dell xps 1530 laptop

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:26 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootFromUSB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:23 pm 

try this.....it looks like it may be a bug http://www.ankurb.info/2008/11/19/solving-ubuntu-usb-disk-install-error/
Quote:
This happens on only certain makes of BIOS and hardware, and isn’t actually anything scary. The solution for this is pretty simple:

1. When you encounter the error message, force a shutdown by pressing down the power button.
2. Power up, and pop the Ubuntu Live CD into your CD tray. Boot into the Live CD session.
3. Plug-in your USB drive. Wait for it to be detected. If the system prompts you to auto-run the USB drive, press Cancel.
4. Go to System > Administrator > Partition Editor. Wait for it to scan available media. When it does, switch the media to your USB disk from the dropdown box at the top right corner.
5. Right click on the USB disk partition which shows up and choose Unmount. (I’m assuming that the disk is mounted; if it’s not you may skip this step.)
6. After it has been unmounted, right click again on the partition and choose the option Flags. In the dialog box that open, boot would already be checked. Let that be, and check the box next to lba. Click OK.
7. Apply any pending changes (if needed) by clicking the Apply button on top and close Partition Editor.
8. You can now shutdown / reboot the Live CD session. Note about Ubuntu 8.10 live CD session: On some system configs, shutdown / reboot might not work properly. If you reach a screen with a blinking cursor at the top only, eject CD / unplug pen drive. Software already loaded onto RAM will encounter an error and then proceed with shutdown. This does not harm your system in any way.

Try booting from USB disk next time. It should work now. This is a bug in the USB creator in Ubuntu which doesn’t add the LBA (logical block addressing) flag - which is needed for bootable partitions of size more than 500 MB. A small error, but one which can scare the wits out of some newcomer to Linux who’s trying out stuff.
This is directly out of the reading.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:04 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Mr Pockets151 wrote:
try this.....it looks like it may be a bug http://www.ankurb.info/2008/11/19/solving-ubuntu-usb-disk-install-error/
Quote:
This happens on only certain makes of BIOS and hardware, and isn’t actually anything scary. The solution for this is pretty simple:

1. When you encounter the error message, force a shutdown by pressing down the power button.
2. Power up, and pop the Ubuntu Live CD into your CD tray. Boot into the Live CD session.
3. Plug-in your USB drive. Wait for it to be detected. If the system prompts you to auto-run the USB drive, press Cancel.
4. Go to System > Administrator > Partition Editor. Wait for it to scan available media. When it does, switch the media to your USB disk from the dropdown box at the top right corner.
5. Right click on the USB disk partition which shows up and choose Unmount. (I’m assuming that the disk is mounted; if it’s not you may skip this step.)
6. After it has been unmounted, right click again on the partition and choose the option Flags. In the dialog box that open, boot would already be checked. Let that be, and check the box next to lba. Click OK.
7. Apply any pending changes (if needed) by clicking the Apply button on top and close Partition Editor.
8. You can now shutdown / reboot the Live CD session. Note about Ubuntu 8.10 live CD session: On some system configs, shutdown / reboot might not work properly. If you reach a screen with a blinking cursor at the top only, eject CD / unplug pen drive. Software already loaded onto RAM will encounter an error and then proceed with shutdown. This does not harm your system in any way.

Try booting from USB disk next time. It should work now. This is a bug in the USB creator in Ubuntu which doesn’t add the LBA (logical block addressing) flag - which is needed for bootable partitions of size more than 500 MB. A small error, but one which can scare the wits out of some newcomer to Linux who’s trying out stuff.
This is directly out of the reading.

LBA was aready checked, still i unchecked it and recheckedi t and let it update
shut down
rebooted
same error

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:29 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

There are all kinds of possibilities. USB drives are touchy as bootdisk in the first place. You may want to check with Dell, and see if the BIOS actually supports booting from USB.

For example, I have one mainboard that will boot from an external HDD or CD/DVD plugged into USB, but absolutely will not boot from my USB flash. Even though two other systems will boot from that same flashdrive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:25 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

wonder why i keep missing my subscription updates

i know the bios supports booting from USB because it can boot the Win 7 Installer from (the same modle) usb

Win 7 and Umbutu are each on their own OCZ Deisel 8GB thumb drive