Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: New Computer Questions
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 3:30 am 

I am looking into buying a new computer and I had some questions. I am looking an an AMD FX 53 with 2x1gb of ram with and XT800 XT with about 250 gb hard drive. I have checked out a couple of different places online that build comps like ABS, Falcon and Alienware. What are some of the other good companies that I should check out? Is there anything that I am missing to make a kick ass gaming machine?

Thanks for the help.

Post subject: Re: New Computer Questions
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 4:31 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

guggidadi wrote:
I am looking into buying a new computer and I had some questions. I am looking an an AMD FX 53 with 2x1gb of ram with and XT800 XT with about 250 gb hard drive. I have checked out a couple of different places online that build comps like ABS, Falcon and Alienware. What are some of the other good companies that I should check out? Is there anything that I am missing to make a kick ass gaming machine?

Thanks for the help.

www.voodoo.ca

Also, unless you have money to burn and want bragging rights for the next few months (until the 90nm Athlon 64's with PCI-E and the R500/NV48s debut), I'd recommend something slightly less powerful.

Something like an Athlon 64 3500+, and a GeForce 6800 GT with 1GB of RAM will be nearly as fast in actual game play, but cost about $650 less.

As far as the gaming experience goes, the things I would recommend are a good mouse and mouse pad (all preference, Logitech makes good stuff), a good monitor (remember, monitors don't go out of date, so while spending $800 on a CPU that will be middle of the pack in 12 months, spending $800 on a Dell 2001FP that will still be kicking 5 years from now isn't so silly). Games play better through headphones, and the Audigy 2 is stil the best gaming sound card.

Other than that, your videocard is the most important part, and I prefer two physical hard drives. One of your OS/Games/Applications (like a 74GB Raptor) and the other, larger drive for your data/backup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 2:00 am 

Thanks for the input. I was going to go all out so I didnt have to upgrade for a longer amount of time. You were saying that headphones sound better then speakers. Is that still true if I buy 5.1 or 7.1 speakers from like Creative or Klipsch?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 6:14 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

guggidadi wrote:
Thanks for the input. I was going to go all out so I didnt have to upgrade for a longer amount of time. You were saying that headphones sound better then speakers. Is that still true if I buy 5.1 or 7.1 speakers from like Creative or Klipsch?

You only have two ears (or two points of input), so in FPS's with good positional sound and a good soundacard, headphones are *way* more accurate. Back in CS days I got a few kills shooting through walls based on sound alone.

*Better* is subjective, but I also live with people who wouldn't apprecaite the booms and thumps of games blaring through a set of 400W Klipsches.