Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: The Next Big MMO: FFXIV
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:20 am 

Final Fantasy XIV is slated to release on September 22nd for the Collectors Edition Priced at $75 and The Regular Edition will be released on September 30th.

I cant wait for FFXIV it looks so good. Anyone else looking forward to playing it ?

I will probably be a Elezen. The class system is pretty cool so I am not to sure what I am going to pick.

There is lot of info out about it at FFXIVCore

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:30 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

I am looking forward to this as well. WoW has left a pretty bad taste in my mouth.

I am hoping FF15 is much more solo friendly. I will most likley get the PS3 version though. I hope I don't have to pay for PSN Plus to get access to it.

If I do have to pony up for PSN Plus, then PC is the way to go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:41 am 

The release date is out for FFXIV if no one has been following. Special Edition will be released on 22 Sept 2010. The Standard Edition on 30 Sept 2010. Both for pc. Playstation 3 version of ffxiv will be released in march 2011.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:41 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Will this be F2P? OR will it cost 20$/month? not having the experience of playing any of the Final Fantasy games of any kind, if it is F2P, i might take a swing at it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:51 am 

Good question. Basic package will be 12.99 a month. With that you get one character slot and a retainer(npc that you setup to sell stuff for you) For each additional character slot it will be $3 and for extra retainers they will be $1.

Take note that all you really need is one character casue it can switch between all of the classes and you will be able to relocate stat points.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:43 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I am totally not a fan of pve, and seeing as how the PvP was pretty bad in FFXI this isnt on my radar.

Add to it the grind factor of FFXI and yeah, no thanks. For those that are fans though, have fun, I hope you enjoy it.

And since WoW is always brought up, it didnt leave a bad taste in my mouth as its a great game. I am burnt out and there are times when I hated it, but its always been a solid game. Like many other people, I am ready for something new and fresh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:38 am 

There will be a grind in all MMO's, I don’t expect to get things handed to me. At first there will be no PVP but the developers said but they are working on it.

Forget WoW its an ok game but they hand out the gear on it, it was to casual and to me to easy. The story line pre lichking was almost non-existent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:29 am 

So while the concept art and some of the graphics have always looked cool, I've never personally played any final fantasy on a console/pc. I do play a lot of games though and try to find out a bit about everything, and i must say, friends who played the latest release (no idea what number it is) were very disappointed. I don't remember if they said whether it was game play or content, but i respect there opinion.

Anyone here agree? What are the chances they might drop the ball with this new one? I must agree that WoW even during my short play time was just a little overwhelming. To many people, difficult to solo, etc etc. I'm excited for Diablo, which though i haven't played in a while, i remember being more solo friendly. I'd love to get excited about another new MMO but I don't know what to make of this new final Fantasy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:42 am 
Klamath
Klamath

I've been following the alpha & beta testing very closely over the past few months (although I'm not actually a tester myself.. yet!). So far things seem to be going well. They're currently upgrading the servers and tweaking the graphical lag to handle the additional group of testers that just got invited.

I also run an IRC channel for discussing the game and the beta testing, so feel free to stop by and join us if you want to chat or if you're a tester and have some questions/comments/gripes. The channel address is:

irc.gamesurge.net #ffxivbeta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:46 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

JAshtonX wrote:
There will be a grind in all MMO's, I don’t expect to get things handed to me. At first there will be no PVP but the developers said but they are working on it.

Forget WoW its an ok game but they hand out the gear on it, it was to casual and to me to easy. The story line pre lichking was almost non-existent.

"I dont want things handed to me".

Thats what you sadists always say :P
Lineage 2 and AION would be right up your alley.

Since end game pvp is my fun, and I dont enjoy the leveling process, never have and never will, games like Final Fantasy are a no go for me.

And to your hand it to you idea... yeah I completely disagree. For the pve, which I am no fan of, they run raids like its a job. You should hear them talk about it. I have 4 kids and a wife and I would lose my wife and my children if I started to raid. You are saying Final Fantasy is more than that? yeah no thank you.

In PvP nothing is handed to you either. You have to spend alot of time to get gear...and if you want the best gear that means ARENA time and the only way you are going to get that gear is by being good, having a good team, practicing and winning a whole lot.

Final Fantasys idea of scheduled event pvp is unacceptable to me.
For anyone that likes to seriously pvp or do it OFTEN, scheduled events are just bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:55 am 

So what's the difference of PVE being a job or your description of PVP taking a lot of time and practice to be good. How is it you could lose your wife and kids spending all that time PVE, but not with PVP?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:09 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Phosphorous wrote:
So what's the difference of PVE being a job or your description of PVP taking a lot of time and practice to be good. How is it you could lose your wife and kids spending all that time PVE, but not with PVP?

PVE in WoW often referred to as Raiding is like a job. There are set times you play through the week. And while your playing there is not much stopping.

For example, 4 nights a week, 5+ hours a night. During that time I would have to set my attention to playing, consistently. Yeah I might be able to run to the bathroom but all in all, my attention is on that and nothing else.

So how could that cause problems for me at home?
My wife wants help with something, "Honey Im giving Lily a bath, can you change Ophelia?" If everytime she asks me to do something small or large my response is "Sorry Im raiding..." I dont think I need to explain how that would cause problems.

However, if I am just doing random bgs, I stop when I want to stop.

If I was doing arena with a friend, its not a big deal to stop because I am only asking for one person to wait on me. In a raid situation, that would get very old for them too quickly, because I am asking a whole raid to wait on me. And what if lots of people did that, you wouldnt get anything done.

Now if I was single, and no one was waiting on me, awesome. It wouldnt matter to me to burn through some time raiding.

WoW in general can take up a fair amount of time, but at least with what I like to do, WoW and the PvP work around me.

As a direct answer to your question, Pve Raiding is not flexible because of the amount of people it takes to get done. However PvP is often done with a friend or a couple friends and its much more flexible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:16 am 

Do you play other MMO's besides wow?

Post subject: Re: The Next Big MMO: FFXIV
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:35 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

I'm really glad someone made a topic for this. I'm in the process of leaving Aion, have quit WoW for good I hope but have recently pre-order its expansion. Aion seems bland & boring current max level is 55 up from level 50 at launch, crafting system is the worst I've seen. I hope FFXIV will be very good, have seen video's for it and looks very interesting. How is the system requirements for the game its self though?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:56 pm 

I played this game for 2 weeks, and that was it for me. The crafting system controls the entire progression of your toon, and with a new game, there are no crafted items. And you have to be high levels to craft low level items. I was pumped about this one and bought the CE, but for nothing. WoW is better right now than it ever has been, and gladly back in Azeroth. For those of you who haven't been there in a while, Blizzard simply does it best, and are fine tuning at this point. I may come back to FFXIV, but it will be a long time from now.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:30 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

This game was totally crapped on by most reviewers. IGN.com gave it a 5, noting that it should not have been released yet. The free trial period was extended. And, there are talks of revamping the game to address the complaints of the player base. Square Enix released a turd.

It is insane though. When WoW was 1st released and it was loaded with bugs, people still kept playing the mother fucker. It is as if WoW is eternal and untouchable. There isn't anything that seems to be able to stop it. It has gotten so bad, that the "competition" is starting to offer their games for no monthly charge, and move over to a micro transaction model (which I think MAY end up costing more than $15 per month). WoW's growth is in decline, since the player base is not growing at the rate it used to. But, it seems there is no decline on the player base itself.