PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:01 pm 

First of all, here's my current configuration:

IBM ThinkPad A20m
Pentium III @700 Mhz
512 MB RAM
120 GB internal hard drive
Internal DVD-ROM drive
4-port USB 2.0 CardBus/PCMCIA adapter
200 GB SATA external hard drive (from my old tower PC)
120 GB EIDE external hard drive (also from my old tower PC)
Ubuntu Studio 8.10

Both of the external hard drives are formatted with Windows XP Home Edition.
The 200 GB external HD was used as a dual-boot drive, with both Windows XP Home and Mythbuntu 8.10.

My tower system died several months ago, either from heat-related issues or due to a burst of electrical noise that even my UPS could not handle. For financial reasons, I removed the hard drives and mounted them in external enclosures, which I then connected to my laptop via USB 2.0 cables and my 4-slot USB Cardbus adapter.

At first, the setup worked splendidly. Then, about three weeks ago, an unusually loud burst of line noise came over my DSL line (which, I might add, was properly filtered, and connected to my UPS as well!). Now, whenever I try to mount either of my external hard drives, I get an error message saying that the volumes in question cannot be mounted due to Windows not having shut down cleanly on that drive. I have a lot of data on the 200 GB drive especially that I did not get the chance to transfer to my laptop's internal hard drive before this happened, and I am anxious to get it back if at all possible. Is there some way I can repair this?

Oh, one other thing: The internal DVD-ROM drive, which formerly would play movies directly without any difficulty, now (since the burst of DSL line noise I mentioned earlier) refuses to do so. This in turn forces me to rip any movie I want to watch onto my hard drive. (If I try to simply insert the DVD and play the movie, I get an error message saying that the resource cannot be opened, and that I may not have permission to open the file!) Would this indicate actual hardware damage, or is there some setting I need to tweak in Ubuntu Studio, or what?

I would deeply appreciate ANY help or assistance with these problems!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:43 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

It could be hardware damage, but it is hard to tell.

I have one simple suggestion: use a LiveCD. If you boot from the LiveCD, you'll be avoiding all of the software and config data on your hard drive and you'll be booting from a clean image. This means that you should be able to narrow the problem down to either hardware or software.

If the drives still don't function using the LiveCD, you're probably cursed with a hardware failure. On the other hand, if the drives work properly (let's hope!), then it is just a software problem. The worst case here is that you'd have to reinstall your OS .. but there are probably easier ways to fix the problem. Regardless, a software problem won't cost you anything to fix.