Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: CS:Source Freezing Computer.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:35 pm 

Hi all, I'm having a problem with Counter Strike:Source. I just downloaded it off Steam and when i hit the play button it says it preparing the game for launch and then goes to a black blank screen, no sound and no picture, and the only way to get out of it is to hold down the power button and shut it off. I've already deleted and reinstalled it which did nothing.

System Specs:
Win7 Pro. 64bit
6 gigs DDR3
i7 930
SAPPHIRE Vapor-X 100281VX-2SR Radeon HD 5870
Comodo Firewall
Avira Anti Virus.

If I've left anything out just leme know.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: CS:Source Freezing Computer.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:04 am 
Northwood
Northwood

This happened to me once, but I don't know if it's for the same reason, but it couldn't hurt to try.
Change your launch options. You need to add " -h X -w Y -refresh Z", where X/Y/Z are height/width/refresh rate. So for example, " -h 1050 -w 1680 -refresh 60".

Post subject: Re: CS:Source Freezing Computer.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:14 pm 

Well thanks for showing me that option, unfortunately that didn't fix the problem but upon a little googling I found how to start it in windowed mode and that finally got it to work(on a side note I also am having the same problem with The Orange Box, but does run Crysis and BF2 at max settings with no problem in full screen mode).

I believe its a driver issue with my card, because if I go into catalyst center and attempt to change the monitor resolution it does the same blank screen and computer freeze, however, if I right click n my desktop and click on "Screen Resolution" and change Windows itself it works and can be changed to whatever res. I want. Tried this with 2 different sets of drivers and got same results.

So I might need to ask this question in the free clinic forum..unless anyone has had the same issue before.

Again thanks for the help.