Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: FTP in 10.4
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:38 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone knew how i could setup FTP sharing in my PowerMac G3 running Mac OS 10.4.11. I have FTP sharing turned on in system preferences and i can access the files fine when i navigate to the site on my G3 but when i try to access the files on say a PC in the same browser it will not work for some reason or another.

Thanks for the help
Hiremenow

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:29 am 
Monkey Fed [PC]
Monkey Fed [PC]

So are you using that Mac as a fileserver? I'm a wee bit confused here. Or are you trying to share files on your mac over the network ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:19 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

I'm just puzzled as to how you're trying to access it?

You're not going to be able to hit a machine via an external IP that's intneral on your own network and as such, you'll need to hit the machine via it's internal IP address.

Without knowing the error though, there's many different scenarios as to what's going on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:56 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Well what i am trying to do is setup my machine to access files over the internet by typing in my IP address you know in case i forget some file that i desperately need on my mac then i can access the folder over the internet. With out paying for any real expensive service.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:25 pm 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*

Not sure I would hire you. Nope, don't think I would. Hell I might even cut the interview short so I can move on to the next candidate.

Now that I got that out of my system you mention nothing of configuring your router to forward the appropriate FTP ports to your 'server'; in this case the G3.

To access the files from the internet you will need the following:

1. The outside IP address of your router. If you have a dynamic IP I would recommend a service like dynDNS.com

2. The corresponding ports forwarded through the router to the machine in question. FTP uses port 21 so you would need to forward that port to the G3.

I have a question. Since FTP passes the username and password in plain text, and is generally not the most secure thing out there, why did you choose FTP over SSH? You can use WinSCP and PuTTY on a USB key through portable apps.