Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:34 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

When I dual-booted linux and windows vista I had vista installed on a ntfs partition and then I installed ubuntu 8.10 installed on an ext3 partition and I did the graphical resize of the partition when I installed it. I was wondering how I would change the boot order for the grub menu. I want vista to be the first option or at least the default boot choice. Im a total noob at linux as well so the stuff in the first post about editing the text file had me confused.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:40 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

**Thread split from Sticky thread**

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:16 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Which distribution? Ubuntu?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:41 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

ubuntu 8.10 32bit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:04 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Just edit your menu.lst and change your default

I suppose the simplest way in ubuntu is to go into a terminal and type

sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

You should see a line in there that says

default 0

change that to

default 1

Assuming that windows is the 2nd item in your list. You can increment by 1 depending on the amount of the entries. To be clear, 0 is the first entry labeled with Title

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:42 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

when I try to type my password in the password prompt in the terminal I cant.. It shows a think black cursor that indicates type is being typed. When I try to edit the text file directly I cant because my account doesn't have enough user permissions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:00 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

pellier wrote:
when I try to type my password in the password prompt in the terminal I cant.. It shows a think black cursor that indicates type is being typed. When I try to edit the text file directly I cant because my account doesn't have enough user permissions.
If I'm understanding this correctly, you aren't seeing any cursor movement while typing the password?

That's normal. In the terminal window, the cursor will stay where it is and appear as if nothing is being input for security. It prevents someone watching your screen from seeing it. It doesn't show **** like a lot of things do, because someone seeing this (by scrolling up in the terminal when you walk away from it) would then at least know how many characters it is.

When you say "try to edit the file directly" I'm assuming you mean by right clicking it the icon. This won't work because you have to start the command line with "sudo" to get full admin rights. Accessing the editor through the Graphical User Interface doesn't allow it.

For background info, I recently learned: When you install Ubuntu, you create a user account (your account) but the installation creates the admin account which you can only access through using "sudo". You can't actually log in as a full admin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:33 am 
Klamath
Klamath

Yes, I don't see any movement. I type my password and hit enter and then i get a message that says that the password was incorrect. My user account was the only account on the system and I didn't set a different password during setup

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:46 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Not sure what to tell ya other then be careful what you type..

you doing to sudo or su method?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:05 am 
Klamath
Klamath

sudo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:05 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Should be the same one you use when you log onto the box.

As a note of precaution, these are case sensitive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:19 am 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

You had to have setup a root user account when you installed Ubuntu. It's manditory for all Linux distros. Now if you've forgot the password, I'm not sure how to help you on that.

If you're sure that you ARE typing the right password, try typing the password really fast. You're likely to type it the exact same wrong you might have typed it when you setup the root password. Hope that made sense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:53 pm 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Ubuntu does not have you set up a root account. Ever. I have NEVER been asked to set one up for Ubuntu. In any event, you don't need a root account and it is far better you don't have one enabled on the machine. This is both a security feature to keep people out of your system and make sure you aren't just logging on with the root account for daily use.

Just use sudo. The password it asks you for is YOUR user account password. There isn't some other password out there, it is the very same one you log on with. You won't see it move when you enter it so you have to make sure you just type it all in one go.

Here is all you should need to know to get started with sudo:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

Quote:
By default, the root account password is locked in Ubuntu. This means that you cannot login as root directly or use the su command to become the root user. However, since the root account physically exists it is still possible to run programs with root-level privileges. This is where sudo comes in - it allows authorized users (normally "Administrative" users; for further information please refer to AddUsersHowto) to run certain programs as root without having to know the root password.