Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: For those that switched to Linux....
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:08 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Do you like it? I am about to build a new PC system and was wondering if I should install Linux? Never seen it in action and have only used XP. What are the advantages of going to Linux? I am not a comupter enthusiast just a normal user.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:26 am 
Team Member
Team Member

I like it. Im running Ubuntu 8.1 now from xp I find it much cleaner and modular in regards to toolbars. There are a few snags for me but you can use some windows apps on linux with WINE anyway so my snags are rather minor (except my damn video card).

Ubuntu has a nice add/remove installer which doesnt only work for your installed apps but grabs a list of third party apps aswell for those sites who have provided it to the ubuntu community to add.

Using .deb package installers for application not on those lists is as easy as windows for the average user.

If your still edgy about switching completely try dual booting for a bit or running it on another system to feel out different distros to find the one you want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:50 am 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

I love using Linux. I don't use it as much as I used to, simply because I'm part gamer, part SysAdmin-in-training. It's taken a back seat to my gaming habit as of late.

When I do fire up my Linux partition, I'm running Ubuntu 8.04 LTS. The advantages to using Linux are very different depending on who you are. For the longest time, Linux was only comfortably usable by those who're very, very computer savvy, and those with a bit of UNIX knowledge. Currently, you need none of this. As TekRat mentioned, Ubuntu has a wonderful add/remove program that literally keeps a catalog of available software to download from various software repositories. This is how most software in modern Linux distros is installed. instead of hunting down your programs from website after website, you can simply use the catalog to select your desired applications, or drop into a terminal.

$ sudo apt-get install app1 app2 app3

For a normal user, Linux is very easy, but some snags are easy to come by. If you're running esoteric hardware like TV tuners or WACOM tablets, you'll have to do a bit of reading to learn how to configure it.

Linux is the type of OS that gives you full control over every possible thing that happens, as much or as little as you wish. It's very configurable. The only downside to this is that highly configurable also means highly complex. Any simpler, and it's less configurable. This is why Macs are so popular with the masses, and Windows is often a good trade-off for most people, even those who're very tech savvy.

Trying out Linux is very easy. You can find instructions all over the net on creating a Linux LiveCD. A LiveCD will allow you to run the entire OS from a CD-R. It's speed isn't well represented in this way, but you can get a feel for what to expect with a real, native installation. Installing it isn't as hard as you think if you've ever installed Windows before, it's actually easier. if you've never installed an Operating System, then there are many great tutorials on the subject. I've written some my self. Shameless plug...

thatLinuxguy.wordpress.com

There are many more fantastic sites out there Google is your best friend as a Linux user.

I say go for it. Try it out. It's not difficult at all to have XP and Linux installed on the same computer. LiveCDs aren't hard to make once you figure out how to burn the file to the CD. Also, you can try out any Linux distro you want by simply using a virtual machine. I love VirtualBox for this. Learning Linux really changes the way you look at computing as a whole. For myself, it single-handedly breathed new life into my love for computers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:58 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

I switched to linux in the late 90s and haven't used Windows on any of my personal computing devices until this year. Some of the tools that I require for my job require Windows, so I'm now living with XP.

If you don't game, chances are quite good that linux has everything that you need ... for free.

Let us know what you do with your PC and we can tell you: a) whether linux is suitable for you, and b) how difficult it will be to get your PC running linux with all of the tools you need.

Post subject: Re: For those that switched to Linux....
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:30 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

refueler1 wrote:
Do you like it? I am about to build a new PC system and was wondering if I should install Linux? Never seen it in action and have only used XP. What are the advantages of going to Linux? I am not a comupter enthusiast just a normal user.

Thanks.

Thanks for everyones replies. I have decided to go with XP sp3. I need to find someone around me that has Linux so I can see it for myself. Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:18 pm 
Million Club 2+ [PC]*
Million Club 2+ [PC]*

There's plenty of tutorials available on how to dual boot Linux or run it as a Virtual Machine on your current rig. No need to wait and see. Hook yourself up and explore a different world. Ubuntu kicks ass.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:59 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Quakindude wrote:
There's plenty of tutorials available on how to dual boot Linux or run it as a Virtual Machine on your current rig. No need to wait and see. Hook yourself up and explore a different world. Ubuntu kicks ass.
Live CD mode kicks ass too :wink:

Most or all of the major distributions have a Live CD mode. You can test them without making any changes and then click the install button if you like what you see. Its amazing how you can surf the web while the OS is being installed. M$ will catch up in a few more yrs. Try several different distributions too... don't stick to just Ubuntu or whatever distro your friend uses. I like KDE so I use a derivative of Ubuntu called Kubuntu 8.04, which has KDE 3! I will switch to KDE 4 eventually.

http://fedoraproject.org/ and http://www.opensuse.org/en/ are very popular and easy to use too! You can find many more on http://distrowatch.com/ the "Page Hit Ranking" allows us to see some of the more popular distros. The easy-to-use PCLinuxOS (Ranked #6) might be just what you're looking for :!:
refueler1 wrote:

Thanks.
Yes I like it. After you find a distro you like using the Live CD mode or a Virtual Machine then install it and dual boot. The OS and software is free, easy to use and easy to maintain. Its nice not have to worry so much about malware and security. They try make things easy for normal users but if you have trouble chances are your not the first and google your best friend or you can ask on a forum.

Some people are terrified and discouraged by the command prompt/Terminal. Its really not all that bad once you get use to it. I update every piece of software on my PC with two commands "sudo apt-get update" and "sudo apt-get upgrade" Fortunately, they make graphical front-ends that are more appealing to most people. Either way is easier then updating all the software and patching a M$ OS. Its nice not having to restart my PC every time too. I'm terrified and discouraged by M$ update and the process of updating all the software on a M$ OS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:22 am 
Northwood
Northwood

Actually Linux Guy. The Wacom tablet drivers have been fixed mang. They work incredibly well with the last update :)

Post subject: Re: For those that switched to Linux....
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:32 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

refueler1 wrote:
Thanks for everyones replies. I have decided to go with XP sp3. I need to find someone around me that has Linux so I can see it for myself. Thanks again.
Go ahead and install your Windows, then put Linux on it as a dual boot. That will let you play with Linux in your spare time, while having the more familiar Windows to fall back on when needed. If you don't feel comfortable with a dual boot option, you could even just run Linux from a CD for a while.

I am fairly new to Linux myself, and so far am liking what I see. In particular, I like that it comes bundled with almost an equivalent of 'Office'. Because I do some forms, letters, reports, and spreadsheets for a non-profit organization, I would have to pay extra (by extra I mean above the already extra price that a casual user can buy) for MS office because a 'Home/Student' version of office can't legally be used for non-profit.

So far, my first impression is that the GUI still needs to expand a bit. I'm finding myself needing to use the 'terminal' a lot. Don't get me wrong, I still use the command prompt in windows on occassion, too. Maybe I don't have to use the terminal as often as I do, and just haven't figured everything else out, yet, either.