Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: StarCraft II
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:00 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

You're right .. if you don't have an internet connection, you don't deserve SC2.

:P

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:48 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Jipstyle wrote:
You're right .. if you don't have an internet connection, you don't deserve SC2.

:P

Well that's just absurd as a turd, from a bird, on the head of a nerd, who hadn't heard the word, which is the bird, cuz the bird is the word, who lured the nerd with a bowl of cheese curds, which looked like the word bird's turds.

Yes, that made just about as much sense as what I quoted you saying Jip, lol, maybe more so even.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:08 pm 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

For me it has nothing to do with the fact that people without an internet connection can't play it. If you don't have internet access, my guess is you're in a financial situation a bit too pressing to be spending money on video games. It's the principle- its just more bullshit DRM that can screw you over much more often than it stops pirates.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:14 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Spartacus wrote:
For me it has nothing to do with the fact that people without an internet connection can't play it. If you don't have internet access, my guess is you're in a financial situation a bit too pressing to be spending money on video games. It's the principle- its just more bullshit DRM that can screw you over much more often than it stops pirates.

Actually there are a lot more reasons for not having internet access than you imply. There are still a lot of places in the world where the infrastructure is just not there to have internet access at home. I myself have experienced this living overseas.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:24 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Actually, I know of a good handful of my friends who won't be getting the game due to that bogus crap. 1 in particular won't get it because where he lives, there's no broadband provider around, only satellite or dial-up, and of course the satellite web is a joke where he's at, so he has dial-up. Ever try to connect to battle.net on 56k? Not happening, or at least not on any of his pc's, which are all decent systems. Besides, SC2 requires a broadband connection, as defined by the term "always on".

I myself am considering dropping my web service primarily because I really don't have a need for it any more. I can walk down to the library in town and do pretty much 100% of the stuff I normally do at home, and I don't have to pay them a dime for it. It's not always a financial bind that is behind dropping internet, a lot of times it's because it's just simply a waste of money. In all honesty, the only reason I'd see to keep mine, is to play TF2, of which I can live without, and it by itself is not worth paying $65 to $75 a month for.

Methinks I'll just keep playing SC1 for my SC fix, unless Blizzard changes their tune and decides to adjust how they do things with "offline" mode. Plus it's not like I don't have a whole crap-load of other games to play through still, I think I have around 25 to 30 in my collection that I can start up on again, and some I've just made sure that they worked and then uninstalled them and put 'em aside for a later date. Dang I miss playing Dawn of War :twisted: .

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:05 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

My real honest-to-goodness beef with the whole "check in" procedure when it comes to games is, what if I want to play the game 10+ years from now?

In the case of battle.net, it's been around for frikkin-ever. So I doubt it'll "go under" and cease to exist any time soon. But I'm in the process of building a new rig and I can't wait to play X-Wing, Mechwarrior 3, Psychonauts, Command & Conquer, Quake 1, 2, 3, and 4, Doom3 (with 5.1 sound this time), and everything else I've missed over the past 6 years since I built my last rig (yes, I cannot wait to play Portal, rofl). X-Wing came out in, what, '95? It's been a while, and it's a great game. But if the DRM engine has gone the way of the dodo, I'm a stuck duck, and my license to play the game has expired and was temporary, despite the fact that I was under the impression that I was buying the ability to play the game as long as I had the media and the hardware to run it.

Assassin's Creed 2, anyone? (Holy crap, it's just $15 on Amazon, gets 1 1/2 stars lol...) How long do you guys really think those servers going to be around?

Perhaps we can hope that these companies will have the foresight and consideration to issue a patch that will allow folks to use the game even though the company/servers are gone.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:38 pm 
Team Creamsicles
Team Creamsicles

For those who do have sc2, my username is DarthKhan and id is 991. I haven't really touched the campaign at all. Multiplayer is where its at. I'm probably not even going to buy the other 2 campaigns.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:48 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Campaign is actually quite good.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:53 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

bathtbgin wrote:
it works you just have to connect to the internet every 30 days to reactivate SC2.

I haven't seen that....

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:20 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

AZNgamerX800 wrote:
Campaign is actually quite good.

I agree, its pretty good and challenging, especially the All In mission.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:24 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Dwood15 wrote:
There is an offline mode, we call it "Guest" mode.

This has never worked, my game is up todate, I have re-installed it, and even installed it on another computer at a different location, and I tried again today while battlenet was down for repairs (I was online last night) - Offline mode / guess account does not work for everyone and blizzard knows it but has yet to fix it even though they say they did in one of their patches! :evil:

$60 was far too much for this game!

MattGreer wrote:
Perhaps we can hope that these companies will have the foresight and consideration to issue a patch that will allow folks to use the game even though the company/servers are gone.

To guarantee that we can keep playing should the company shut down, it should be mandatory that they release a patch two years after release which removes the DRM.

Also, has any of this DRM garbage actually stopped any from pirating the game? I know two guys that have this game, they just can't go online. It's great that I paid and can't play, and they can play right now...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:56 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Well, I bought the game. I loved the original SC and so I figure, what the heck.

I entered my valid name and address into the "browser" and created my battle.net account. After about a week, I decided that I wanted to make some changes.

1. You can change your name, but you have to email tech support. Tech support seems pretty nice and they responded within 24 hours. The response did have a human at the end of it who addressed all my questions.

2. You cannot change or delete your character once it is created. I run a gaming group and decided that there's enough interest in the game to warrant the "clan tag", as it were. I wanted to add it to my character name. Can't do it. They say I might be able to do it in the future, but they do not allow "vanity" changes at this time. Ugh. But the other ramification is that you can't "reset" the game once you've started.

3. I don't think there's a real reason to put your real name and address into your battle.net account. That being said, if you want to make sure people don't find out who you are, you can enable the parental controls and hide your RealID information. I haven't tried it yet, but this seems reasonable.

Last edited by MattGreer on Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:23 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

MattGreer wrote:
Well, I bought the game. I loved the original SC and so I figure, what the heck.

I entered my valid name and address into the "browser" and created my battle.net account. After about a week, I decided that I wanted to make some changes.

1. You can change your name, but you have to email tech support. Tech support seems pretty nice and they responded within 24 hours. The response did have a human at the end of it who addressed all my questions.

2. You cannot change or delete your character once it is created. I run a gaming group and decided that there's enough interest in the game to warrant the "clan tag", as it were. Can't do it. They say I might be able to do it in the future.

3. I don't think there's a real reason to put your real name and address into your battle.net account. That being said, if you want to make sure people don't find out who you are, you can enable the parental controls and hide your RealID information. I haven't tried it yet, but this seems reasonable.

I did the something similar, and entered my real first name when first playing starcraft, thinking it was setup like the first game as just a way to separate save games. Well neither you nor I read the WARNING on the front page that says, THIS WILL BE YOUR PERMANENT NAME SO THINK OF A GOOD ONE. I can understand blizzards reasoning behind the one name per product key policy in that they didnt want top level players creating smurf accounts to go beat up on noobs, but you should be able to change your screen name. They have said they are planning on letting you do that in the near future but with blizzard that could take a while.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:33 am 
like a rock - waitaminute, I AM a rock
like a rock - waitaminute, I AM a rock

I like SC2. In some ways it's more of the same, unit pathing isn't all that improved and the stupid fixed-size interface is crap, and it doesn't zoom out enough, there needs to be one more level of zoom-out. However it's also fun because it's more of the same.

I didn't mind paying the money for this game. It was worth it. There weren't any bugs that affected my game play and it didn't crash on me at all (yet). The campaigns are well worth the time, unlike the first installment of the game where the campaigns weren't all that interesting.

The only part that frustrated me was using the firebats, medics, the building and unit upgrades that are in the campaign only to have them taken away in multi-player version. On one hand it does give a sneak peak at the units likely to be included in the expansion(s), on the other hand it's a tease and it frustrates me to see that they are coded and ready to go, but you just can't use them.

Time will tell about the pricing for the expansions... if it's been officially announced yet I haven't seen that anywhere.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:34 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Obsidian wrote:
I like SC2. In some ways it's more of the same, unit pathing isn't all that improved and the stupid fixed-size interface is crap, and it doesn't zoom out enough, there needs to be one more level of zoom-out. However it's also fun because it's more of the same.

I didn't mind paying the money for this game. It was worth it. There weren't any bugs that affected my game play and it didn't crash on me at all (yet). The campaigns are well worth the time, unlike the first installment of the game where the campaigns weren't all that interesting.

The only part that frustrated me was using the firebats, medics, the building and unit upgrades that are in the campaign only to have them taken away in multi-player version. On one hand it does give a sneak peak at the units likely to be included in the expansion(s), on the other hand it's a tease and it frustrates me to see that they are coded and ready to go, but you just can't use them.

Time will tell about the pricing for the expansions... if it's been officially announced yet I haven't seen that anywhere.

from what i understand they removed the units from multiplayer due to balance concerns. i mean people are already complaining about terran being over powered, i'd hate to see what it would have been like if they had two different cloaked air units, 2 medical units, and a tank that could fire when moving.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:40 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

if Starcraft 2 allowed the entire Terran tech tree online, the zerg better get lurkers back. but then the lurker has been replaced online with a mobile spine crawler/sunken colony. wish they sped up the rooting process for said zerg unit. the zerg seem to be getting crap for build times, but it could be my lack of experience. Does anyone use the Charge (Zealot) ability? i saw it being used in the teaser footage, but i don't seem to be noticing its full use online, unless on a custom map.

Defense maps are fun again.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:14 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

The lurker can NEVER be replaced. What made it work was its under-ground and still attack ability... Zerg need better cloaked units, like a lurker. The roaches just don't do it for me.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:09 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

bingojubes wrote:
if Starcraft 2 allowed the entire Terran tech tree online, the zerg better get lurkers back. but then the lurker has been replaced online with a mobile spine crawler/sunken colony. wish they sped up the rooting process for said zerg unit. the zerg seem to be getting crap for build times, but it could be my lack of experience. Does anyone use the Charge (Zealot) ability? i saw it being used in the teaser footage, but i don't seem to be noticing its full use online, unless on a custom map.

The entire terran tech tree isn't used online. There's numerous units that aren't used. The charge ability for the zealot is extremely helpful as they quickly close in the distance against the enemy units.

Quote:
Defense maps are fun again.

x2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:00 am 

My son, who is in college, decided I needed to play SC2 so he got it for me for ma birthday last week. I am a total RTS noob... wait... make that old RTS noob...!

How old? I played Ultima 1 when it was just released...

But I digress...

I am enjoying the campaign. Noob friendly, good tutorials.

I read everywhere you must learn the hot keys... I don't have enough brain cells left (high school class 1977) so casual play is ma thing.

Slowly move the mouse around and click whatever... why rush it?!

Is there a Senior Citizens gaming league or SC2 server?

Can't wait for Diablo 3!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:19 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

You should try Civ V then .. it is turn-based, so you can take your time and really develop a strategy. Much more fun, imo. I don't like click-fests for strategy games any more than I like speed chess.