Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: A question on DRM
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:20 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Hey, I'm just getting back into PC gaming, and I wanted to know the state of DRM in games today. Primarily, this is going to be a retail vs steam topic I guess, because I want to know how bad retail DRM is and then decide if its bad enough that I move to Steam full time.

The things I'm looking for: does the DRM used today
limit the number of installs
force you to be online (like Ubisoft's recent stuff)
do computer scans---- (I bought Crysis, and then it found a .iso image mounter, and decided I was up to no good and wouldn't let me play my game. I had to pirate crysis, which I already owned, in order to play it. Pissed me off like you wouldn't comprehend).
Anything else seedy.

I know that steam has unlimited installs, you can play anything with no internet connection at all (except the one time download of course) and it doesn't scan your computer (except once a month, and it only looks for hardware; info they give to developers, so I'm all for that. They don't take away your games after the scan at least).

The only issue with Steam is that it allows publishers to add additional DRM, like Ubisoft is doing, but it tells you that before hand so you don't get tricked.

One final question, actually. If you do the thing where you register a retail game with steam, does it just turn completely into a steam game, no strings attached? I heard horror stories from people who bought the orange box and did that because it suddenly doubled their DRM instead of just making it a steam game.

Thanks! I really like boxes, manuals, and most importantly, owning a product instead of just the rights to play it- that's why I think retail is better, but not if DRM hasn't improved since I bought Crysis.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:53 am 
Million Club 5+ [PC]*
Million Club 5+ [PC]*

there in no catch all rule for DRM, it all depends on what game your buying.

you seem to be pretty current on DRM with the examples you mentioned.

to me there is no reason at all to buy a retail game when the same game is on steam.

steam games cant get scratched, broken, or lost.

I bought the orange box retail and it is now a steam game, I don't even know where the disks are anymore. haven't touched them in 2 years

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:58 pm 
Team Member Top 1000
Team Member Top 1000

yea, every game's DRM is different, I was pissed when I bought ghostbusters, which decides if you don't install in default dir you're a pirate, and the game never finishes installing. Ended up buying the game again on Steam because you really can't put a price on reclaiming part of your childhood...

as for adding non-steam games to steam, for games not made by Valve, I'm pretty sure all that does is let you use the steam overlay to chat w/ friends etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:21 am 
Million Club 5+ [PC]*
Million Club 5+ [PC]*

certain games are "steam powered". meaning that what your buying in the store is basically a code to plug into steam and a slightly faster install method. all Valve games are this way but there are some other games that are steam powered like Modern Warfare 2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:19 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Your best bet is to look at the DRM of whatever game you are interested in. Someone will find something wrong with any DRM out there, so you should be able to avoid any pitfalls.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:22 pm 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

You should take a look at this for all the Retails keys that you can register with Steam.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:47 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Thanks for the replies! My only issue right now is that I can't get offline mode to work. Whenever I start my computer without an internet connection (my laptop isn't always by wifi) it just gives me an error message saying it can't connect. What am I doing wrong?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:40 pm 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

trl288 wrote:
Thanks for the replies! My only issue right now is that I can't get offline mode to work. Whenever I start my computer without an internet connection (my laptop isn't always by wifi) it just gives me an error message saying it can't connect. What am I doing wrong?

That's actually one of the main griefs with Steam. You must connect to Steam first, the go offline. It does this to verify you games or something. So plan ahead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:34 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

That utterly defeats the purpose of an offline mode. but whatever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:55 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Airheadq wrote:
That's actually one of the main griefs with Steam. You must connect to Steam first, the go offline. It does this to verify you games or something. So plan ahead.

thats the only reason why I never want to install games on Steam. Iĺl leave just the Steam games (CSS, HL2, Insurgency) on steam. I even left out L4D2 off steam ! so i can play the single player offline :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:37 pm 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

Well it's not that bad really. If you have Steam up at anytime, if you lose connection (disconnect), as long as you don't close Steam, you can still launch your games.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:58 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

logicmaster2003 wrote:
Airheadq wrote:

thats the only reason why I never want to install games on Steam. Iĺl leave just the Steam games (CSS, HL2, Insurgency) on steam. I even left out L4D2 off steam ! so i can play the single player offline :)

What are you talking about? Just launch Steam normally, it says "Can't connect, want to go into offline mode?" and then... it does. And if you want to go the "hard" way, you can just go to your steamapps folder and doubleclick the game.exe you want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:00 pm 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

nmanguy wrote:
logicmaster2003 wrote:
Airheadq wrote:

What are you talking about? Just launch Steam normally, it says "Can't connect, want to go into offline mode?" and then... it does. And if you want to go the "hard" way, you can just go to your steamapps folder and doubleclick the game.exe you want.

Oh, :shock:, well now I'm, embarrassed, guess they fixed it. Steam is rarely offline for me so I never noticed it. :oops: