Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Diehard Windows fan looking to convert..need lots-O-help
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:54 pm 

Wow am I livid right now. Ok so just got finished installing XP last night on my new RAID 1 array only to find that my activation key is no longer good.

So my options are this:
1) I can buy a new product key for $80-$90.
2) I can try hacking the OS to disable the activation and risk destroying the OS install entirely and/or infecting myself with whatever.
or 3) I can try a different OS such as Linux, Ubuntu or whatever else and have to deal with a tremendous learning curve which I really don't want or have time for. Or have to deal with the large lack of software support.

So you see my delima. But to be honest I really would like to use an OS that is free and open source. So if there is anyone out there reading this with a solid enough knowledge of the two OSs (Linux and Ubuntu) I would greatly appreciate a brief description on the differences in each of them, and what I should know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:12 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Just call and reactivate.
If it is a legal copy you won't have any trouble.

On another note, Linux can be fun and rewarding but you need to know what you may be in for.
For one, Ubuntu is Linux. Actually is a distribution of Linux. There are hundreds out there but Ubuntu is one of the easiest to learn and most popular.
If you plan on gaming, Windows is by far the better choice for compatibility.
Sure, you can run a lot of games on Linux and most are free but most of the big name games out there won't run on Linux.
There is also a learning curve as far as installing programs onto Linux.
For the most part it is actually easier but it's still "different"
You can download and burn Ubuntu to a disk and boot to it. This is called a "Live CD"
It allows you to try before you install the OS. The entire OS runs off the CD without touching your hard drive.
Give it a whirl and see what you think of it first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:20 pm 

-Lawless wrote:
Just call and reactivate.
If it is a legal copy you won't have any trouble.

On another note, Linux can be fun and rewarding but you need to know what you may be in for.
For one, Ubuntu is Linux. Actually is a distribution of Linux. There are hundreds out there but Ubuntu is one of the easiest to learn and most popular.
If you plan on gaming, Windows is by far the better choice for compatibility.
Sure, you can run a lot of games on Linux and most are free but most of the big name games out there won't run on Linux.
There is also a learning curve as far as installing programs onto Linux.
For the most part it is actually easier but it's still "different"
You can download and burn Ubuntu to a disk and boot to it. This is called a "Live CD"
It allows you to try before you install the OS. The entire OS runs off the CD without touching your hard drive.
Give it a whirl and see what you think of it first.

Thank you very much for the quick response. I'll get right into it. The copy is legal, but when I went to go activate it it said specifically that the key had exceeded the maximum number of activations blah blah. Compatibility is the biggest factor as far as switching goes as you've stated. But what about Ubuntu, does it have the compatibility issues like Linux? The difficulty installing programs on Linux as you said seems like it isn't worth it. One more questions. What is the difference between Linux and Ubuntu besides being a different distribution? Is it just simply a more user friendly OS?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:22 pm 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Did you call MS and try to activate it that way? I have called and gotten things activated pretty easily that way. Even through the automated system. It is a little annoying, but if you get it set up and then make an image, you shouldn't have to worry about activating on a reinstall.

For the rest of your question... Ubuntu is Linux, or rather, a version of Linux.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:39 pm 

CrashTECH wrote:
Did you call MS and try to activate it that way? I have called and gotten things activated pretty easily that way. Even through the automated system. It is a little annoying, but if you get it set up and then make an image, you shouldn't have to worry about activating on a reinstall.

For the rest of your question... Ubuntu is Linux, or rather, a version of Linux.

Hmm, interesting. Yeah I got it activated now. Had to choose my "answers" carefully though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:56 pm 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Halpme wrote:
Hmm, interesting. Yeah I got it activated now. Had to choose my "answers" carefully though.
Why?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:11 pm 

CrashTECH wrote:
Halpme wrote:
Why?

Well apparently when you say "Yes" when asked if you've installed on multiple PCs you have to go through an operator.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:48 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Halpme wrote:
CrashTECH wrote:
Halpme wrote:
Why?

Well apparently when you say "Yes" when asked if you've installed on multiple PCs you have to go through an operator.

That is because it is not legal to install it on multiple systems.
"At the same time"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:38 pm 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

I had that crap too... I had a subscription that gave me 10x license for XP, but they only gave me two keys. It was a PITA to use them after the first two.