Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: copying STEAM directory from winXP-32 to win7-64
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:09 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Hey guys.. I have a question..

I've finally installed win7-64bit on another drive, same computer. I've been using winXP-32 for a while.

Now I have dual-boot and it works great (winXP-32 and win7-64)

Now I want to also be able to play all my STEAM games on my win7-64

I copied STEAM directory from my winXP to win7. I booted to win7 and run STEAM, was able to log-in but none of the game works (it gives me error message).

Do I need to install fresh STEAM on win7 ? then copy over just the steamaps ?

Thanks 4 the help :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:30 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

i think steam has a backup game files option, which backs up the entire directory for all of your installed games. you can right-click on the game in steam, and click on the Backup Game Files ( or something like that). it works well, because i had modified all of my L4D2 sounds, and did not want to reinstall them again, so i was able to back them up, and then just move it into the Common folder, where all the steam games sit.

if anything, redownload Steam, redownload all of the games through steam, and just carry over your saved games.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:52 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

I just copied all the GCFs, and all of the "steamapps" folder. Installed 7 x64, installed steam, logged in, logged out, copied over all the old files, started steam again, and logged in. At this point, just click "begin download" on each game you have, and it will take around 3 seconds per game to realize that it has all the files.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:30 pm 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

Here is the offical wiki.

When I installed the RC, I wanted to test it against my Vista install. So what i did was rename the Steam folder. Installed Steam on the RC but pointed it to my Vista partition. Deleted the folder it made and renamed the Steam folder back. The only thing is that it doesn't save your login OS to OS.

Or do what you did and move/copy the folder. However, I would recommend you do it the official way rather than just copy the whole folder. So it should be Install Steam in 7, copy the steamapps folder from XP into 7. Login to your profile and then verify all your games.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:49 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

oh thanks for the tips :)

I have successfully COPIED (not MOVED) steam from winXP-32 to win7-64 ! I tested all my steam games on win7-64 happily :)

But I wonder if i login to my winXP and play steam, will having 2 identical steam on 2 OS ban me ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:04 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

it would probably sign the other account out, but i think it does warn you if you have another instance open. if dual booting, doesn't it shut down the other OS? i didn't think it worked like a windows profile, where it stays open.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:14 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

bingojubes wrote:
it would probably sign the other account out, but i think it does warn you if you have another instance open. if dual booting, doesn't it shut down the other OS? i didn't think it worked like a windows profile, where it stays open.

oh thanks :) I have to try it then; I'll login to my winXP later and run steam and see if it will let me login and play.

I hardly use windows nowadays; I only use it strictly for gaming (6 hours a day).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:17 pm 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

Steam only allow one profile active at once. You will still be able to login normally from XP, just don't save your password. Steam has issues with remembering your password (it will) but you might get that your ID was used to login elsewhere and you have to re-login.