Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: CIV 5 Draws Near!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:46 am 

Can definitely tell I haven't played this since the first Civ. I feel lost and confused to say the least. I'm doing the tutorial walkthrough thing right now where they give you tips and such while you play and the Advisors help you a good deal. Still it's a good deal of fun so far.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:59 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

First win with the Americans .. a diplomatic victory in which I didn't ever go to war. Bonus points for irony.

Second win with the Aztecs ... total domination. Defeated the French in 1200AD to rule the whole gd world.

Gotta step back for a bit now .. :P

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:06 am 

Still on my first go using the tutorial play. I really like how they implemented the tutorial while you play game. It's really helpful since I haven't played Civ since the first one. I do know one thing, I really like the TBS vs. RTS. I can take my time and think things out and actually read the descriptions on things without having to feel rushed and having to worry about being taken over in a few moves because the computer player can think instantly.

One thing is for sure, this game is addictive. I started last night around 11pm right after I got done my Criminology homework and next thing I know it's going on 1 am. This was the 2nd night I had played it and enjoyed it much more than the first night. I'm hooked now.

How do you build your cities? Do you keep them somewhat close together or do you spread them out really far?

Also do you have one city build all your warriors and then disperse them between the cities or how do you typically run things?

What's the best buildings to build first or do you listen to what your advisers tell you to do?
Just looking for some tips or strategies you guys might use to help me out a bit.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:37 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Ok, well, I have played for a bit so I can say a few things about strategy.

First, it is not Civ 4. The winning strategies in Civ IV definitely do NOT apply.

Resource management is much more important .. therefore, city placement is key. You want your cities near a variety of resources. Iron and horses are most important initially .. by the time other resources become important, you'll have colonized most everything.

Your first two cities should be within a dozen or so hexes. You want to be able to link them up with roads as quickly as possible. Buying units is an important and easy strategy.

In previous Civs, you had to balance early exploration with defense of your cities. Now, cities are able to defend themselves .. so early units are good for exploration and clearing out barbarians. They are an easy source of XP for your units and, if you keep your units alive through the game, that becomes key as well.

City placement: you want at least two hexes with good production capability ... hills mainly, though special resources sometimes help. You need food to expand and to keep your population growing as well .. so a wheat or fish or two is important as well.

Luxury resources are important for keeping your populace happy. If they aren't happy, you can't expand. Remember, though, that you get a happiness bonus from each type of resource: whether you have 1 or 5 dyes, you get the same happiness bonus. Additional resources are good for trading but useless otherwise (other than the benefit of harvesting that hex).

Manage your own cities. Keep an eye on what each city is good for (production, gold, culture) and build the city with that in mind.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:11 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Sounds fun. I've never played any Civilization game but I have played Alpha Centauri which was very similar except in based only in the future.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:24 am 

This game is the devil and has sucked me in. :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:31 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Hehehe .. yeah, me too.

I've achieved the cultural victory (with Egyptians) and it was the most fun of my games so far. Culture is an excellent addition to this game, imo.

If you want a fun game, try playing for a cultural victory on a large Archipelao style map with low water level .. it'll give you big islands to colonize without much interference from other societies. A cultural victory will really teach you about resource management because you need a lot of resources to build enough culture to max out 5 branches of the culture tree.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:02 am 

That's one thing I'm working on right now still trying to "learn" the aspects of the past 4 games they built into this one, plus all the new stuff in this one alone. It's been a ton of fun though so far. I'm still on my Roman game. Only getting to play it a few hours or so here and there because of school work and my wife and kids, but it's a blast. Right now I'm just crushing up on the Germans. They are basically planted right beside me, but they are slow. I have like 6 cities compared to their 2. They are going down. I'm debating just building up and armor and taking them down.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:33 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

I'm wondering how i'm going to get any work done this semester with SC2, Civ V, and Reach sitting around my house.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:42 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Self-discipline? ;)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:24 am 
Million Club - 10 Plus
Million Club - 10 Plus

Looks like it is getting bad reviews, lots of bugs and crashing. Anyone having any of those issues?

E

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:20 am 

Havent had a chance to check out reviews, too busy playing. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:35 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Phosphorous wrote:
Havent had a chance to check out reviews, too busy playing. :lol:

Me too.

Hasn't crashed once in over 20 hours of play.

I have experienced one bug .. I received multiple notifications of a barbarian trireme after I'd already destroyed it. Once I started the next turn, the problem went away.

The only complaint that I have is that the AI has no understanding of tactical combat. The changes made to this edition of Civ .. particularly the inability to stack units and the use of ranged units .. has made combat tactics crucially important. The AI doesn't seem to pay much attention to flanking or other basic concepts of warfare. This is true, at least, up to the Prince level of difficulty. As the Chinese, I recently swept my continent free of the Japanese and the Greeks without breaking a sweat.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:28 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

EasyE wrote:
Looks like it is getting bad reviews, lots of bugs and crashing. Anyone having any of those issues?

E

well they just released a patch a day or so ago, but strangely enough it didnt fix the problems i've been having. It hasnt crashed on me yet, but it seems to really want me to watch the intro until i mash every button on my keyboard like six or seven times, and it on dual monitors it doesnt lock the mouse to the game monitor so if you try to pan to the right your mouse just goes over to your other monitor. You can get it to pan but you have to position your mouse to just slightly in the other monitor and hold it there.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:34 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Stop hitting buttons. The intro video plays until the game is loaded.

A bit lame, I admit.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:56 pm 

I was wondering why the damn thing wouldn't stop playing that after the first time I watched it. I've been mashing buttons too. And here I thought it was my magic ALT+TAB out of the game, ALT+TAB back in mash some keys and it always seemed to work. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:56 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

:lol:

Nope .. just a bad design.