Little Foot
Little Foot

Wow, really? I still feel compelled to get it though. LoL

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:51 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

PM_DMNKLR wrote:
I adamantly refuse to purchase a game that I cannot play offline, and without having to have an internet connection! Blizzard can take this game and shove it up their asses for all I care!

Until they change this requirement, I'll not purchase the game

This this this this this. I could not agree more with this sentiment.

Sucks. Will. Not. Buy.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:36 am 
Northwood
Northwood

MattGreer wrote:
PM_DMNKLR wrote:
I adamantly refuse to purchase a game that I cannot play offline, and without having to have an internet connection! Blizzard can take this game and shove it up their asses for all I care!

Until they change this requirement, I'll not purchase the game

This this this this this. I could not agree more with this sentiment.

Sucks. Will. Not. Buy.

Then you must have stopped reading right there to post ignorantly without reading my followup statement.

Post subject: Re: StarCraft II
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:38 am 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

Do you have stock invested in Blizzard or something, trying to get everyone you know to shell out $60 for the game? If people don't like the game for that reason, then they can just not buy it, and you're no worse off for it. No need to defend the game as if they had just insulted your mother.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:20 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Dwood15 wrote:
Then you must have stopped reading right there to post ignorantly without reading my followup statement.

No reason to get all pissy there, bro. In life, it's OK if people disagree with you. It's bound to happen occasionally.

I read your post. But the term "Guest" implies a limitation, probably that you don't have access to your account, so you can't play the campaign as you would have otherwise.

Since I don't own the game, maybe you can help me understand how things are set up. With the original, I had an "account", and so did others. I played through the campaign, and others did too, whomever had access to the computer, at their own speed, some faster, some slower, etc. Is this capability built into the game such that you can continue through the campaign when offline?

Also, from what I understand, you can create one and only one account attached to the game. I'm also assuming that you and other people cannot move through the campaign independently. Is this true? Only one true account per serial number?

Does Blizzard allow you to install "Spawn" copies and play LAN games with your friends? I think we all know the answer to that one.

Again, like I said, I don't own the game. So if you could, politely, tell me a bit about the account creation process, how many people can have access to the game independently, and if you don't have Internet access how a "guest" account will suffice in place of your own account. kk thx

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:09 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

IF you have a blizzard account from World o Warcraft, you can link the SC2 game key to your account, which allows you the user to gain access to unlockable avatars and achievements. after creating an account, you can sign into battle.net and set a profile name to use in SC2 lobbies. You can also add friends from a Facebook profile that also have the game (and makes it easier to see who has not bought it yet). if you don't have a battlenet account, you are propmpted to create one, even before going into the SP menus.

my friend was over the other day and he decided to log onto his bnet account from my PC. it looked like he could play the storyline and MP, but i am not sure if he was able to unlock achievements in Guest mode. it looks to be really, a one key, one account system. i think guests can play on your account, but achievements are not recorded for them while in guest mode (if that makes sense).

if for some reason battle.net is down, you will be unable to connect even in offline mode, thus unable to play at all. i found the account creation to be very easy, due to wealth of instruction prompts. i do still find the multiplayer setup menus and chat feature a bit cumbersome. for $59,99, if the next installment of the game doesn't happen for another 15 years, the game's current price tag is not so bad.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:48 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

bingojubes wrote:
if for some reason battle.net is down, you will be unable to connect even in offline mode, thus unable to play at all.

Someone around here might call you ignorant for such a statement. Are you sure you can't play, at all, if you can't connect to battle.net?? If that's true, why, that other person might be wrong.

Inconceivable! 8)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:18 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

well i was unable to get online after loading up SC2, just before the recent patching. It said that the connection to Battle.net could not be completed, and i could not get to the SP menus. all i could do was exit the game. given it was the first time i was unable to connect to battle.net since the game's release, it seemed like something that should be mentioned, right or wrong.

thankfully the servers have been really good, and with all the people playing, i have not had to boot anyone from the map via kick vote.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:42 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

So, according to your experience, without an internet connection you can't play the game?

Seems like someone owes me an apology. However, I doubt I'll get it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:01 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

Spartacus wrote:
Do you have stock invested in Blizzard or something, trying to get everyone you know to shell out $60 for the game? If people don't like the game for that reason, then they can just not buy it, and you're no worse off for it. No need to defend the game as if they had just insulted your mother.

Uhm you didn't read my post either?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:34 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Dwood15 wrote:
Spartacus wrote:

Since you're so keen on people reading your post, try reading some on this page. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:41 pm 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

Dwood15 wrote:
Spartacus wrote:

I did... so? You're missing the main point over semantics.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:51 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

MattGreer wrote:
So, according to your experience, without an internet connection you can't play the game?

Seems like someone owes me an apology. However, I doubt I'll get it.

Not with this pissy-teenager-I-was-right attitude, no.

"In life, it's OK if people disagree with you. It's bound to happen occasionally."

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:55 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

According to Blizzard, you can play offline in Guest mode. You have to hit the 'Guest' button on the login screen.

Guest mode allows you to play all of the campaign modes and single-player-vs-AI.

What you don't get is any achievements earned while playing.

So .. I've got this big ole plate of humble pie. Who needs a fork?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:33 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I dunno jippy, Blizzard says one thing, and a guy a few posts up says it isn't so. I freely admit I don't have the game, and asked for people to inform me. So while we're on the subject, do you own the game? Can you confirm whether or not this "guest" account works?

I suppose what's a tad confusing for me is why you would call it a "guest" account (or is it "guest mode") when I would have thought you would simply call it "offline mode". Why differentiate between the two?

Anyway, experience is king, so Mr. Jipstyle, please tell us of your experience playing or watching someone play the game firsthand. Thanks!! If you're right, that would be fantastic and I would certainly reconsider if/when I buy the game.

Last edited by MattGreer on Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:44 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

More than anything, I like a nice wicker chair. :lol:

Last edited by MattGreer on Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:05 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

MattGreer wrote:
I dunno jippy, Blizzard says one thing, and a guy a few posts up says it isn't so. I freely admit I don't have the game, and asked for people to inform me. So while we're on the subject, do you own the game? Can you confirm whether or not this "guest" account works?

I suppose what's a tad confusing for me is why you would call it a "guest" account (or is it "guest mode") when I would have thought you would simply call it "offline mode". Why differentiate between the two?

Anyway, experience is king, so Mr. Jipstyle, please tell us of your experience playing or watching someone play the game firsthand. Thanks!! If you're right, that would be fantastic and I would certainly reconsider if/when I buy the game.

it works you just have to connect to the internet every 30 days to reactivate SC2.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:15 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Jipstyle wrote:
According to Blizzard, you can play offline in Guest mode. You have to hit the 'Guest' button on the login screen.

Guest mode allows you to play all of the campaign modes and single-player-vs-AI.

What you don't get is any achievements earned while playing.

So .. I've got this big ole plate of humble pie. Who needs a fork?

Thank you for clearing it all up.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:55 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

MattGreer wrote:

I'm right. I've played the game, offline, in guest mode.

Why it is called 'guest mode' is unclear to me as well. The important thing is that you can play the game offline.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:56 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

bathtbgin wrote:
it works you just have to connect to the internet every 30 days to reactivate SC2.

And that right there, of course, is what was being made as the point of issue. It's not truly offline mode if you have to get online and reactivate it, or rather "check in", every month, that's just plain ridiculous and absurd. That is exactly why I will not be getting this game. I was going to get it, believing it would be playable even after I have to get rid of my web service, which will be soon, however it won't be playable, so therefore it's pointless to waste my time and money on it. Again, Blizzard can shove it up their arsenal, very very hard with a sheet of nail-and-glass-covered sandpaper. :D