Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Finally got around to BioShock (1st one)
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:56 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Ok, I've played for about an hour. I bought this game on sale awhile back when it was 7 dollars on Steam. I saw the metacritic score of 96 so I was excited.

Can anyone tell me if the game becomes fun at some point? So far I zap people with my lightning fist and then hit them with a wrench. I don't use my pistol very often. I just got to the medical level. So far, besides a few half-scary moments of people crashing through glass the game is pretty awful. Should I bother continuing or should I just uninstall it and play through Psychonauts instead? Is it just more of the same or does the game get really interesting?

edit : I'll expand on this in order to avoid any flaming.

1) So far the levels are dark, REALLY dark. I can't appreciate any of the cool textures, neat world, etc because everything is just.....dark.

2) Linear much? Maybe I'm just used to Fallout 3 and Oblivion but it seems like I'm basically going in a straight line so far.

3) Controls feel really sluggish. I remember HL 2 being a lot of fun and not having that problem.

4) I remember reading all the comparisons to HL 2 but HL 2 seemed to have a lot of story to it, especially the 1984 feeling to the city and the facial expressions of the people there. This game had a 2 second opening scene, a plane crash and then I'm in an underwater city running around hitting people with a wrench.

So yeah, continue on or give one of those other Christmas sale Steam games a shot instead?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:47 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

1) Change your gamma
2) It's a pretty linear path, it can't hold a candle to Fallout or STALKER. But you choose whether you want to be the loud heavy weapons guy, long-range assassin, or guy who just wrenches everyone. They're pretty similar, but eh, you can get a plasmid where you launch bees from your hands.
3) Change your mouse sensitivity
4) It's compared because each game has a silent protagonist, the antagonist rules over a city, you have a gravity gun (or hand), and you use a tool for a main weapon. The story in Bioshock is good though, just press "T" after you get a journal so you can listen to it.

Also, the game's hella easy. Crank up the difficulty to high, and don't just use the wrench. Sure, it's deadly efficient, but I learned that it takes away the fun of using the other weapons. I played through the game and only touched a gun fighting Big Daddies. And even then, I had this power that lets you control ANOTHER big daddy, so they would just fight each other and I'd shoot the winner. I played again and vowed to never use the wrench and it got VERY fun and even harder.

It does get fun/interesting, but don't expect a Fallout-like freedom.

Also, Psychonauts is great fun, but no reason to uninstall Bioshock.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:49 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Have you gone to the machines to get ammo and upgrades? The dispensers and safes are like a mini-game within Bioshock. You have to complete a puzzle before the time is up in order to open safes and dispensers.

The story is set in the fifties if I remember right and so is the music, this sets the mood of the game. You have to make moral decisions while dealing with the Little Sisters, are you going to save them or kill them for the essence they have.

By all means listen to the various tapes you come across as you progress through the game to get the story behind the city. Would I play it again...I don't know because I hate dealing with the DRM in this game. Before I installed it I backed up my registry so they couldn't muck it up with their DRM crap. When I was done with the game I uninstalled the game and deactivated the game, then I imported the old registry I saved and all is well.

Nasty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:27 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Thanks for the responses. Yeah, the DRM issue is pretty crappy but I installed it forever ago before I even knew about it so I'm SOL with that.

As for the gamma, I'll turn it up but when I talk about it being dark, it's more along the lines of the black being VERY black and the lights being very light. There isn't a lot of gradient for lighting, it's just DARK/BRIGHT in every room. It almost gives me a headache.

The journals seem interesting and I've read other forums about people really liking that aspect of the game. I just didn't want to play an entire game in order to find journals. I think Fallout 3 + mods spoiled me so to speak.

I'll give it a shot though, you guys made a good argument. If I still think it sucks at the very end I'm coming back in here angry though! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:57 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

US_Ranger wrote:
I'll give it a shot though, you guys made a good argument. If I still think it sucks at the very end I'm coming back in here angry though! :D

Just buy the bees.

Buy the bees.