Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: MW2 Free weekend on Steam
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:45 pm 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

Well if any of you have been itching to try out Modern Warfare 2's MP but didn't want to fork over the $60 just for a taste, it is going to be free to play this weekend over Steam. You can start pre-loading now and start playing Thursday afternoon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:15 am 
Willamette
Willamette

Dammit! Of course they pick a weekend when I'm NOT going to be able to participate. That really sucks! Thanks for the heads-up anyway, I'll let a couple friends know about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:31 pm 

I will be playing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:22 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

That was fun .. almost made me want to buy the game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:37 pm 

Jipstyle wrote:
That was fun .. almost made me want to buy the game.

yeah... not $60 fun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:01 pm 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

I never got into the whole MW2 thing. After playing it, it was kinda fun, quick matches to keep you interested but definitely not worth the price. Picked it up pretty easily but after getting to level 19, got throw in to a hacked server and through me up to lvl 70. Ugh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:07 pm 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

Airheadq wrote:
I never got into the whole MW2 thing. After playing it, it was kinda fun, quick matches to keep you interested but definitely not worth the price. Picked it up pretty easily but after getting to level 19, got throw in to a hacked server and through me up to lvl 70. Ugh.

Happened to me last week. So annoying.

Really the game itself is a blast, its the community that's fucked it up so much. I'm really disappointed in how it's turned out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:31 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

IF I do buy it, it'll be for my 360. MW was hella fun and so was the MP .. never had a problem with cheats / hacks / assholes.

Ok .. I lied. Plenty of assholes. And children. And I challenge you to show me a difference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:59 am 

XoRn wrote:
its the community that's fucked it up so much. I'm really disappointed in how it's turned out.

Sorry, but that's complete and utter bullshit. The community did not fuck up MW2. Infinity Ward fucked up MW2. Were you in a coma before this game came out? I hope you didn't have a straight face while you were typing that statement. I usually agree with your posts Xorn so don't take this as trolling or flaming you. I just totally disagree with that statement.

How can you even begin to complain about a game that was in the news for months and months with the community complaining about the use of VAC for the game and the lack of dedicated servers. It is known throughout the gaming community that VAC is utter crap for protection. I think PB is way more secure and is much more effective in dealing with and catching hackers and people trying to circumvent the systems.

You are going to find those kind of people hackers/assholes/children in any online environment you play in. Why on earth do you think the COD PC community was so pissed off at Infinity Ward? Because we knew its was going to be a hackfest. Without dedicated servers there is no way for individuals to control what goes on. Without dedicated servers there is no way for lots of custom built maps and the game will die and not last as long as the other COD games because people will get sick of the same maps over and over. I still have members in my COD clan that play COD2 regularly.

Even after all that people paid $60 dollars and then whine, whine, and whine about all the hacking going on. I just sit back and laugh. I didn't buy the game, I didn't play their stupid free weekend, and I don't plan to line Infinity Ward's pockets for this game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:06 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Phosphorous wrote:
How can you even begin to complain about a game that was in the news for months and months with the community complaining about the use of VAC for the game and the lack of dedicated servers. It is known throughout the gaming community that VAC is utter crap for protection. I think PB is way more secure and is much more effective in dealing with and catching hackers and people trying to circumvent the systems.

So, your logic is that it is IW's fault for producing inferior protection rather than the hackers for fault for exploiting it?

I disagree. The hackers ruined the experience for me. IW allowed that to happen. The hackers are responsible .. they are the ones actually enabled the cheats. The cheaters are responsible .. they are the ones who use the cheats. IW is irresponsible for using a lesser form of protection but they are not at fault here.

Quote:
You are going to find those kind of people hackers/assholes/children in any online environment you play in. Why on earth do you think the COD PC community was so pissed off at Infinity Ward? Because we knew its was going to be a hackfest. Without dedicated servers there is no way for individuals to control what goes on. Without dedicated servers there is no way for lots of custom built maps and the game will die and not last as long as the other COD games because people will get sick of the same maps over and over. I still have members in my COD clan that play COD2 regularly.

I agree that IW fucked up. In fact, even from a technological point of view,their hosted games sucked. I only played for the weekend but I had enough games interrupted to search for a new host that I found it bothersome.

I don't enjoy custom maps .. I do really enjoy using familiar maps. I really dislike new maps because I get pwned constantly until I figure out the firing angles, kill zones and routes to get from A to B without getting popped. That's just me, obviously, but I've never been a fan of custom maps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:41 am 

Jipstyle wrote:
So, your logic is that it is IW's fault for producing inferior protection rather than the hackers for fault for exploiting it?

No, I think the hackers are totally at fault for trying to circumvent the game. I don't agree with anyone trying to cirumvent any form of game protection. It's going to happen, but using VAC makes it a helluva lot easier for hackers to do it. That's why I'm all for dedicated servers, it's much easier to deal with having hackers on your own controlled server. If you suspect someone of cheating you can monitor them and ban/kick them for good. I just think IW put a bad taste in a lot of the COD communitie's mouths.

Do you have COD4 or 5 Jip?

Last edited by Phosphorous on Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:56 am 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

I understand what your saying Phosphorus but it isn't the hackers that bother me. MW1 had hackers to. I could deal with them.

It's the people who have console enabled servers and just fuck with people by increasing the runspeed by 50%, have automatic grenade launchers and noclip enabled, instant rank capping with one kill, the whiny assholes that are IN EVERY GODDAMN SERVER! No matter where you go people just bitch and moan about the game, but they keep playing. That's the community I'm taking about. Check out the Steam forums for the game and you'll see exactly what I mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laKoPTEHOic
This guy for instance drives that people need to EXPLOIT THE SHIT out of a One Man Army strategy that works, basically only on that spot on that map in order to force IW to fix it. He also claims IW hasn't done ANYTHING as far as patching goes, when they have already released one major bug patch and one minor one along with a map pack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:07 pm 

XoRn wrote:
I understand what your saying Phosphorus but it isn't the hackers that bother me. MW1 had hackers to. I could deal with them.

It's the people who have console enabled servers and just fuck with people by increasing the runspeed by 50%, have automatic grenade launchers and noclip enabled, instant rank capping with one kill, the whiny assholes that are IN EVERY GODDAMN SERVER! No matter where you go people just bitch and moan about the game, but they keep playing. That's the community I'm taking about. Check out the Steam forums for the game and you'll see exactly what I mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laKoPTEHOic
This guy for instance drives that people need to EXPLOIT THE SHIT out of a One Man Army strategy that works, basically only on that spot on that map in order to force IW to fix it. He also claims IW hasn't done ANYTHING as far as patching goes, when they have already released one major bug patch and one minor one along with a map pack.

See and that's the wrong mentality for them to have. They think "Oh I'll just buy the game, hack it and exploit the shit out of it and IW will see this and patch the game and make it the way it should have been made" What they don't know is that IW could give a shit less about them and what they think. They don't care or they would have done a better job and listened to the COD community from the start. I'm a founder of a Call of Duty clan and we have well over 100 members. I think maybe 2 people out of my whole clan bought the game. I know tons of other clans where lots of people have not bought the game. Those script kiddies that think doing what they are doing is going to hurt IW, it's not, they already have their 60 ridiculous dollars per game. If they wanted to hurt IW they should have done it by not buying the game.

Post subject: my MW2 review (the free weekend on STEAM)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:20 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Heres my MW2 review (the STEAM´s free weekend):
I ran these @1080p, 4x or 8x AA (i 4got)

1) graphics of the characters / ammunitions are excellent. Its as crispy as FarCry2
2) graphics of the objects (tables, houses, trees) are not great. Its like sub-Battlefield2
3) the only good looking map is ESTATE (graphics nicely done on the trees, sunlight, indoor / outdoor of the house, garage, etc)
4) the rest of the map are ugly and graphics poorly done
5) the airplane and helicopter are the most annoying. I wish there are game type that exclude these beast. For me, airplane and helicopter should fight their own size !!!
6) major big props for the graphic engine because I was getting 100 FPS versus 48 on Crysis and 68 on FarCry2 for the same graphic settings.
7) sometimes this game reminds me of Soldier of Fortune3 Payback
8 ) I truly enjoyed the FFA and the 1-vs-1 game type, tho the rest are ok too.
9) I wish there are REALLY BIG MAPS for those who enjoy slower pace game of sniper (fast-pace gametype-only gets old and tiring)
10) I wish there will be custom maps like those days of Battlefield2 where we have gazillions of mods and maps !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:17 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

I wish they would balance out explosives, they are way too overpowered.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:38 pm 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

Phosphorous wrote:
What they don't know is that IW could give a shit less about them and what they think. They don't care or they would have done a better job and listened to the COD community from the start.

(EDITED Originally came off kind of "flammable". =S) I'm not attacking you or trying to bait your into a flame war on this but I think your wrong to believe something like that. Infinity Ward is a company and they need to succeed and continue to profit on their product. There's no way they just push out the biggest launch in media history, and then went and sat on their thumbs because "fuck it, we already got the money, let's make a sequel!" (not to say they aren't planning on one >_>)

I've played the COD series pretty much right from the get go. After the first one came out I've purchased UO, 2 and MW on launch days and pre ordered WAW and MW2. I have to admit none of them had a community as big as MW2 has but none of them were so rampant and demanding of patches (which took just as equally as long to be released) or abusive of the bugs. And there were bugs, believe me. Game breaking bugs at that, like being able to get out of a level and kill people through walls and stuff. The thing is, people just didn't do it after it became known and eventually it was patched and no longer a problem anyways. It's impossible to expect a game to be released bug free. The size of there internal and closed beta teams are nothing compared to the numbers that bought and play the game, to such a degree they likely weren't even aware of many of the bugs at the time of launch.

I simply blame the community for what's happening. Yes exploits exist and yes they should (and will) be patched at some point but I can't blame IW for not having 10,000 programmers banging out code to fix each and every bug someone complains about. It's just not feasible. They have already patched most of the bugs I had issues with (sprint speed with care package out, dual 88's range issue, and infinite ammo) and really I enjoy the actual game play now in a NORMAL server. My problem is people saying "hey, this is broken. I'm going to abuse the ever living FUCK out of it until you do something about it you lazy sons of bitches!" I'm sure that people like this are by far a minority to the ones that just want to enjoy the game as it is, but there's enough of them to ruin a legitimately good experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:22 am 

XoRn wrote:
Phosphorous wrote:
What they don't know is that IW could give a shit less about them and what they think. They don't care or they would have done a better job and listened to the COD community from the start.

(EDITED Originally came off kind of "flammable". =S) I'm not attacking you or trying to bait your into a flame war on this but I think your wrong to believe something like that. Infinity Ward is a company and they need to succeed and continue to profit on their product. There's no way they just push out the biggest launch in media history, and then went and sat on their thumbs because "fuck it, we already got the money, let's make a sequel!" (not to say they aren't planning on one >_>)

I've played the COD series pretty much right from the get go. After the first one came out I've purchased UO, 2 and MW on launch days and pre ordered WAW and MW2. I have to admit none of them had a community as big as MW2 has but none of them were so rampant and demanding of patches (which took just as equally as long to be released) or abusive of the bugs. And there were bugs, believe me. Game breaking bugs at that, like being able to get out of a level and kill people through walls and stuff. The thing is, people just didn't do it after it became known and eventually it was patched and no longer a problem anyways. It's impossible to expect a game to be released bug free. The size of there internal and closed beta teams are nothing compared to the numbers that bought and play the game, to such a degree they likely weren't even aware of many of the bugs at the time of launch.

I simply blame the community for what's happening. Yes exploits exist and yes they should (and will) be patched at some point but I can't blame IW for not having 10,000 programmers banging out code to fix each and every bug someone complains about. It's just not feasible. They have already patched most of the bugs I had issues with (sprint speed with care package out, dual 88's range issue, and infinite ammo) and really I enjoy the actual game play now in a NORMAL server. My problem is people saying "hey, this is broken. I'm going to abuse the ever living FUCK out of it until you do something about it you lazy sons of bitches!" I'm sure that people like this are by far a minority to the ones that just want to enjoy the game as it is, but there's enough of them to ruin a legitimately good experience.

One things for sure, I'm looking foward to COD7. Treyarch is back at the helm and hopefully they will put dedicated servers and lean back into the mix.

Post subject: Re: my MW2 review (the free weekend on STEAM)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:39 am 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

logicmaster2003 wrote:
Heres my MW2 review (the STEAM´s free weekend):
I ran these @1080p, 4x or 8x AA (i 4got)

1) graphics of the characters / ammunitions are excellent. Its as crispy as FarCry2
2) graphics of the objects (tables, houses, trees) are not great. Its like sub-Battlefield2
3) the only good looking map is ESTATE (graphics nicely done on the trees, sunlight, indoor / outdoor of the house, garage, etc)
4) the rest of the map are ugly and graphics poorly done
5) the airplane and helicopter are the most annoying. I wish there are game type that exclude these beast. For me, airplane and helicopter should fight their own size !!!
6) major big props for the graphic engine because I was getting 100 FPS versus 48 on Crysis and 68 on FarCry2 for the same graphic settings.
7) sometimes this game reminds me of Soldier of Fortune3 Payback
8 ) I truly enjoyed the FFA and the 1-vs-1 game type, tho the rest are ok too.
9) I wish there are REALLY BIG MAPS for those who enjoy slower pace game of sniper (fast-pace gametype-only gets old and tiring)
10) I wish there will be custom maps like those days of Battlefield2 where we have gazillions of mods and maps !

Yeah, I'll have to agree they have a nice graphics engine. I was surprised that everything ran smoothly on high. Big props here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:00 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Phosphorous wrote:
Jipstyle wrote:

No, I think the hackers are totally at fault for trying to circumvent the game. I don't agree with anyone trying to cirumvent any form of game protection. It's going to happen, but using VAC makes it a helluva lot easier for hackers to do it. That's why I'm all for dedicated servers, it's much easier to deal with having hackers on your own controlled server. If you suspect someone of cheating you can monitor them and ban/kick them for good. I just think IW put a bad taste in a lot of the COD communitie's mouths.

Do you have COD4 or 5 Jip?

I've played COD, COD2, and COD 4:MW ... the last on my 360.

I played COD: MW2 on my PC .. amazing graphics, lackluster multiplayer.

I usually enjoy the single-player at least as much as the MP but I'm told that the SP campaign for MW2 is insultingly short so I'm not paying $60 to find out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:04 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

since this topic is STEAM-related..

i wonder whats the next free trial game will Steam be offering ! I remember Left 4 Dead 1 (nov 2008) and Left 4 Dead 2 (nov 2009) and I played both !

Iḿ wishing for Bad Company 2 for the next Steam free trial. Cuz I wanted to see if the gametype / game-feel is similar to Battlefield2 (which is one of my fav). But Iḿ also picky with graphic quality (character, guns, and environment such as trees, house, rocks, sunset, and the cars have to be shiny and reflect sunlights !!!).

THe games that I find super attractive (superb graphics on the characters, objects, environment, atmosphere, cars, etc) are : FarCry2 , Resident Evil 5. FarCry2 .. the cars are so shiny you can even see the glare from the sun ( this feature does´nt exist in MW2 or even crysis)

my take on MW2 - great graphics on characters / guns only.