Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Solaris 10
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:18 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Ok, I've got Solaris 10 x86 downloaded and installed on a Dual PIII 1Ghz PC. Seems to be running Ok.

I'm having some difficulty with the CLI commands. I assume this is Unix (BSD?)... does it have some sort of package manager like apt or emerge?

It appears to have Evolution on it, so I may be able to connect to our exchange server. However, I need to get a VNC program. RealVNC.com has one for solaris, but it's for the SPARC platform. Anyone know of a Solaris/unix port that will work with x86?

Well, it's time for me to go home so, I'll save any other questions I have for tomorrow.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:26 pm 
iron colbinator
iron colbinator

Check out Solaris docs at docs.sun.com

Here's one about managing software with their GUI tool (in the basic system administration section)

Solaris does have a package management system (the pkgadd tool). Their naming conventions aren't terribly useful but once you figure out what you're looking at you kind of get used to it. I don't know about remote packages like APT, though, I never bothered to get that far with Solaris myself :)

Here's a Sun Freeware Site that seems to have links for both Intel and sparc, not to mention some FAQs and whatnot that will probably prove to be useful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:04 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

You are awesome! Thanks, I'll have some reading/learning to do today. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:08 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

We use Real VNC on the Solaris server at school, so you should be able to get that set up. Instead of using VNC though, you might want to just use X, which is already setup installed and on my network and was much faster than VNC. At work, we use a program called Exceed to connect to the Solaris servers there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:25 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Gadget wrote:
Instead of using VNC though, you might want to just use X.

X? Isn't that X-server, which is what Gnome and KDE use or is this something else?

I'm not currently using Solaris on that PC anymore 'cause I couldn't figure out how to get Folding at Home running on it... I couldn't possibly allow you catch up. :P

Actually, the reason I wanted VNC is so that I could control other PC's from the Solaris box. What I'm trying to do is have at least 1 Non-Windows box that I can use daily and administer Windows PCs from.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:27 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

TWBalls wrote:
X? Isn't that X-server, which is what Gnome and KDE use or is this something else?

Yes. X Windows is based on a client-server model. The client's connection (KDE or GNOME for example) is transparent to the X server whether it is local or across a network.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:07 pm 
iron colbinator
iron colbinator

TWBalls wrote:
Actually, the reason I wanted VNC is so that I could control other PC's from the Solaris box. What I'm trying to do is have at least 1 Non-Windows box that I can use daily and administer Windows PCs from.

Why not use terminal services to a Win2000/2003 server or XP box? That's how I cheat ;)

http://www.rdesktop.org

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:00 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

TWBalls wrote:
Gadget wrote:
Instead of using VNC though, you might want to just use X.

I'm not currently using Solaris on that PC anymore 'cause I couldn't figure out how to get Folding at Home running on it... I couldn't possibly allow you catch up. :P

LOL... there is no danger of that happening any time soon. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:05 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

Skeksis wrote:
TWBalls wrote:

Yes. X Windows is based on a client-server model. The client's connection (KDE or GNOME for example) is transparent to the X server whether it is local or across a network.

Just to be clear, an X client doesn't have to be a window manager like KDE or Gnome. It is really any client application that uses the X protocal to display something. Kind of murky, I know.... maybe Colby can shed a little more light on this.