Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Laptop to Linux help?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:51 pm 

I purchased a Dell Latitude LM laptop from eBay some time ago and just recently decided that I'd like to use it for my first experience with Linux.

Here are a few bumps I have run into. First, my dell Laptop is old (133mhz Pentium with a 1.5 GB HD, CD ROM) and when I start up the machine it says that it cannot find the OS. Second bump, the Linux distro I have is Mandrake 10.1 (on three CDs) and I am not sure it will even fit on the HD.

Any suggestions, or questions that might help me clarify this whole mess?

The Lost GM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:09 pm 
iron colbinator
iron colbinator

Well, here is one guide for installing RedHat 6.1, though RH6.1 is so old that some of the stuff won't quite apply anymore. There is useful information about what type of video and whatnot is in the LM.

1.5GB is a tight squeeze, you won't get a lot of fluff in there but you should at least get installed.

When it says it can't find the OS, have you installed Linux on it already? Or are you trying to boot from floppy/CD to install Linux? OR, are you trying to access the old OS on the drive?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:48 pm 

Quote:
When it says it can't find the OS, have you installed Linux on it already? Or are you trying to boot from floppy/CD to install Linux? OR, are you trying to access the old OS on the drive?

I have not installed Linux on it yet.

The only thing I get when I start up the computer is the startup menu, then a prompt that says it cannot detect an OS.

The HD was wiped and there is no old or new OS.

The Lost GM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:25 pm 

chances are the MBR still has the windows crap on it. If you can go through the Drake install process, in the bootloader section, have the bootloader start on the first sector of the harddrive. With those specs though, you probably want to go with a much lighter distro.