Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: TF2 performance issue
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 7:29 am 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

I just upgraded to a 1080p monitor from a 1280x1024 monitor, so performance should be noticeably worse than before. But the Source engine is not at all demanding, and I have a Q9300 @3.16Ghz, 4GB of RAM, and overclocked 4870 1GB. That shouldn't have any problem running a Source game at 1920x1080, which shows with CS:S and HL2- both of those average around 150FPS maxed out. I know TF2 is a bit more demanding than those titles, but I should be able to max it out without averaging 30FPS right? It gets really choppy when there's a lot of people on a server.
Any help?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 7:55 am 
Northwood
Northwood

Are you playing on default maps? Have you enabled multi-threaded rendering? Have you turned down Anti-aliasing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 3:30 pm 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

Couple things. If your using Fraps to check your fps then turn it off before you play . Fraps has a tenancy to bring down your FPS in some games. To check it in game open the console and type in net_graph 1.

Next test with mult-core rendering on, and then off. It doesn't always improve FPS on some rigs (like my own E8400)

Also disable motion blur and HDR (no bloom either). Each of them aren't needed to enjoy the game and you'll actually play better without them.

If all else fails, rightclick on the game in your steam list -> Properties -> Set Launch Options. Then add "-dxlevel 81" (no quotes" to the line. Also -novid will skip the beginning valve logo so you'll load into the main meno a tad faster.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 7:22 pm 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

guoruiwu1994 wrote:
Are you playing on default maps? Have you enabled multi-threaded rendering? Have you turned down Anti-aliasing?

Yes, yes, no. I guess there's not really any notable difference between x4 and x8 in the heat of the action, so that's probably an easy way to improve performance.
XoRn wrote:
Couple things. If your using Fraps to check your fps then turn it off before you play . Fraps has a tenancy to bring down your FPS in some games. To check it in game open the console and type in net_graph 1.

Naw, still choppy with FRAPS off.
Quote:
Next test with mult-core rendering on, and then off. It doesn't always improve FPS on some rigs (like my own E8400)

It's always been on, I'll try it off. But I do have a quad-core, so I would imagine... whatever, I'll give it a shot.
EDIT: Turning off multi-core rendering helped considerably. Now it averages around 45FPS and only gets choppy in the very busiest moments. Turning off motion blur and bloom should do the trick and give me very playable framerates. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 9:38 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

I've always had issues with that stuff in TF2, still do sometimes no matter what tho. I've even had it just lock up and the game totally freeze on me out of nowhere from it. Steam also had a memory leak that was from TF2 awhile ago, hope it's gone. I haven't been on in awhile.