Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Diehard Intel Fan would like to Dual-Boot with Xp and Mac OS
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:37 am 

This has probably been asked many times and somewhere on here is the answer but can I just ask this question please.

I have an Intel D975BX2 mb running an Intel Q6600 quad-core with 4 gig of ram, presently operating XP Pro with SP3.

Without investing alot of greenbacks into a NEW system, is there any way I could use my present system and Dual-Boot Mac OS 10 + ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:44 am 
Northwood
Northwood

check out this page: http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:20 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

We can't really help too much with that. You will have better luck following another guide or visiting another site. The biggest (physical) problem is hardware compatibility and (meta-physical) being the legal gray area for using OSx on a non-mac machine.

At first glance, you SHOULD be okay. I got it to install on my laptop (Dell 1520). However, there were a few stability problems and it didn't always shutdown cleanly. Surprisingly, photobooth worked out of the box with my camera. However after closing the app the first time, without a reboot, it would crash if I opened it after that.

Try here, there are MANY guides and topics on hardware compatibility.

http://www.insanelymac.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:46 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Hey CT .. did you see the latest article on InsanelyMac? They're developing an OSX LiveCD. SWEET. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:21 am 

Thank you to all those that replied to this topic, I appreciated.

I will research your suggestions further not that I haven't already but I would have thought that more people would have a better and clear understanding of the problems regarding compatibility here at MaxPC.

Although am not NEW to this, I do understand the complexities of my request and all, it's just that am trying to understand the hardware difference between an Intel Mac and a Intel PC, other then the motherboard being strictly made by Apple.

Any other suggestions would be helpful, Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:39 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

The motherboards aren't made by Apple. Apple buys them just like they buy Intel CPUs.

What Apple does is write drivers for OSX only for the hardware that they've used in their Macs. For this reason, you can only install OSX on hardware that is identical to that used in a Mac. It is a considerably more limited set of hardware than any other contemporary OS and is thus the major stumbling block on the road to creating a Hackintosh.

Generally speaking, people who are successful in building a Hackintosh start by buying hardware specific to their purposes ... hardware that is already on the HCL that has been linked. In your case, you might have to buy some peripherals that are supported (wireless and wired NICs, video card, sound card) in order to get OSX fully installed ... if you're lucky enough to have a motherboard that is supported.

It is a fairly complicated topic and one that has only recently appeared here on the MPC forum ... there is much more information available to you in the links posted above. As always, we hope that you'll come back and share what you know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:37 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Jipstyle wrote:
Generally speaking, people who are successful in building a Hackintosh start by buying hardware specific to their purposes ... hardware that is already on the HCL that has been linked. In your case, you might have to buy some peripherals that are supported (wireless and wired NICs, video card, sound card) in order to get OSX fully installed ... if you're lucky enough to have a motherboard that is supported.
This is the biggest thing. If you REALLY want it to be stable you need to carefully pick the hardware.

Jipstyle wrote:
Hey CT .. did you see the latest article on InsanelyMac? They're developing an OSX LiveCD. SWEET. ;)
ZOMG sweet!