Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Ubuntu wifi problems
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:08 am 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

I have a netbook (acer AspireOne ADA-150) that dualboots Ubuntu 9.04 and Win7 RC. In Windows 7, wireless works perfectly. When i turn it on, the little light comes on and everythings fine. But in ubuntu, the wireless wont turn on when i flick the switch. it has an Atheros wifi card if that makes any difference. Im a bit of a linux noob, do i not have it installed or something? i can't recall if it ever worked in ubuntu..

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:24 am 

I have the same problem with my HP except I am running dedicated linux now (Gos distro) and from everything I have read up on you will need to download the proper drives for your Laptops wifi card and there is a program you will need to install to support it all. I am still pretty new to linux and as soon as I get it to run I will post it here.

JR

Post subject: Re: Ubuntu wifi problems
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:30 am 
Super Mario Banhammer
Super Mario Banhammer

Denis63 wrote:
I have a netbook (acer AspireOne ADA-150) that dualboots Ubuntu 9.04 and Win7 RC. In Windows 7, wireless works perfectly. When i turn it on, the little light comes on and everythings fine. But in ubuntu, the wireless wont turn on when i flick the switch. it has an Atheros wifi card if that makes any difference. Im a bit of a linux noob, do i not have it installed or something? i can't recall if it ever worked in ubuntu..

Thanks

If the wifi device is not a kernel driver yet you may need to go to the wifi manufacturer's support site and look for a proprietary driver. Caution: proprietary drivers are not supported by Canonical or Ubuntu and may not update properly when kernel patches are applied or other updates are run. That said the manufacturer of the wifi device may have Linux drivers available or at least may have source code that can be compiled into a driver package. you can then use yacc or gcc to compile the source into binaries that can then be included in your distro. A lot of it depends on if the device has kernel mode drivers available for it. If it doesnt, and it sounds as if it does not by the description of the problem, then you will need the appropriate device driver.

As to being a noob about Linux I share your pain. Im just starting with Linux myself

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:13 pm 

So after about 20 minutes of tinkering I have managed to get my wifi card to run with Linux. I installed a program called NDiswrapper You will need this to install your Wireless card from what I understand.

once you have that installed you will need to download the driver for your wireless card save it to a location that you will be able to find it easy later. Next run the now installed Windows Wireless Drives (NDiswrapper) and select your wireless card's driver's inf file.

Thats what worked for me I am now running off of my wifi network as I type this =)

JR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:47 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Post the output of this:

Code:
dmesg | grep "wlan"

Also, this was in my google results, it might help you:
http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-478350.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:53 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

It is important to note that the NDISwrapper is only required if there are no native drivers for your chipset. The wrapper is a nifty utility that allows you to use Windows drivers in linux by 'wrapping' the windows driver and translating system calls from 'linux' to 'windows' and vice versa.

The first step is to determine if your chipset has a native driver set (google) and if so, how to install them (google). If not, grab the latest ndiswrapper (available in most current linux repositories) and the latest windows drivers for your card and follow the instructions (google) to get it up and running.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:45 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

FWIW, I just ran across this page...

http://linux-wless.passys.nl/

Obviously, one would need some knowledge of the hardware they have, but it seems pretty extensive as to what works and what doesn't work.