It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: StarCraft II
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:47 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

No thread on SCII really?

WTH gaise?

So far, I am a fan.... dislike no LAN, but that seems to be the way of the future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:01 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

My friend gave me a demo, but I can't try it out for a week and a half since I am moving :( Oh well, not really into RTS's, but it looks pretty sweet. Maybe I will buy it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:18 am 
Northwood
Northwood

Why spend $60 on a game? Most of us here have a backlog of 20 games we spent $5/pop on on Steam, anyway, so yeah.

And the ones who do have it (aka the people who waited almost as long as the TFC crowd) sure as hell won't spend their free time talking on a forum about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:24 am 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

$60 for a third of a game without real LAN support? No thanks, I'll wait until it comes down to $30.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:34 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Spartacus wrote:
$60 for a third of a game without real LAN support? No thanks, I'll wait until it comes down to $30.

A third of a game? It has more playable content than the original.

Yes, it only features content for one race .. but the actual volume of content is greater.

They chose a different focus.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:30 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

I personally like where they're going with it, and as for LAN, just host a web-based game and have a mini-LAN setup where you set pwd's and the people in your group just login to the web-based matches thru your web connection, there's almost always a workaround. Just hope you have a really stable and good connection, lol. I personally never bothered with LAN matches anyway, I actually prefer the offline stuff more than the online, to be honest. I think I might actually have a chance to get this game now too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:49 pm 

I was a little surprised there was no thread as well. I've only had time to play through the first few levels, but had a great time doing it.

Most other people are outraged. The Battle.net SCII form is a big troll hate fest. For every guy or gal who says they've enjoyed it, there is ten more complaining about some feature. Blizzard was pretty strait forward about the content, the lack of lan support, and other little tid bits. So i suppose if you bought it anyway, its your own fault?

Regardless, they've said some major issues will be addressed in the first patch, but the bashing from the community was/is pretty harsh.

I've owned and played the game regularly since it's release in the 90's...and it's everything I've hoped for. I don't make buckets of money, but i save for thing that are important to me. A 60$ game for a 1500$ computer seams reasonable in my case (though I don't much like the comparison)....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:55 pm 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

Jipstyle wrote:
Spartacus wrote:

Yes, it only features content for one race .. but the actual volume of content is greater.

Yeah and then they get to charge $60 for the other two campaigns.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:48 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Spartacus wrote:
Jipstyle wrote:
Spartacus wrote:

Why not?

If you're getting a full game for each $60, that seems to be full value.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:26 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I bought the game, and have been some what happy with it so far. Now I am ticked though! Battlenet is down, so I can't play single player?!!?!?!? It should be that if the game detects a problem with connecting to battlenet, it would let you play single player...

While I am at it - here are the other things I am rather annoyed about.

The CGI is great, but not nearly enough of it - the between mission cut scenes are as terrible as Bet on soldier's (not many people might remember that game, it is from 2005... and wasn't that great for it's time either)

I didn't play the original Starcraft, but I did play Warcraft III - this game seems exactly the same. What have they been doing all these years, just making a mod? Also Warcraft III wasn't broken up into three different games. Yes there was an expansion, but even that was longer then Starcraft II...

I have no plans on buying the next "two games". To those that are waiting for all three parts to come out - you are doing the right thing, this is not a must play.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:44 pm 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

Jipstyle wrote:
Spartacus wrote:
Jipstyle wrote:
Spartacus wrote:

Why not?

If you're getting a full game for each $60, that seems to be full value.

Indeed, why not? Its an extremely successful money grab for Blizzard so far. I'll keep my money in my pocket for now though. If others want to throw down $180 for StarCraft II, that's between them and their pocketbook.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:37 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

After more careful reading online and on the box, I've opted out of purchasing this game regardless. I adamantly refuse to purchase a game that I cannot play offline, and without having to have an internet connection! Blizzard can take this game and shove it up their asses for all I care!

Until they change this requirement, I'll not purchase the game, and a large group of my friends (especially my gaming clan) won't either, we pretty much all decided this together. We're sick of Blizzard and their BS, which is really bad, considering we used to all be hardcore Blizzard fans and players (until WoW came out and we all decided it wasn't worth bothering with after getting it, lol).

Up yours Blizzard, up yours hardcore with a dwarven hammer, you retarded sons of bitches!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:55 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

There is an offline mode, we call it "Guest" mode.

Also, I have a free trial of it if someone wants to play, and here's a short review:

Overall the art style sucks, the game has a dark and foreboding story however the sound track and the style of the buildings as well as terrain/vegetation in the game do not reflect the story.

Gameplay is solid and builds on the previous version's gameplay, as far as multiplayer goes the game is very solid in every area except what has kept Starcraft, and Warcraft 3 alive all these years: Custom Games. Just go on the Starcraft 2 Custom Games subforum section to read about the problems. The Quickmatch is very solid, however. (May your deity of Choice help you if it's a Team Quickmatch and you are Arranged VS Random teams)

Also, there are many leagues and divisions in your leagues so no matter who you are you can feel special (how about being 7th in a 10 man division of one league?)

Region locking is a HUGE annoyance, especially the part where I can't even add a friend who has Starcraft II just to chat cross-region.

Campaign- Good Story, that ALONE is worth buying the game for.

PM me if you want a trial key to play the game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:12 am 

For once I am glad I suck so profoundly at RTS, since I won't be tempted to purchase. I am downloading the 7 hour trial, so that will be enough to satisfy my curiosity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:15 am 
Northwood
Northwood

PM_DMNKLR wrote:
After more careful reading online and on the box, I've opted out of purchasing this game regardless. I adamantly refuse to purchase a game that I cannot play offline, and without having to have an internet connection! Blizzard can take this game and shove it up their asses for all I care!

Until they change this requirement, I'll not purchase the game, and a large group of my friends (especially my gaming clan) won't either, we pretty much all decided this together. We're sick of Blizzard and their BS, which is really bad, considering we used to all be hardcore Blizzard fans and players (until WoW came out and we all decided it wasn't worth bothering with after getting it, lol).

Up yours Blizzard, up yours hardcore with a dwarven hammer, you retarded sons of bitches!

Uh... yeah, that's my excuse too! I'll back you up. Although while you're breaking their windows with the hammer, I'll stand guard with a sock full of nickels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:29 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I played the beta and liked it... Still not convinced on dropping $60 on SC2 when I've got Worms Reloaded pre-ordered and Black Ops on the horizon.

That and when I bought the original SC I only paid like $20. So...I can wait a year or two for it to drop to $30 (I think).

Post subject: Re: StarCraft II
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:35 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Even though I LOVE watching SC2 recordings and am very into the story and gameplay I still cannot justify the $60 price tag right now. After saying that it will still probably be my only pc game purchase of this year.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:34 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Still looking for a committed (not necessarily GOOD) group for 1,000,000 Zerglings map.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:32 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Ok Im starting to see why it is worth the 60 bucks. Even so I may never be remotely good on the multiplayer side.

One worrisome issue is bothering me a lot though. Do I have to be connected to battle.net just to play single player campaign or AI skirmishes?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:28 am 
Northwood
Northwood

Gilbert_pwns wrote:
Ok Im starting to see why it is worth the 60 bucks. Even so I may never be remotely good on the multiplayer side.

One worrisome issue is bothering me a lot though. Do I have to be connected to battle.net just to play single player campaign or AI skirmishes?

Read posts above yours and you will have your answer.