Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: PC vs. XBOX
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:34 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

This kind of came up in a previous thread, so I figured I would dedicate one to it.

So there has been a couple games that tried to merge PC and XBOX multiplayer. Obviously the console boys got destroyed. The mouse keyboard combo is just too precise for the controller to keep up. But I think they could make it work for an FPS. We won't get into RTS, there is no leveling that playing field. I think they should try again. As a PC gamer whose friends all play XBOX, this would be ideal for me. I think the Call of Duty franchise would be the perfect starting point because it has such a large fan base on both sides.

So what would have to be done to make this fair? Maybe a slight auto-aim while aiming on the controllers, so your crosshairs gravitate ever so slightly to the enemy. Nothing automatic, just when you are moving your crosshairs to the enemy, it will give you the slightest bit of help. Or is anything needed at all? Watching console boys play MW2, it seems like they are able to aim just as easily as I do on the computer. Maybe on a more modern game everything would be fair, unlike when it has been tried in the past.

Also, what games have tried this in the past? Maybe it just needs a big title to get going.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:53 am 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

It would be difficult to do without one side complaining bitterly. Don't help the xbox players and they cry about the PC players with G9x's getting impossible headshots. Help the xbox players too much and the PC players will complain that they have an unfair advantage and that its diluting the game. I'm not sure its such a great idea really. What would be cool is if there were a way for xbox and PS3 players to play multiplayer against each other. That's a pretty level playing field.
EDIT: Shadowrun was the first game to do this. The console players had plenty of advantages over the PC players, but I've still heard stories about PC players getting shunned form the console servers. Also, again, these advantages dilute the value of the PC control scheme, such as turning quickly reducing accuracy. That's one of the best things about the mouse but its taken away for balance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:30 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

I would say just keep them seperate.

Why should someone who pays $1,000 to $2,000 for their game system have to be 'throttled' in anyway? Or, give the console kiddies a foot stool to stand on?

Let the scrubs play with the scrubs (I am one of them).

Unless you have m+k support for the consoles, at the very least.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:58 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

I agree, I would never play a game that is "throttled". But if they get a little advantage that evens out the disadvantage they have by using a controller, it wouldn't bother me. And I don't think they should merge completely. Maybe just a dedicated server for playing against your console buddies. Then you could still choose to play only with your own kind. Cross-platforming PS3 and XBOX is a nice thought, although I doubt you can get Sony and Microsoft to play nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:27 pm 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

MW2 already has auto-aiming and I'm sure of other games as well. FPS are really meant for the keyboard/mouse combo because of the accuracy and speed. However, there is one genre where the controller truly rules, and those are sports games. More specifically, in racing. There's really no way you can imo get a smooth control with button presses. I have yet to see a cross-platform racer but it would be nice if one did.

*On another note, UT3 for PS3 has m+k support

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:32 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Of course, you can always use a controller on a PC and that levels the playing field.

In fact, I use my 360 controllers on my PC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:02 pm 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

I use gamepads for console-style games such as racing games, sports games, etc. Otherwise, the mouse is so much better. Also, people aren't going to willingly lay down their laser mice for controllers to keep things fair.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:48 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Jipstyle wrote:
Of course, you can always use a controller on a PC and that levels the playing field.

I doubt most PC folks would take this approach up. Especially when the k+m gives them the results they are looking for; spanking console kiddies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:17 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Consolitis wrote:
Jipstyle wrote:

I doubt most PC folks would take this approach up. Especially when the k+m gives them the results they are looking for; spanking console kiddies.

Well, when playing FPS or RPGs, I use the keyboard and mouse. When playing sports games or racing games, I use my controllers.

My point was that the PC allows both.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:10 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

Jipstyle wrote:
Consolitis wrote:
Jipstyle wrote:

Well, when playing FPS or RPGs, I use the keyboard and mouse. When playing sports games or racing games, I use my controllers.

My point was that the PC allows both.

I use the pad for platformers/racing games, but... uh, that doesn't really "level" the playing field too well because I know that I'd be dicking about with my horrible thumb-aiming skills (as would many other people), so they wouldn't really choose a pad anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:02 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Consoles are becoming more and more like PCs, they are practically HTPCs right now...and sooner or later they will have kb/m support too, and then it will be up to the game devs to allow the use of controllers and kb/m in their games.

Guaranteed that if MS/Sony allowed complete kb/m support on their consoles Blizzard would port WoW, and then the floodgates would open to crossplatform games.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:05 am 
Million Club - 20 Plus
Million Club - 20 Plus

Then I would not need to buy an Xbox just to play against my friends.

Ted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:45 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Console games are a lot harder for the average use to modify and cheat on. PC is a little different as there are many mods.
The last thing a console person want's is to play with a person who has mods or quick keys set up on their keyboard.

Console gaming is simple and you don't have to worry as much about mods or cheaters as much like you would on a PC... at least that has always been my experience. It would be a complete mess to allow a modded PC game to be played against the non modded console game.

I like them to be separate. Console gaming is so much more simple than PC gaming. I like it simple... load a game and go and play on a pretty equal field as every opponent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:23 pm 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

indeed... and you can enjoy your level playing field while I enjoy my Logitech G5 mouse. To each his own! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:46 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Touche Spartacus!..with my logitech G5 mouse and G15 keyboard...can we say PAWNED!..lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:26 pm 

I think most assuredly PC gaming will never die, especially when the consoles are just like stockcar PC's. PS3 may have a lot of crap games released, either way it will still have the good ones, that will match up to what PC games can do for the most part of the first year or so it is out. In that graphics comparison features started out as a way to examine which console had better graphics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:34 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

They could just make a keyboard and mouse for the XBox and be done with it. Then most of the world would never need to buy a PC. Or Windows operating system. Then Microsoft could see more clearly how they fucked themselves by going into the console market.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:21 am 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

I own both and play on both pretty much equally as much. My 360 get's a lot of fighting game and RPG love. My PC is mainly for FPS.

While I'm thinking about it I'm surprised they haven't swapped out the right analog stick for 360 controllers with a trackball. Aside from M+KB it seems like the next evolution to console controllers to me I can't believe it hasn't happened yet. I think maybe I should make a stop at the patent office on the way home...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:38 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

XoRn wrote:
While I'm thinking about it I'm surprised they haven't swapped out the right analog stick for 360 controllers with a trackball. Aside from M+KB it seems like the next evolution to console controllers to me I can't believe it hasn't happened yet. I think maybe I should make a stop at the patent office on the way home...

That would definitely be interesting, while I agree that would probably be a very intuitive design, I bet they are just scared to give the console gamers something they are not used to though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:31 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

That would destroy the purpose of an analog stick.

If I'm playing a racing game, the right analog stick is my steering wheel. I can hold it at 100% (full lock), 25% for a slight turn, etc. .. how would you do that with a trackball?

The trackball idea is only useful for scrolling a mouse around a screen .. which can be done just as easily with the stick.

Another reason: a trackball requires constant movement to move a cursor where as a stick just requires you to push-and-hold to accomplish the same task. I've got enough problems with RSI .. I don't need my console games to make them worse!