Starcraft 2 76%  76%  [ 26 ]
C&C4 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 34
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:49 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

$60 for SC2? Pass, for now.

I am sure it will be at a much lower price later on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:34 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

My fiancee is getting me SC2 CE from her work for my bday this year, I can't wait to play it (sorry TF2, you may have to take a back seat for a while)!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:57 am 
Northwood
Northwood

Purchased StarCraft 2 after using a friend's 14-day (or 7 hour) trial. Despite the required internet connection and stuff like that to start the game as well as the lack of any real LAN play (as well as the stupid Real ID) it is way worth it...

The art style is really bad for the kind of game series Starcraft was supposed to be but if they changed the name of the game, as well as the story, it would still have been way solid.

Post subject: Re: Whats your RTS?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:55 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

Finally got SupCom 2, and damn is it fun. People bitch about the tiers being gone and whatever, but it has the nice effect of letting your units be useful throughout the game as you just research ways to make them better.

Post subject: SC2
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:34 pm 

StarCraft 2

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:56 am 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

XoRn wrote:
Probably SupCom2. I really wasn't that much of a fan of the first one but it was competent. I really never got into Starcraft and wish to god they had spent all the development time on Diablo 3 instead. C&C4 is just meh. They've never managed to top RA2 IMHO.

Now that I've had my hands on all 3 I gotta admit StarCraft2 takes the cake. SupCom2 was just meh compared to the first one. I remember seeing an article somewhere talking about how streamlining is not the equivalent of "dumbing down". In most cases though, it is. SupCom2 is a perfect example. SupCom1 had a great balance of economy driven expansion, deep build models (even though the tech trees themselves we're simplified) and awesome grand scale combat. Instead of building on this deep and strategically rich model, they stripped it down to its most basic core and tried to make up with it with the new tech tree feature. The problem is it's shallow and your choices are narrowed down to 1 or 2 options each time you gain research points. I much preferred the global arms race feel the first one had. It was a much more interesting and intense experience.

For StarCraft 2. I honestly never got into the first one but I was late to the game too so it was understandably difficult to get into. This time around however I've been able to learn all the nuances and strategies it has to offer in multiplayer. It's fast paced, unforgiving and absolutely exhilarating to come out on top over an evenly match opponent. The single player campaign is incredibly varied and Bliz took the time to really polish it so not only are the actual RTS elements fun, but even when in between missions you'll be entertained with the things you can do.

Honestly I didn't think I'd like SC2 as much as I did. It's worth the $60 for sure, unlike another $60 game I payed for that wasn't.
*cough*
Spoiler: show
MW2
*cough*

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:55 pm 

Why isn't SoSE on here? It's wonderful, though I admit I haven't played it in a while.
CoH too.
BTW, I liked Total Annihilation better than SupCom2. Had better replayability too. Trouble was, the AI just wasn't smart enough, needed a harder setting for scrimmage mode. That's what I really want to see (won't happen).
What's up with calling Starcraft and C and C strategy? They are tactics, very little strategy. Mostly tactics.
I did not like Starcraft, I want to be able to look at the map while paused, and give orders while paused (in single-player).
I cannot play multiplayer on my crappy satellite Internet connection (cable not available here).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:02 pm 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

Halloweenweed wrote:
Why isn't SoSE on here? It's wonderful, though I admit I haven't played it in a while.
CoH too.
BTW, I liked Total Annihilation better than SupCom2. Had better replayability too. Trouble was, the AI just wasn't smart enough, needed a harder setting for scrimmage mode. That's what I really want to see (won't happen).
What's up with calling Starcraft and C and C strategy? They are tactics, very little strategy. Mostly tactics.
I did not like Starcraft, I want to be able to look at the map while paused, and give orders while paused (in single-player).
I cannot play multiplayer on my crappy satellite Internet connection (cable not available here).

This thread was made before these games hit the market. We we're seeing who would be picking up and why. Read OP =)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:08 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Halloweenweed wrote:
They are tactics, very little strategy. Mostly tactics.

i would imagine tactics and strategy to be the same definition.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:17 am 

AZNgamerX800 wrote:
i would imagine tactics and strategy to be the same definition.

Tactics is reaction to situation, in war situation tactics are movements (and other actions) to counter enemy movements, logistics movements (supply lines), etc.
Strategy is fore planning, the decision to attack using the rear route, pincer movement, ambush, cut supply lines at a specific point, etc.
The decision to land at Omaha beach (WWII D-day) was strategy. Note I said "the decision," because once there, the landing itself is tactics. The precise movements of troops on the beach once they are there are tactics.

Another example, Rommel's tank brigade is spotted, and direction of movement is known. The decision to attack or ambush him at a certain point, from given angles or approach routes, is strategy. Once the attack begins, when the attacking units are in their proper positions, ready to either advance to battle as planned or wait in ambush, it is all tactics. Too many games set up the strategy before your map is loaded, leaving you with nothing but tactics. I feel more of a sense of gratitude, accomplishment, if it were my strategy that helped precipitate a victory.