Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Doom 3 BFG Edition
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:28 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

I had just finished replaying Doom 3 on my "new" game PC two days before learning of the upcoming BFG Edition.

It was the first time I'd ever played the game with the graphics turned up, and I was reminded how old it really was. One thing was painfully clear: Doom 3 wasn't designed for modern widescreen gaming.

That's one of the first things I noticed about the BFG Edition: it looks "normal" in widescreen. They've bumped up a number of textures, although too many were left alone. Lighting is much improved. It runs much smoother than the original. And you can use the flashlight while shooting a gun. Can't wait to reach some of the redesigned and new content areas.

I managed to play about a minute of the original Doom before I just couldn't take any more. There's retro and then there's "How the fuck did we ever enjoy playing this crap?"

One thing I'm curious about: Did Bethesda buy id? I'm trying to figure out why their name is on the box.

Post subject: Re: Doom 3 BFG Edition
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:51 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Yes, Bethesda owns id, or at least they publish their games.

Post subject: Re: Doom 3 BFG Edition
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:59 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Ya know, Graphics isn't the only thing I look for in games. I like a good story along with adventure and great fights. For me graphics is good eye candy, a plus but not the most important aspect of games...Halflife comes to mind as a great game in all aspects, the only thing is the graphics are dated, but you get so wrapped up in the story and action that you forget that and enjoy the game anyway....at least I do. Just because a game is great in graphics doesn't mean it is going to be a great game too.

Nasty