Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Fedora & Vista both?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:01 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

I'm starting the last 2 years of my compsci degree, which means I'm starting the first year of actual compsci.

We are running fedora linux os on our pc's at school.

I would like to install this on my home pc and/or notebook as well so I can work on it on the side.

Is there any way I can install fedora on my vista machines? If so how? How would I select each for booting?

Yes, I am aware google exists and will be searching there too, but this is probably one of the quickest ways to access the 'gods of computing'.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:26 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

we do have a sticky in the top of this forum that is pretty exhaustive in this area. May have been a good idea to look there before posting...and probably saved even more time 8)

In short, you'll want to resize your drive so you have a unpartitioned space to install to, and just install Fedora, or whatever flavor you want to work with. Typically the installation wizards will have options to use just the unpartitioned space to install to. In the end, you'll end up with a bootloader (grub) that you can choose fedora or vista.

Notebook may end up being a little trickier because of the hardware.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:57 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

I did see the sticky; but was fishing for quick tips etc in addition to my own research.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:33 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

There isn't much in the way of quick tips that isn't already posted there. Vista and Fedora in a dual boot should be pretty straight forward.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:58 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

I'm going to lock this thread. You're being lazy. There is a sticky that discusses how to dual-boot windows and linux and it has everything that you need to know.

If you have specific questions, feel free to start another thread. We're happy to help. What we are not going to do is re-type what already exists in a sticky thread because you're too lazy to read it.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]