Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: "monitor does not support resolution"
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:41 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

OK, so I was having a problem with my videocard in ubuntu. For some reason, i couldnt get the res above 786X1024By mistake, i set my res at some weird one, which my monitor does not support. Whenever i go to it, i get the "monitor does not support resoulution" error, directly from my monitor. What my problem is, is that I cant change it, and that account is my only admin account for ubuntu. Is there any way that I can get this back?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:12 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

When you boot, there should be a recovery option in the bootloader. It'll be called the same thing as the what you would normally boot from, just with "(Recovery)" at the end. It should be the second option in the bootloader. Have you tried that? I've got no idea what it does (never used it before), but it's certainly worth a try. I think it should be like safemode in windows.

Another way to do it would be too boot from a live CD of your favorite linux distro (probably ubuntu). When it boots, mount the HDD that ubuntu is installed on. On the HDD, navigate to "/etc/X11". In that folder, there should be a file called "Xorg.conf". Open that file. Within that file, there should be one or more different monitor configurations. It's pretty easy to understand whats going on within the file. You'll need to find the configuration with a really oddball resolution, and either fix the resolution, or just delete the profile. I STRONGLY RECOMMEND MAKING A BACKUP OF THE "Xorg.conf" FILE BEFORE EDITING IT!!! This should work, but i'm not positive since I don't have access to a ubuntu machine at the moment. Note that if you can get in using recovery mode, then just edit the file in recovery mode. You'll have to use a "sudo" command to be able to edit the "Xorg.conf" file though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:48 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

There may be a simpler answer -

Are these the stock video drivers or did you load the restricted drivers?

and someone may want to move this to alt.os.