Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: More linux articles.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:50 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

So as many of us Enjoyed Jip's artcle, so in hopes of lighting a fire and promoting Alt.OS on a regular basis I'm curious as to what everyone would like to see in regards to an Alt.OS styled article.

I remember the early days, we talked about linux routers and firewalls (instead of buying one), but that seems to have been discussed ad nauseum and honestly, I don't think there's a lot of interest in these areas anymore (on the personal desktop or network anyways)

Admittedly, I've always been interested in setting up a LAMP server, but someting like this a) is pretty entailed and b) doesn't exactly go with the magzine content.

So let's throw out some ideas and see if we can pimp something to the editors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:25 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

The only Linux project I have kinda been thinking about is a NAS, but they did something on FreeNAS a little while ago. I will try to think of something but I just haven't had a whole lot going on in the Alt.OS world for a little while.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:51 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

hmm...perhaps setting up Samba?

This can be screwy even for the most seasoned linux user.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:58 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Not a bad call. I tried setting up Samba once and I only ever got it "sort of" working.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:22 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Ditto.

Although, I ask myself what could be covered that isn't already published.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:39 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Maybe a "how to switch to a linux desktop."

I know Will did this a while back, but IMO, his article read more like a diary. I'm thinking something along the lines of do's/don'ts, What to do when it's installed (printers, NICs, etc..), where to find software, etc...

and I'm surprised Crash and I are the only one's who's talked so far. c'mon people. Even if it sounds silly, throw it out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:14 pm 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*

I like the Samba idea. Especially if it includes how to edit the conf files. I have a bit of experience in this area and the manual way can be our best friend but also twist you around 14 different ways.

I would like to get some ideas on a linux based SAN. Including iSCSI target setup, logical volumes, and LUN's. I know it is a bit advanced but if we all start talking about it maybe we can find some 'less complicated' topics of interest as well.

Printer setup is not that difficult, IMHO, but what about sharing that linux printer to a windows device? Having a Windows host and connecting a linux machine is not too hard but going the other way can make you spit nails.

xorg configuration if you widescreen monitor is not recognized or will not let you choose the native resolution. How to add the mode lines and where to get said mode information about you monitor would be nice.

I will come up with more soon. I just moved and have to do some electrical work before I can get my office setup so I am stuck with my Windows laptop for now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:40 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

oh! setting up a linux lunchbox!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:35 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Lodis4 wrote:
I would like to get some ideas on a linux based SAN. Including iSCSI target setup, logical volumes, and LUN's. I know it is a bit advanced but if we all start talking about it maybe we can find some 'less complicated' topics of interest as well.

ok, I guess this is the second vote. What am I missing here? Just seems like Samba for domains(or LDAP) with mount point management...am I oversimplifing what this is?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:12 pm 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

IMO, it is going to be tough to find / write linux articles that appeal to the majority of MaxPCs reader base. Most whom have the higher interest, are going to (like myself) grab Linux Journal or something similar.

Just my two cents...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:47 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

It's a fine line...I'm not exactly thinking of a higher interest either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:48 pm 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

furball146 wrote:
It's a fine line...I'm not exactly thinking of a higher interest either.
This is very true, but what I am trying to say is, that most things we would be interested, might be beyond the scope of the majority of max PC readers. I don't know anything about the subscriber demographics but my guess is that a fair number of them have never used linux or if they have, have only installed Ubuntu and haven't had to do too much with it. Just a guess.

I really could be wrong and I hope nobody finds this insulting. I just can't think of much that isn't already being written about in LJ et al (however I assume that is the point of this thread, to brain storm).

That said, Samba can never be written about often enough....

Maybe a good article on using a Live CD to recover data and/or backup data from a compromised / non-booting windows install? I have done this many times and it has saved my tail!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:09 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

no doubt about the livecd and it sort of steers away from the bart pe scenario and avoids all the legalities that comes with that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:21 pm 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

furball146 wrote:
no doubt about the livecd and it sort of steers away from the bart pe scenario and avoids all the legalities that comes with that.

Maybe we should all collaborate on something?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:49 am 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

What about the MPC doing something like doing reviews of the major distro each release? Last I heard MPC talk of Linux, aside from Jip's awesome article, it was announcing that Ubuntu 8.10 had been released. They did do a really quick run-through of the new features and such, but I can get that exact same info from Ubuntu's homesite in a couple clicks. What if they did a bit more of a review of releases from OpenSuSE, Slackware, Ubuntu, Debian, and Fedora? Even give a quick talk about the Linux kernel's new features when they have a new release? Something more than the occasional whisper of a new Ubuntu.

Writing something that'll appeal to MPC's reader base is difficult. Jip pretty much talked about the one thing they want to know about. Wine, so they can run their games. I understand most of the readers are power-users or gamers, but there are some general users here who would like to know about a small Linux home server of sorts.

A CUPS server?

I like the SAMBA article idea, but it would probably take a few separate articles to really get it written out well.

What about a media server? a trio of MythTV articles?

Home Automation perhaps?

LAMP server is a good idea, but I doubt many readers would care for it. Any other group of Linux enthusiasts would go gaga over it though.

Ya know, MPC has pitched the idea of getting some people to make the switch from Windows to Linux. That's a great topic for the beginner, but no matter how user-friendly today's Linux distros get, you're always better off knowing some basics of how to use the terminal. What about a small series of articles on learning the terminal? I've already written a few in my blog, and I'm working on more. Does this sound like something that possible MPC reader-base might be interested in?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:55 pm 

that Linux guy wrote:
What about the MPC doing something like doing reviews of the major distro each release?

I like this idea. Maybe we could collaborate on this and get them to print some/all of our reviews.

that Linux guy wrote:
Even give a quick talk about the Linux kernel's new features when they have a new release? Something more than the occasional whisper of a new Ubuntu.

I like the idea of more substance than "Hey, there's a new Ubuntu!" but have to wonder if the target audience really wants to know about kernel features... at least at first.

that Linux guy wrote:
Writing something that'll appeal to MPC's reader base is difficult.

True dat!

that Linux guy wrote:
A CUPS server?

I like this one. I know I have love/hate feelings when sharing printers.

that Linux guy wrote:
I like the SAMBA article idea, but it would probably take a few separate articles to really get it written out well.

Samba would almost definitely have to be Part I & II

that Linux guy wrote:
What about a media server? a trio of MythTV articles?

This would interest me; maybe not many others but I would read it. :)

that Linux guy wrote:
...other stuff about the terminal

I love the terminal but not sure it has mass appeal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:44 am 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

Currently for my blog, thatLinuxguy.wordpress.com, I'm working on a series of terminal tutorials, then going into shell scripting, into TCP/IP networking after that, and then going on with the install/config and administration of server apps, such as BIND, Apache, Sendmail, MySQL, Squid... etc. Unfortunately, these types of articles are more suited towards SysAdmin's readers rather than MaxPC. I could see a lot of people being interested in a small Linux media server/player, or a light-weight Linux firewall. I'd be more than willing to work on non-sysadmin type articles is I could get a few in MaximumPC.

I don't believe all of our reader base are gamers. It's probably a large portion, maybe even most of it, but I think we have a lot of techies here that are just basic users who happen to love computers. Modern Day Linux distros are goldmines of cool, easily available, free software for most intents and purposes. Linux is awesome for people who don't play games.

I'd also be willing to write my reviews of newest distros from all the major camps. Also, the noteable releases from Gnome, KDE, the Linux kernel, and other popular apps.

And I think many MaximumPC users who're interested in Linux should give the terminal a good go. If not for a better understanding of how a computer works, or how to get lots of tasks done quickly and effiently, than for PizzaParty. Order a pizza while you code!
http://www.beigerecords.com/cory/pizza_party/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:45 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

that Linux guy wrote:
I'm working on a series of terminal tutorials

that Linux guy wrote:
And I think many MaximumPC users who're interested in Linux should give the terminal a good go. If not for a better understanding of how a computer works, or how to get lots of tasks done quickly and effiently, than for PizzaParty. Order a pizza while you code!
http://www.beigerecords.com/cory/pizza_party/

Perhaps an article on using the command prompt in windows would be a good starting point then... :lol:

Somewhere in our lifetime, the knowledge of things like this went out the window. I totally agree with you, however IMO, unless there's some understandable and tangible benefit to use that for your normal desktop user, teaching terminal is of little benefit without something else to to supplement it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:00 pm 
Monkey Fed [PC]
Monkey Fed [PC]

I use the CP in Windows all the time, as well as Linux via a Putty terminal. It's the only way to fly!! Some things are just more easily done with a few text commands versus a dozen clicks, ya know?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:27 pm 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

bigtoyota479 wrote:
I use the CP in Windows all the time, as well as Linux via a Putty terminal. It's the only way to fly!! Some things are just more easily done with a few text commands versus a dozen clicks, ya know?

EXACTLY!!!