Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Games are getting more difficult
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:09 pm 

Compared to the days of Half-Life, I believe games are harder to play these days. I love the Stalker games and really enjoyed CoP but I am having trouble with Clear Sky. The same goes for Call of Duty MW2 which is a lot harder than BFBC2. Playing on easy or regular should not result in immediate death upon spawning or require saving games every ten seconds. I like the challenge but at least make it playable.

Post subject: Re: Games are getting more difficult
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:54 pm 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

ripple wrote:
Compared to the days of Half-Life, I believe games are harder to play these days. I love the Stalker games and really enjoyed CoP but I am having trouble with Clear Sky. The same goes for Call of Duty MW2 which is a lot harder than BFBC2. Playing on easy or regular should not result in immediate death upon spawning or require saving games every ten seconds. I like the challenge but at least make it playable.

I found MW2 to be far to easy on normal TBH. I had to turn it up all the way just to get a challenge out of it. As for Clear Sky, I've played through it on the Master Difficulty level and found it to be an absolute blast. It's one of those games that just becomes more immersive when the risk is heightened and you successfully pull off a raid or survive and ambush from mutants. Again, like with MW2, the lower difficulties I thought we're to easy (though they are meant to be so I can't say I didn't see that one coming).

Considering all the things we have in games now that are practically mandatory (checkpoints, save system, difficulty settings, continues, cheat codes) I'd say games have gotten progressively easier of the last 10 years. 20 YEARS ago they were absolutely brutal. I can only think of a half dozen SNES games I've beaten of our library of 20 or so vs beating pretty much every game I've purchased over the last 10 years.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:17 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

ripple wrote:

I ran through the MW2 campaign with easy on Normal.

The Stalker games require a different approach .. maybe you're just not playing it properly.

At any rate, you just need a little practice and patient .. every game is different. After 30+ years of playing video games, I can't say I've noticed them getting more difficult. Some are, some aren't.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:16 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

With the ability to gauge how difficult something is, you don't notice it really. I remember hitting some rough spots with inFamous on Normal. But, it was doable.

I still can't figure out how some people play games on hardcore/extreme - where one shot takes you out.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:51 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

You want difficult? Play NES games, there's your challenge, like the MegaMan series, Zelda series, etc. Today's games are just more user-intuitive and require more realistic skill and devotion than the games of yore. Also yes, I agree with the SNES titles too, such as Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts. That one's frickin' hard!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:42 am 

I'm really looking forward to the Fallout: New Vegas hardcore mode. It just not about making mobs harder to kill but makes just about everything harder.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:00 pm 

F:NV is going to be a midnight release pickup for me. The original Fallout games were some of the most glorious points in PC gaming. The new games have lost MOST of what made the first ones great but they are good in their own way.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:30 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

i do think that while some games are getting tougher, the majority of video games are seemingly easy. For example, the modern warfare series was quite easy on Normal and even the one before Veteran difficulties. I find shooters fairly straightforward and easy, since FPS games don't change much besides graphics/main objective. Only the guns change or context of storyline/setting. Most FPS games are very consistent in spawn locations/triggered event locations, so each playthrough of a level then requires remembering what is going to happen at specific moments, which in turn makes it seem easier to a degree. Harder difficulties also then require knowledge of the levels, and then require extra reaction times and strategies. Left for Dead, for me, was difficult to learn since it was the first time playing, but after a few games, it got really easy, even with bots for help after like, 50 playthroughs.

As games get more and more the same to one another in their genres, i think that the games actually get easier if the "standard" or "usual" game formulas don't change at all or very little.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:32 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

The easiest way to get over games being 'too easy' is to play multiplayer games online.

Left4Dead2 campaign? Easy.
Left4Dead2 Versus? Muahahahahahahaa.