Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:17 am 
Willamette
Willamette

The 360 controller is by far the best controller I have ever used and owned. I have the old wired one from my first Core console and it's attached to my PC.
But then again, I will never use a controller for a RTS game... my C&C games need a mouse! Ha ha ha!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:21 am 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

Jipstyle wrote:
That would destroy the purpose of an analog stick.

If I'm playing a racing game, the right analog stick is my steering wheel. I can hold it at 100% (full lock), 25% for a slight turn, etc. .. how would you do that with a trackball?

The trackball idea is only useful for scrolling a mouse around a screen .. which can be done just as easily with the stick.

Another reason: a trackball requires constant movement to move a cursor where as a stick just requires you to push-and-hold to accomplish the same task. I've got enough problems with RSI .. I don't need my console games to make them worse!

That makes sense.

I'm pretty sure a middle ground could be found though, like a controller with both or one that can swap out a stick or a button that causes it to lock in place and behave like an analog stick vs a track ball.

I was mainly considering FPS's which are by far the most hindered game on the console when compared to there PC counter parts do to that right analog stick though. I find it atrocious just how limiting they are in terms of accuracy in movement and control and speed in turning motions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:35 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Yep, I get that.

I suppose that an analog stick that screws into the top of a track-ball would work .. sort of. A regular track-ball is free-floating whereas this one would have to snap back the way that the stick does .. but it would work the same way.

Another option is to simply allow KB and mouse as an interface on the console. They all have USB ports, so the infrastructure exists. It is just software ... and that is easy enough to do.

Why don't they do it? I'm not sure. Too small a return on the investment in writing the software? No demand? Who knows.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:53 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

To me it seems like more trouble than it is worth to adapt a KB/M to the console. Where do you put a KB/M while console gaming? Most rooms just have a couch or something... no desk. And a full keyboard is a giant waste of space as you could only use 15 keys on it (technically 13 as 2 would be on the mouse) in order to keep in par with the 15 game playable keys on the controller (I am basing that off the 360 controller). So it would be wise to create a special KB/M set up just for each console... and would it be worth the money for each console company to invest in developing a new interface device? How many would buy it and how many would hate it? I think they would waste a lot of money developing something for such few people and would not see a positive return in revenue.

Also, wouldn't game developers have to change things to their games to accept different controls? Same with the console? Why do they want to waste their time when they are doing just fine as it is?

And to top it off, this topic comes up a bit in the console forums... people just don't want it. Some think it could lead to unfair play.