Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: new to linux- seeking guidance
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:47 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I finally decided to make an attempt to remove myself from window and make the switch to ubuntu. I had a heck of a time installing it. I was con fussed with the tree structure while looking for the drive letter to install it. It took me a short while to figure out that it has a different structure system. I guess my first question is where can I learn about the directory system? Also, I thought the os had to be on a different partition. It seems to have installed in the windows partition--yes, I am dual booting. But I am also glad I am able to access my files. I have to figure out how to get itunes on for my ipods and iphone. Is there a DVDHD decryptor and DVD Shrink for ubuntu? How do I get around this? And while surfing Digg.com and clicking a few links--such as videos--I was unable to view the videos. I mostly use my pc for surfing, videos, movies, music, and typing. I am using Ubuntu 9.04.

Post subject: Re: new to linux- seeking guidance
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:04 am 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

rreyes3000 wrote:
I finally decided to make an attempt to remove myself from window and make the switch to ubuntu. I had a heck of a time installing it. I was con fussed with the tree structure while looking for the drive letter to install it. It took me a short while to figure out that it has a different structure system. I guess my first question is where can I learn about the directory system? Also, I thought the os had to be on a different partition. It seems to have installed in the windows partition--yes, I am dual booting. But I am also glad I am able to access my files. I have to figure out how to get itunes on for my ipods and iphone. Is there a DVDHD decryptor and DVD Shrink for ubuntu? How do I get around this? And while surfing Digg.com and clicking a few links--such as videos--I was unable to view the videos. I mostly use my pc for surfing, videos, movies, music, and typing. I am using Ubuntu 9.04.

Glad to hear you've decided to make a jump and experience something new.

For learning more about Ubuntu, and Linux in general, the Ubuntu docs is some of the best distro specific documentation I've ever read. Organized, easy to find, and always up to date.

https://help.ubuntu.com/

Linux and Windows won't sit on the same partition. Hell, no two OSs will be installed on the same partition, and still be usable. How exactly did you install Ubuntu?

iTunes isn't currently compatable to install on Linux. There are some nice alternatives though. Rhythmbox, the music player that comes with Ubuntu should work. For definite Ipod support, look up Gtkpod.

The DVDShrink equivalent for Linux would be Thoggen, Acidrip, or any other front-end to MEncoder. There are also several tutorials on the web for using MEncoder via the command line.

Most videos on the internet use Adobe Flash technology. No Linux distro can remain free and distribute copyrighted, proprietary software, like the codecs to play MP3s, AVIs, or Flash videos to name a few. If you're using Firefox, and trying to view a site that requires special codecs (like those for Flash video), Firefox will ask you if you'd like to install the necessary software. You say yes, it installs, Firefox restarts, and you're golden. For playing MP3s and various "restricted" media formats, look up "Gstreamer plugins" in Synaptic, or Add/Remove Programs.

Post subject: Re: new to linux- seeking guidance
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:39 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

that Linux guy wrote:
For learning more about Ubuntu, and Linux in general, the Ubuntu docs is some of the best distro specific documentation I've ever read. Organized, easy to find, and always up to date.
You haven't read Gentoo's docs then have you? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:14 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

YES! Excuse my poor memory but when I installed ubuntu I came to a window that asked if I wanted to install on the whole partition, side-by-side another os, or set the partition--there was a fourth to do this last step manually. I opted for the set the partition(not manually). There was a slider that I could adjust side to side. But I noticed that the whole bar was only 40gb--this is the partition I set up for windows. OK . . . so I decided to move the slider to allotted windows 30 and give ubuntu 10--after all, I could give more of the unpartitioned disk with partition magic I figure. All was good. When I was up and running I noticed I was able to access the windows directory through ubuntu. I thought linux did not recognize NTSF files? But wait . . . I also noticed ubuntu was on the 40 gb partition! Oh crap! I wondered what happened to windows. I rebooted and loged onto windows and sure enough the same thing--40gb was alloted to windows. I went to disk management in windows expecting to see two partitions but only saw one 40. So do I have to do it over again?