PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:03 pm 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

I don't see why you couldn't upgrade.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:06 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Upgrade Fedora? Because it would eraze all info in the partition and id have to uploaded 6 GBS of web pages?, set set up emails, etc?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:07 pm 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*

nekollx wrote:
i have experience with Dos and BASIc but not so much Apache

lolerskates, that just answered my question. Fear not! You can upgrade; you will just have to upgrade your skills as well. Reading material is on it's way.

Oh yeah, you really should build a test box for this in case something goes wrong...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:13 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

nekollx wrote:
Upgrade Fedora? Because it would eraze all info in the partition and id have to uploaded 6 GBS of web pages?, set set up emails, etc?

Actually it won't, but hey, if you feel the need to do it your way and reformat it then have at it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:29 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Lodis4 wrote:
I think his issue is that FC7 is no longer supported and the YUM repos only have the older versions. Not that this is an excuse for being a dick in the response to those helping.

Truthfully, there shouldn't be a reason you couldn't find these at places like rpmfind and phone.net.

Heck, I still find stuff from SuSE 9.0 out there (which is way older then FC7)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:39 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

furball146 wrote:
nekollx wrote:

Actually it won't, but hey, if you feel the need to do it your way and reformat it then have at it.

Not acording to GoDaddy who offers a free upgrade of Fedora 7 right inside the site manager

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:07 pm 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

nekollx wrote:
furball146 wrote:
nekollx wrote:

Not acording to GoDaddy who offers a free upgrade of Fedora 7 right inside the site manager
It better be free....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:11 pm 

CrashTECH wrote:
nekollx wrote:
furball146 wrote:
nekollx wrote:

It better be free....

It is hardly a surprise. I just upgraded a server last fall that was running FC2. You know how it is Crash, as long as the server runs there is no major reason to upgrade.

Unfortunately the Fedora development cycle moves far faster than the utility of the release deprecates. RHEL costs money and Fedora is free as long as you can tolerate the lack of support after a while.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:52 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

nekollx wrote:

and you're believing IMO, one of the worlds worst web hosts.

I suppose if you're using their tools, I can see why they'd wipe you. So have you changed the scope of this yet again in that you're looking to install this on one of their servers?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:08 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

ive been usingther Virtual Dedicated Server this entire time

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:16 pm 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Lodis4 wrote:
It is hardly a surprise. I just upgraded a server last fall that was running FC2. You know how it is Crash, as long as the server runs there is no major reason to upgrade.

Unfortunately the Fedora development cycle moves far faster than the utility of the release deprecates. RHEL costs money and Fedora is free as long as you can tolerate the lack of support after a while.
I would have gone with something that had support or offered an LTS. However most hosting providers have been set up to use CentOS which is the "free" RHEL. Kinda surprised to see somebody selling hosting service with Fedora actually.

Honestly, I wasn't impressed with Fedora back when I used it. (2-4 time frame). It just didn't do it for me.

Honestly, that is one thing that kind of annoys me with Linux. They put out new releases too often. They really should slow full blown releases down and just issue updates to existing ones. It would make the server admins job easier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:43 pm 

I completely agree with you issues regarding the release schedule. But it is what it is and all we can do is adapt.

BTW the FC2 upgrade was to CentOS 5 so I am good for a while. I think several companies went the Fedora route before they really thought it through. It was free an that is a far as the thought process went.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:36 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

nekollx wrote:
furball146 wrote:
nekollx wrote:

Incredibly, people are still trying to help you and you're still pushing back. Unbelievable.

Linux is not windows. You can easily upgrade versions without touching your install because you are only upgrading your kernel .... unlike MS, the kernel is not the OS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:25 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

<sigh>

You might want to look at the steps here to fix YUM.

http://www.fedorafaq.org/f7/#installsoftware

Amazingly two of those mirrors are fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:39 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Jipstyle wrote:
Incredibly, people are still trying to help you and you're still pushing back. Unbelievable.

Linux is not windows. You can easily upgrade versions without touching your install because you are only upgrading your kernel .... unlike MS, the kernel is not the OS.
Even then you can STILL upgrade windows without breaking your shit. In nearly ALL cases upgrading works the same. The only time you ever have an issue is if you have applications that just wont work with the newer version of windows. There are a few more caviats to upgrading windows, but it isn't much different.

If GoDaddy just wipes the shit then that is insane. No hosting provider in their right mind would cripple their customers if they wanted serious service especially in the VPS world.

I still want to know why his Yum is broken. I can easily do apt installs from Ubuntu 6.06 LTS. I don't buy that "Fedora 7 is old" as a reason for YUM to not work. I just don't buy into why this is so freaking difficult.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:47 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

I'm not pushing back. GoDaddy has a big old "click here to learn how to upgrade your OS but be ward this will re partition your hard drive."

When i get into the office later today i'll post up the screen shot of what the yum update says.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:08 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Image[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:48 pm 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

nekollx wrote:

Repository base is listed more than once in the configuration

This should have clued you in to what was going on. You need to fix your repository list it looks like. I know this is a CentOS board but the idea is the same.

What is in your /etc/yum.repo.d/ directory?

Also read this:
http://www.fedoraguide.info/index.php?title=Main_Page

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:57 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

my Repo.D folder contains

fedora-core.repo
fedora-development.repo
fedora-updates-testing.repo
fedora-updates.repo
fedora.repo
turbopanel.repo

What should i be looking at for your links. Theirs a lot to digest and i only have marginal knowledge of Fedora.

Note: I apologize if any of my past responses came of curt. The office (outside of this issue) has been extra busy and i guess the stress was getting to me. Intentionally or not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:12 pm 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

nekollx wrote:
my Repo.D folder contains

fedora-core.repo
fedora-development.repo
fedora-updates-testing.repo
fedora-updates.repo
fedora.repo
turbopanel.repo

What should i be looking at for your links. Theirs a lot to digest and i only have marginal knowledge of Fedora.

Note: I apologize if any of my past responses came of curt. The office (outside of this issue) has been extra busy and i guess the stress was getting to me. Intentionally or not.

Look for duplicates in that file?