Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:15 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Hey guys,

who here have S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat ? I'm a big fan of scary FPS (or almost-FPS) games such as L4D1, L4D2, ResidentEvil5.

I just want your take on S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat.

And is the STEAM version only limited to directx9.0c ? Its cheaper on steam vs non-steam. And of course I really want to install and play this game to its potential (directx 10.x and up).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:42 pm 

I got the box version, so I don't know about Steam. About an hour in and no glitches so far, runs fine with Windows 7. I really enjoyed the first one, and this one is on par. The world looks better, and not all water is contaminated. Once you find an artifact you get enough cash to fix your equipment. Highly recommended.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:50 pm 
Million Club 5+ [PC]*
Million Club 5+ [PC]*

steam doesn't get different versions of games. if one is DX10 then the other will be too.

remember though, you need Vista/7 to take advantage of that

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:17 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

thanks for the nice replies guys :)

for some reason I felt like I want the box version so I can have a physical hold of it (at least the ISO image). Can we get the iso extract from the steam download though ?

also, if I get it on steam, I have to be online first (steam login), before I can even play the single player, right ?

its about $10 cheaper on steam though !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:36 am 
Million Club 5+ [PC]*
Million Club 5+ [PC]*

there really is no reason to get the retail version. steam will let you DL the game onto any PC. you do have to log in to use the game but you can get a limited number of plays in offline mode (I forget the exact number)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:38 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Gailim wrote:
there really is no reason to get the retail version. steam will let you DL the game onto any PC. you do have to log in to use the game but you can get a limited number of plays in offline mode (I forget the exact number)

I think I'll wait for price drop on the boxed version. Because I don't like the dependency to be online.. even games like Resident Evil 5.. you have to be online and logged-in to windows LIVE account in order to SAVE the game progress !!!!!! that is just pure non-sense. Thats why I didn't buy resident evil 5 eventhough I really really want it !

I guess ppl are gearing toward Cloud-computing which I find riduculous. Who would put their whole office works uploaded to cloud ? Harddrives are super cheap these days anyways !

Last edited by logicmaster2003 on Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:41 am 
Million Club 5+ [PC]*
Million Club 5+ [PC]*

logicmaster2003 wrote:
Gailim wrote:

I think I'll wait for price drop on the boxed version. Because I don't like the dependency to be online.. even games like Resident Evil 5.. you have to be online and logged-in to windows LIVE account in order to SAVE the game progress !!!!!! that is just pure non-sense. Thats why I didn't buy resident evil 5 eventhough I really really want it !

you don't have to be online, normally it just checks the server once before the game starts. the rest is completely offline. and you can start the game a few times without connecting.

steam provides so many other benefits that it far outweighs any drawback

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:48 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

logicmaster2003 wrote:

That's the thing, you don't have to be online to play it. The only time you ever have to be online for a single player game on Steam is once, when you install it. After that, you only have to log on every time you update the game, which isn't really a problem, considering you have to be online to download the update anyway...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:17 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

hey guys :)

Thanks for the clarifications :) yeap i got it :)

This game seems like very very very tedious (would sux if I run out of patience once in a while) !!! (but this will prolong my game time which is nice) ! If I have days like 6-hours-straight to kill, then this will make me happy. If I only have an hour to kill, then I'll play other games such as FC2 (ahem , my fav), CSS, etc.

I bumped up the graphics to the max (1080p, 4x AA, maximum everything) but the graphics such as the trees / weaponries / dogs are far fom the superior quality of FarCry2. I'm using window7-64 and GTX260. Maybe theres MODS that will enhance the object texture and such ?

I end the game for the night; I was at the Mercenary trying to steal PDA for a guy named OWL .. then i was spotted and got shot :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:34 pm 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

A little note on Steam games, they for the most part do not include the 64-bit binaries for their games. Some examples are Far Cry and Crysis.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:33 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Airheadq wrote:
A little note on Steam games, they for the most part do not include the 64-bit binaries for their games. Some examples are Far Cry and Crysis.

oh oh thank you very much for the ice-breaking note !

yea I think all my future game purchases, I'll want it totally independent on steam, microsoft windows LIVE, cloud computing, etc etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:17 pm 

Hey Logicmaster'

I see that I was a bit late with this post; however, it might help others with a smilar question of whether to purchase the digital version or the retail version.

The Collectors Edition of Call of Pripyat comes with the disc, manual, a sheet of STALKER related stickers, and a map of the Zone. http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa134/wolf17_2007/Stalker_CallofPripyat_CollectorsEdi.jpg is a picture of what you get if you buy the retail version.

I've bought a lot of games through steam, especially when they have a good sale running; however, I have to admit that I do rather like looking at my collection safely on a shelf :)

As far as gameplay.. I haven't played this game much as I've been rather busy with school; however, for the approximately hour and a half I have played it, It's so far so good, as far as getting back into the STALKER world. I do find the beginning wepons to be extremely annoying and underpowered, but I guess that is to encourage me to find artifacts to upgrade :P For example, when an emission was coming, i hurriedly jumped into and underground cave... only to be killed by those flying fireballs :P Overall though, I think it's worth getting if you are into the STALKER universe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:20 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

wolf17 wrote:
Hey Logicmaster'
As far as gameplay.. I haven't played this game much as I've been rather busy with school; however, for the approximately hour and a half I have played it, It's so far so good, as far as getting back into the STALKER world. I do find the beginning wepons to be extremely annoying and underpowered, but I guess that is to encourage me to find artifacts to upgrade :P For example, when an emission was coming, i hurriedly jumped into and underground cave... only to be killed by those flying fireballs :P Overall though, I think it's worth getting if you are into the STALKER universe.

hey thanks for the screenshot :) yea i already bought it few days ago :) I've never even played the first STALKER game. So far, this game is not like what I've been used to ( far cry 2, battlefield series, blackhawkdown, crysis, etc). This game requires ALOT OF PATIENCE which I don't have very much !

In addition, I'm not impressed with the graphics, even with directx10+ @1080p and max AA and AF and etc ! FarCry2 on directx9.0c looked ALOT better and crispier !

I hope there will be MODS to bump-up the graphics details (like the NATURAL MOD for Crysis) and I'm hoping there will be MODS for a SHORT MISSION and such.

I was also eyeing on FALLOUT3 and BORDERLAND. But i"m not sure if these are on the same boat as STALKER C.O.P. I basically am more into FPS games.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:39 am 
Klamath
Klamath

Hate to bring an old thread back from the dead but....

Does anyone know where you can download patches in ENGLISH for those of us that have the box version? Have crawled all over the web and cant find anything.

Thanks!

Antag

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:18 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

hi antag,

no sorry I dont know of any. And sadly I lost interest in this game just 1 week after I bought it; Its just sooooo slow and complicated -- totally not a good jump for peeps who are used to play medium-pace to face-pace shooting games like CounterstrikeSource / HL2 deathmatch / Battlefield series / Soldier for Fortune series / COD series.

I wish I bought Bad Company 2 instead for that matter. I just want to SHOOT - I don't want to have to solve puzzles !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:26 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Pripyat is a slow game ... it took me quite a while to get into it as well.

To be honest, I was quite disappointed as well .. but not nearly as disappointed as I was with Bad Company 2. Yes, BC2 has much better graphics and gameplay .. but the single-player lasted about 6 hours. Huge waste of money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:34 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Jipstyle wrote:

To be honest, I was quite disappointed as well .. but not nearly as disappointed as I was with Bad Company 2. Yes, BC2 has much better graphics and gameplay .. but the single-player lasted about 6 hours. Huge waste of money.

oh oh thanks for the heads-up jip :)

but i really wonder if there will be any MODS and single player maps just like battlefield2 ?? Cuz in battlefield2 I have mods like AIX, AIX2, Mercenaries10.0, assault, etc etc.. and each mods got handful of maps too !

If BC2 have those kind of support (mods / maps), then I'll buy it :)

please lemme know :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:57 am 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

Jipstyle wrote:

BC2 is all about the mp tbh,i didn't even bother to play the sp.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:45 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

no english patches eh?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 11:04 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I like CoP ...that been said ...its true that its like "Myst with guns" a lot of the times....

:wink: