Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: New XBOX D-Pad
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:41 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010 ... mpaign=rss

Kind of confusing on the advantages of the new one, but I agree with the article, can't be worse...

Post subject: Re: New XBOX D-Pad
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:41 am 
Team Member*
Team Member*

The better question is would you buy the controller for $64.99 instead of $49.99 just to get the play-and-charge. most of my games I use the thumb stick any way. Personally I wish they would stop the monopoly and let logitec or other 3rd party vendors into the controller arena(wireless) :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:32 am 

EDIT

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:57 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Yeah the price is absurd. And it definitely won't overtake the left analog stick, but to have something that is easy to use would be nice for games that need the extra buttons. Like for games that use it as a weapon selector, it would be great if you could easily select the direction you want. In Gears of War, half the time I will try and change weapons and I end up switching to the wrong gun because the d-pad just sucks.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:28 am 
Willamette
Willamette

I don't see the reason anyone should be upset that you can't get it w/out the PNC kit, that's a genius idea, especially if you want to use the (albeit somewhat crappy) rechargeable packs, or don't mind using the cable. I'd say the big improvement they need is to add an extension cable with the USB charging cable, for those of us who need to sit more than 6 ft away from the system.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:20 pm 
Team Member*
Team Member*

I agree that the d-pad looks like it would select better for games like gears of war then when you need to be able to do rotational movements like for street fighter it can "transform". Sorry PM_DMNKLR, I don't like the play and charge kit me and my wife play Xbox at the same time on two different Xboxes and we both liked that you can keep playing with it but over time it stopped charging the batteries, probably the contacts got wore out or messed up, not to mention the batteries wore out quicker so we have a quick charge station and there is always a charged battery waiting. overall i like the controller though i think that it is a lot cleaner looking than the original. and when my thumb sticks wear out I'm sure I'll get a new one. on a side note i also don't like the concave top on the thumb sticks so i replaced mine with some from here and it made a world of difference for me! :twisted: not trying to sell anything just a opinion.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:09 am 
Willamette
Willamette

I do agree that there are drawbacks to the PnC kit, the charging cable has its issues for some, while others may have no issues at all. I personally prefer to use Energizer 2400Mah rechargeable AA's. I use em with my 360, Wii, etc. and rarely have to change out batteries. The downside of them NOT selling it as a bundle, is that they'd in turn not have enough of the PnC standalone kits, and would get complaints about that too. Regardless, it's a win-lose situation for them. There's also the possibility that, you never know, they may have also improved the PnC kit that they're shipping with this new controller, and just haven't said anything. We can only hope, right?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:36 am 
Team Member*
Team Member*

Very true I just wish some times that even though I love my xbox games and online multi. that like PSN I could get it for free, I know I will keep dreaming :) you guys heard the xbox live subs are going up, I think 10 bucks, right?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:03 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

I saw the new prices, they didn't look any different (at first glance, til I noticed the $59.99, instead of $49.99), but if they do keep raising the price, I'll tell Microsoft where to stick it, and stick with my PC and Wii for online gaming. I haven't played a single round online through Xbox Live in a year, so it's not likely to bother me regardless. The vast majority of my gaming online is on the PC, has always been that way, always will be. $5/month still really isn't that bad.

As for the supposed advantages of the "new" controller, I don't believe it's going to be noticeable, just something else for people to whine about. I personally hate the button colors idea, it's stupid. They chose those colors initially for a specific reason. It's going to confuse a lot of people if they get a new controller and haven't really used an original before, especially if they read any user guides or anything, cuz a lot of them use colors to indicate buttons instead of the letters.

Additionally, for those looking to get a decent deal, Microsoft is sending current Live silver and gold members emails, giving the opportunity to purchase an additional 12 months at $39.99, before the price goes up.

Last edited by PM_DMNKLR on Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:04 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

The new color scheme might be nice, but the D-Pad - after the video explained it, it seemed pointless to complain about the D-Pad. So turning the D-Pad to "unlock" it will disable the diagonal directions? Seems like a waste, since the price is through the roof.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:26 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

My sentiments exactly.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:48 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

I spent approximately 82 cents on my gamepad for my PC. I took an old Xbox controller, 25 or so cents of solder, 25 cents of electrical tape, and about 32 cents of duct tape. If I had to buy the gamepad, the price would have gone up $4 bucks, but that's still almost 10 times the price.

I guess if you have to use the controller on a console, though, and it's only twice what you normally... eh.