Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: How Microsoft Corporate treats gamers or How to P off MS
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:58 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

I just played GoW2 on my 360 the other day, and again, I still have no clue what you're talking about. I have 3 wireless and 1 wired controllers, none of them have this issue you describe. I'm 29 btw, been gaming since I could walk practically, on just about as many systems as Phosphorous, so I know my stuff. I also happen to have an original Xbox, and though I love their controllers, I prefer the 360's over them now, especially over the gay-assed "controller S", which face it, is just a controller for midgets and kids, lol. I hate that stupid controller.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:07 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Quote:
I built this fine 8-way controller to work with my PC and original Xbox from scratch using wood, arcade parts, and a desire to have a precise controller.

Ah - you're a crazy person; now I get.

;-)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:54 am 

ddbEntertainment wrote:
Very cool! Ok, one question. Would you rather play 360 games that require a directional pad with a Sega Genesis controller or the OEM 360 controller?

To be honest, I haven't played any games that require the directional pad exclusively or for even most of the game, but with the amount of time that I have used it, I don't really see the problem. Maybe it's because I'm not using it exclusively for a game like Street Fighter. All of my usage has been with menus like up, down, left, and right.

That's a nice controller you've built. You should try building yourself an arcade machine. I plan on doing that once I get a bigger house.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:24 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

PM_DMNKLR wrote:
I just played GoW2 on my 360 the other day, and again, I still have no clue what you're talking about. I have 3 wireless and 1 wired controllers, none of them have this issue you describe. I'm 29 btw, been gaming since I could walk practically, on just about as many systems as Phosphorous, so I know my stuff. I also happen to have an original Xbox, and though I love their controllers, I prefer the 360's over them now, especially over the gay-assed "controller S", which face it, is just a controller for midgets and kids, lol. I hate that stupid controller.

lol, yeah. The "controller S" was dumb IMO. But then again I have proper size American hands. :)

Try some Tetris or similar arcade game with the 360 OEM controller. Press down on the pad to get your pieces to fall faster. Let me know if you succeed or get screwed by the controller's looseness. My brother, a few friends, and I all have serious issues with the OEM controller and it intrigues me that some gamers have no problem. Kind of makes me think there are a few gems out there. Want to trade? ;)

-ddb

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:24 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Consolitis wrote:
Quote:
I built this fine 8-way controller to work with my PC and original Xbox from scratch using wood, arcade parts, and a desire to have a precise controller.

Ah - you're a crazy person; now I get.

;-)

The medication sorta helps. :)

-ddb

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:28 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

My 360 controller worked like it was advertised....and continued to do so until I sold it a year later before I shipped off to bootcamp.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:37 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Phosphorous wrote:
ddbEntertainment wrote:
Very cool! Ok, one question. Would you rather play 360 games that require a directional pad with a Sega Genesis controller or the OEM 360 controller?

To be honest, I haven't played any games that require the directional pad exclusively or for even most of the game, but with the amount of time that I have used it, I don't really see the problem. Maybe it's because I'm not using it exclusively for a game like Street Fighter. All of my usage has been with menus like up, down, left, and right.

That's a nice controller you've built. You should try building yourself an arcade machine. I plan on doing that once I get a bigger house.

I'd love to build an arcade cabinet with my 36" Sony Trinitron 4:3 CRT HDTV (does 480p and 1080i). 300lb monster that cost me $2500 and is pretty much worthless now. But as you, I need the room! lol, oneday.... thx

The "D" pad on multiple OEM 360 controllers will screw me up in the Dashboard. Not as often as in games but every once in a while it goes in a direction I don't want it to go. I am a little puzzled. I know there are gamers who are experiencing my frustrations just by doing a quick Google search yet like I said in a earlier post some think it is fine. I have awards on multiple systems for my gaming prowess. I can't achieve legendary scores with an OEM 360 controller "D" pad. The wired Mad Catz Street Fighter controller is reminiscent of the 6 button Sega Genesis controller and it rocks aside from the WIRE.

-ddb

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:59 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

For some, a Honda Civic is good enough to go get their groceries. Others buy a Porsche and race quite successfully on weekends. Obviously, the Honda would not suffice for weekend racing. However, a Civic owner who complains to Honda because his car doesn't do 0-60 in under 5 seconds is not going to get much respect from the company.

The standard controller is a Civic. You want a Porsche. Buy a Porsche. Don't try to complain your Civic into a Porsche.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:02 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

My wireless controllers are all Halo 3 controllers; 1 is the LE controller that came with my Halo 3 system, and the others are the LE controllers that were sold retail. My wired one is a Mad Catz one, and I love it. I've used the D-Pad exclusively numerous times for games such as Tetris Worlds, Hexic HD, etc., and haven't had any issues. Maybe y'all just have bad luck with controllers or something, or maybe I just have very good luck, seems to always go that way for me with game stuff, pc parts, etc. If you ever want to do the arcade cabinet, there are tons of resources out there, some free, others not so much. I plan on doing one myself eventually, but mine will be truly unique, not one of those run-of-the-mill fiber-board basic cabinets.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:06 pm 
Team Dino
Team Dino

Jipstyle wrote:
The standard controller is a Civic. You want a Porsche. Buy a Porsche. Don't try to complain your Civic into a Porsche.

Except that Microsoft keeps 'Porches off the road', meaning that they refuse to share/license their wireless technology for game controllers.

n0b0dykn0ws

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:20 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

n0b0dykn0ws wrote:
they refuse to share/license their wireless technology for game controllers.n0b0dykn0ws

That's because they know that other companies will make higher-quality products. Hell, I'd rather get wired if the controllers are better for my hands. I have a (general) problem where my fingers cramp up way too easily, and if someone made a more comfy controller, even wired, I'd go for it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:53 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

n0b0dykn0ws wrote:
Jipstyle wrote:

Except that Microsoft keeps 'Porches off the road', meaning that they refuse to share/license their wireless technology for game controllers.

n0b0dykn0ws

Microsoft owns the road. This was known before he bought the console. Or the 2nd and 3rd consoles, at least.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:40 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Jipstyle wrote:
For some, a Honda Civic is good enough to go get their groceries. Others buy a Porsche and race quite successfully on weekends. Obviously, the Honda would not suffice for weekend racing. However, a Civic owner who complains to Honda because his car doesn't do 0-60 in under 5 seconds is not going to get much respect from the company.

No man, it is about the steering. If there is slop in either vehicle's steering components it gets recalled and the dealer fixes the problem.

-ddb

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:03 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

PM_DMNKLR wrote:
My wireless controllers are all Halo 3 controllers; 1 is the LE controller that came with my Halo 3 system, and the others are the LE controllers that were sold retail. My wired one is a Mad Catz one, and I love it. I've used the D-Pad exclusively numerous times for games such as Tetris Worlds, Hexic HD, etc., and haven't had any issues. Maybe y'all just have bad luck with controllers or something, or maybe I just have very good luck, seems to always go that way for me with game stuff, pc parts, etc. If you ever want to do the arcade cabinet, there are tons of resources out there, some free, others not so much. I plan on doing one myself eventually, but mine will be truly unique, not one of those run-of-the-mill fiber-board basic cabinets.

I have one Halo controller and I don't notice a difference between it or any other. I got to play with a pink controller yesterday for some COD WAW & MW mayhem against my brother. I played around with the "D" pad in the dashboard and it felt the same. Maybe the "B" batch of controllers were sent to certain markets in hopes that no one would notice... :)

I have three buddies that made arcade cabinets. One did a standard 2 player MAME build, the other refurbished an old school Pac-Man cocktail table with cup holders and ashtrays(very cool features), the other stuffed a Trinitron like mine into a cool cabinet with 5.1 sound and 2 bar stool type seats with an awesome control panel. He threw everything on that thing. Has a trackball, joysticks, and a old school After Burner type flight controller in the center. Very cool build.

I can't remember the name of the game but back in the 90's there was a cabinet that housed a large CRT with a booming sound system and the players stood back from the screen with a 4 player control console placed on legs. I do remember the design and I'd like mine to resemble that cabinet in 2 player form with all the necessary buttons and controllers. Materials get expensive quick though. I have over $100 invested in just the controller I built. One thing I can do cheaply myself are the graphics for the marquee, sides, and control panel and get them printed out on some vinyl. I think about it a lot. One day...

-ddb

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:26 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

ddbEntertainment wrote:
Jipstyle wrote:

No man, it is about the steering. If there is slop in either vehicle's steering components it gets recalled and the dealer fixes the problem.

-ddb

Hey! Don't be carjacking my metaphor!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:23 am 

Jipstyle wrote:
ddbEntertainment wrote:
Jipstyle wrote:

-ddb

You should have put the child locks on it then. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:22 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Phosphorous wrote:
Jipstyle wrote:

You should have put the child locks on it then. :lol:

That doesn't stop someone from getting INTO the car, just getting out, lol. Besides, with the prices Microsoft puts on their controllers, they ought to be sponsored by Porsche. And in case someone mentions the same price on PS3 controllers, well, we all know Sony always over-prices their stuff. I think if you expect someone to make a "Porsche-level-of-design-based" controller, compared to Microsoft's being a "Honda-level-of-design-based" one, then forget it, cuz they'd be priced closer to $100 than $50/60.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:43 am 
like a rock - waitaminute, I AM a rock
like a rock - waitaminute, I AM a rock

Are we talking about controllers or cars here? I love the Microsoft XBox 360 wireless controller for PC gaming. The only problem I have is that the proprietary wireless dongle isn't sold separately any longer.

I guess you should know what you're getting when you buy it. They are the only game in town right now for controllers that 'just work' on any of my Windows-based computers. Hell, I don't even own an XBox of any kind, but I have 3 controllers :D heheheh

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:33 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

I also use a 360 controller for my PC gaming .. it pwns.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:23 am 

Same