Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Just cause 2 cause drops XP support
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:56 pm 
Million Club 5+ [PC]*
Million Club 5+ [PC]*

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/02 ... p-support/

there is a new game coming out called Just cause 2. the game is DX10 only and does not support XP in any form. I think they jumped the gun just a tad there but it did get me thinking. how much longer will companies continue to make games backward compatible with DX9, considering the big differences between DX9 and DX10-11.

I figure it will be profitable to do so until the current consoles die out but how much longer after that?

also, check out those recommended specs! that is pretty hefty as far as basic requirements go.

EDIT: fixed name

Last edited by Gailim on Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:21 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Actually, the game is Just Cause 2, lol. I can see slightly where they feel justified by doing it, however it is kinda retarded still.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:30 pm 
Million Club 5+ [PC]*
Million Club 5+ [PC]*

ah, wow your right :oops:

I think they just misread the PC environment when they started development. they thought that Vista and W7 would have much more market share by now than they did.

it takes a lot of effort to support DX9 in addition to DX10. they obviously didn't want to bother

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:40 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

Except for Valve, how many companies still support D3D8 with their (3d and non-casual) games? D3D9 is going to be the next to go.

Besides, by only supporting D3D10, they don't have to work with 3 simulateous operating systems. They also can set the GPU bar at a certain level and not worry about older cards, as only Geforce 8+ and Radeon 2+ cards will work. If they supported D3D9, then people with Geforce 5800's and Radeon 9800's are going to try and play it, and they're going to hate the game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:24 pm 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

I like this. It's working on setting a precedent that really should have been set years ago. While XP still dominates OS market share, that is going to, and already is, changing quickly. In fact, nowadays you'd be hard pressed to find a new dedicated DX9 card, or a new system with either XP or a dedicated DX9 card. If the game is going to be demanding, then there's no sense in support DX9 anyways if it just kills a 7900GTX.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:45 pm 
Million Club 5+ [PC]*
Million Club 5+ [PC]*

yes but it makes no sense from a business sense. XP is still the most popular OS in the world by a wide margin. to limit your market like this is pretty strange

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:43 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Gailim wrote:
yes but it makes no sense from a business sense. XP is still the most popular OS in the world by a wide margin. to limit your market like this is pretty strange

Agreed and XP is being supported out to 2014. It was a real dumb business move on their part.

Nasty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:55 pm 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

Gailim wrote:

As much as I like, use, and support XP, I must gently disagree.

Who buys the latest computer games? Those with the latest, cutting-edge computers and OSes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:48 pm 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

OvenMaster wrote:
Gailim wrote:

As much as I like, use, and support XP, I must gently disagree.

Who buys the latest computer games? Those with the latest, cutting-edge computers and OSes.

Latest and cutting edge hardware doesn't always go hand in hand with software though. I'm running a decent rig (a year old mid range I admit) but I have XP and plan to stick with it for another year or 2 at least.

I feel the developers have jumped the gun BIG time in this case. I think DX9 still has a few good years of support and we won't see a majority of titles being released without it until holiday 2011 when the next years string of triple A titles hits the market. By then many more people will have switched from XP to Windows 7 (vista wah?). At least I hope we will =S.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:57 am 
Northwood
Northwood

Well, at least now us XP users have a reason to move.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:43 am 
Chief Surgeon
Chief Surgeon

I just split out off-topic posts.

If you want to discuss general OS development/support, use the Windows Parlo(u)r.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:51 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

This game is based on a DX10 engine. DX10 is not (officially) supported for XP.

How long do you guys expect developers to support old standards? I don't want to see game development held back by the need to support DX9.

We have new tech .. we need to use it. Supporting both DX9 and DX10 requires much more dev time and thus expense.

We have DX11 upcoming .. shall we delay developing games for it because XP can't support it? Hell no.

I fully support this decision. If your PC can't run the game .. that's hard but tough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:27 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

I'm glad I'd finally switched-over to win7-64 bit. Playing all my games on directx10.x is way so much nicer and smoother that on directx9.0c. I've been playing on directx9.0c (winXP) for way too long !

And like jipstyle mentioned, directx10.x is not "officially" supported on winXP though I was able to install it on my winXP. It resulted in MUCH FASTER frame-per-second that on directx9.0c, but I can't seem to notice the graphical improvement that much. In my experience, all my games works EXCEPT for battlefield2.. so i reverted back to directx9.0c.

I will have to dismount my 1 of my 500GB harddrive with winXP with all the games and put them away safely for now. Then take winXP out of my triple boot (win7, linux, winXP).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:50 am 
BANNED
BANNED

Was the first Just Cause any good?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:15 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Fossil wrote:
Was the first Just Cause any good?

FUCK.

NO.

And, 2 looks to be just as retarded.

None the less, the "issue" is that future gaming won't be possible on XP soon. Granted, people have worked a way to get DX10 enabled on XP. But, how long will that last?

Personally, anything after XP can go squat on a rusty pole. I love XP. And, I won't really move.

Also, the latest and greatest PC games are (usually) on the 360/PS3. They perform acceptably well and I don't have to think about playing a game (intalling, updating, tweaking settings, etc.). So, if XP gets dropped from future titles, I say; ",... meh".

The developers/publisher will do what they want to do. They don't give a shit about old dinosaurs. And, the feeling is just as mutual from this end.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:42 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Consolitis wrote:
.. Also, the latest and greatest PC games are (usually) on the 360/PS3.

I disagree. ALL the latest and greatest flock of current and future PC games are just being born .. for directx10+ machines !

And.. I also disagree for your comment on JUST CAUSE 1 and 2. It might just be your opinion but the guy who's asking if it suck.. I think he should just watch the promo video and decide for himself (dood, wheres ur brain ? JK)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:47 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Quote:
I think he should just watch the promo video and decide for himself

He can check out the demo. And thats were my harsh opinion of it came from.