has decided to purchase me the new 27" iMac which is fine, but I do not have the room in my office for both machines. I am running all of my games through the Steam and I was wondering if there is a way to get everything up and running on the iMac? I have heard about running W7 on Boot Camp and other programs such as Parallels and VM Fusion, but will I run into any issues running my games on the iMac? The specs on the iMac are as follows: 2.93GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM, ATI Radeon HD 5750 with 1GB of GDDR5.
By the way, the types of game I play are BFBC2, Mass Effect, Bioshock etc...Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: PC Gaming/Steam question
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:17 am 
like a rock - waitaminute, I AM a rock
like a rock - waitaminute, I AM a rock

This isn't really a gaming question, it's more of a "Can you help me build" question.

To be fair you might have more luck asking this question on a Mac forum.

You can run Virtual Machines on most Mac systems. They do NOT play games well.

The 27-inch iMac has a DisplayPort input that you might be able to use if your computer has a DisplayPort output, but on the site it suggests there are also adapters available for the iMac, but doesn't state what they are, or why they are needed.

You said you don't have space for them both ... if it's only because of the monitor (and why wouldn't it be, the iMac has no 'tower' or box) then there's a chance you can run your PC video output to the input on the iMac screen ...

DO NOT take my word for this, but I would start looking in that direction if you have that option. This way you can keep your PC box under your desk or wherever you want and ditch it's monitor, using the iMac screen as the display instead.

I will repeat, I don't know if this will work, you can look into it some more. Ask a Mac genius or something, they think they know everything.

Post subject: Re: PC Gaming/Steam question
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:40 am 

Thanks for your reply. I'll look into some of your suggestions.