Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Permission problem with Ubuntu 8.04
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:47 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

I just tried doing the Coolbits hack to my xorg.conf, but when I tried to save the change a banner came up across the top of my gedit window saying:
Quote:
You do not have the permissions necessary to save the file. Please check that you typed the location correctly and try again.

My account is the only one on this machine, so how could I not have the permissions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:51 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

If your account is the only one on that machine, then you need to set up another account. You need two accounts (minimum) for a well-built linux box. One is your personal account that you use day-to-day and the other is the root account that you use when you're administering your box.

Take a look at the permissions for the file you are trying to access and the folder in which it resides. The easiest way to do that is to type 'ls -la in the folder itself.

We want to see the complete line for the file itself and the first two lines of the output so we can tell what permissions you need for that folder.

In the end, you'll have to chmod the permissions for the file or the folder or both in order to be able to edit the file.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:58 am 
Northwood
Northwood

Granted you should have two accounts. Administrator and one other. But if you only have one account it has to be the administrator account. Why would the administrator not have permission to save a .config file? Be gentle, I'm not an expert, it just seems like the admin, who can theoretically do anything, should be able to save the file.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:16 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

TheSimulatorGuy wrote:
But if you only have one account it has to be the administrator account. Why would the administrator not have permission to save a .config file? Be gentle, I'm not an expert, it just seems like the admin, who can theoretically do anything, should be able to save the file.
That was my thought, that's why I'm asking.

I'm also getting the same message when I try to alter GRUB's menu.lst

Quote:
Take a look at the permissions for the file you are trying to access and the folder in which it resides. The easiest way to do that is to type 'ls -la in the folder itself.
by this, I'm assuming you mean to type that into a terminal window?

Using the GUI, I can right click, select properties, and the select the "permissions" tab.

It shows
Quote:
Owner: root
Acess: Read and Write

Group: root
Access Read Only

Others:
Access: Read Only
I'm guessing that the problem must be in that my name isn't root :lol:

Now that's on the file itself. If I take a step back in the directory the permissions on the folder itself say pretty much the same thing, just using different terms:
Quote:
Create and Delete Files
under owner, and
Quote:
Access Files
for the other two. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:27 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Jip's right, but I'm not sure that doing a chmod on somewhere like /etc/X11 is a great idea, not to mention that a root account is setup on the machine, it's not exactly apparent though as it's setup by the OS.

You can enter superuser mode and make your edit that way. Since you're running Ubuntu, you can repeat your previous command with the command sudo in front of it so you run the command as temporarily as root.

so in your case, it'll be

sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf (substitute gedit with whatever editor you're using, be it pico, name, or whatever)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:30 am 
Monkey Fed [PC]
Monkey Fed [PC]

I'm going to say that your install already HAS two accounts. You log onto Ubuntu with something like bbies1973 and a password, right? This is your user account. Some commands are not allowed by your user account, and like furball said, they need to be done with the SUDO command. I will also agree with furball in that you really shouldn't chmod xorg.conf.

Basically, if you try a command and it says you don't have permission, you need to do sudo (insert command here).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:33 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

how did you edit the file?

look up the sudo command. It is your friend. Two accounts are not necessary for Ubuntu.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:41 am 
Monkey Fed [PC]
Monkey Fed [PC]

CrashTECH wrote:
how did you edit the file?

look up the sudo command. It is your friend. Two accounts are not necessary for Ubuntu.

Are you sure? Every time I've installed Linux, you have an Administrator account (sudo) and a user account. You really don't want to be on your system full time as an administrator, do you?

Or do you mean two USER accounts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:47 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

TheSimulatorGuy wrote:
Granted you should have two accounts. Administrator and one other. But if you only have one account it has to be the administrator account. Why would the administrator not have permission to save a .config file? Be gentle, I'm not an expert, it just seems like the admin, who can theoretically do anything, should be able to save the file.

I should have been clear. There is almost certainly a root account on his box in addition to the user account. Generally, when you use the GUI install for a newer distro, you'll be prompted to create a user account as part of the setup. I'm guessing that this is the account that he is using.

By default, the user account created by the install routines is not a root account ... so he needs to use root to perform his administrative changes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:48 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

furball146 wrote:
Jip's right, but I'm not sure that doing a chmod on somewhere like /etc/X11 is a great idea, not to mention that a root account is setup on the machine, it's not exactly apparent though as it's setup by the OS.

:oops:

Nice catch, furball .. I wasn't looking at what he was editing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:04 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

bigtoyota479 wrote:
Are you sure? Every time I've installed Linux, you have an Administrator account (sudo) and a user account. You really don't want to be on your system full time as an administrator, do you?

Or do you mean two USER accounts?

sudo pulls it's permissions from the group root, not the account.

The account root is a system user and is setup with the install. Ubuntu sets up the account like any other system user and basically assigns a random password to it.

In the end, you end up with 1 local user (whatever you setup) and about 20 systems users.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:08 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Jipstyle wrote:
furball146 wrote:

I figure you were either distracted by the jeep, some french-canadian hottie, got a tattoo, or you're typing with one hand because you decided to use an axe again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:12 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

furball146 wrote:
sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf (substitute gedit with whatever editor you're using, be it pico, name, or whatever)
I think I like this idea better than chmod, too.

This is exactly the answer I was looking for. Using sudo worked like a champ. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:16 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

furball146 wrote:
Jipstyle wrote:
furball146 wrote:

I figure you were either distracted by the jeep, some french-canadian hottie, got a tattoo, or you're typing with one hand because you decided to use an axe again.

See .. scary shit like this is exactly why I don't participate in 'who are you' threads ... you guys know too much about me as it is.

;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:18 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Jipstyle wrote:

See .. scary shit like this is exactly why I don't participate in 'who are you' threads ... you guys know too much about me as it is.

;)[/quote] You are screwed royal now. lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:15 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

CrashTECH wrote:
Jipstyle wrote:

;)
You are screwed royal now. lol[/quote]

Time to move across the country yet again

Bastards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:47 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

Jipstyle wrote:
Bastards.
You take that back! My parents were married when I was born! :cry:

Post subject: