Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Help with Choosing the proper version of Linux.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:43 am 

Hey all this is my first post so I hope I am in the area. But the question I have is just for fun on my part. I have a customer that has an old pentium 2 box and she would like to have it run anything for her very young Grand Daughter. I took on the challenge to see if I could get Linux up and running, which I am sure I can. I was wondering if there is a super light distro out there that would run on an old P2? Thank you all for your help and I look forward to your posts! - Jedi :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:41 pm 
Team Member [Top 500]*
Team Member [Top 500]*

First... Welcome to the MPC Forums!

Next, you post will fare much better in the Alternate OS forums section so I request it be moved there.

Till then check out the FAQ stickys in the Alt OS section. Remember what you want in this case needs to be very user friendly.

Ron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:53 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Yeppers. I would recommend this thread.

http://www.maximumpc.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9712

For what you're asking and describing, I'd probably be looking at something like xubuntu or some other of XFCE desktop.

As another option using something like LXDE is a good option. Fedora and Mandrake seems to be working pretty close with this. Looking at their list, I see something called Ubuntulite, which seems to be a pretty small setup, but admittedly, I've never used it, so I can't comment further on the setup or functionality.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:19 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Moved from the Free Clinic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:27 pm 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*

I would not advise Fedora as the latest ones can be a bit heavy on install. I always like Elive if it is for some one who has a slow machine but likes eye candy. It has pretties and ran well on my old 450. Not to mention elive is VERY user friendly.

If there is no preference on the eye candy there is always damn small linux (another fav of mine) there is a version that uses XFCE and is pretty light but balances the needs of a new linux user pretty well.

Debain would not be bad either. I ran KDE on my PII 450 lappy for a while. It was a little slow on boot but once running I had no issues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:17 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Lodis4 wrote:
I would not advise Fedora as the latest ones can be a bit heavy on install. I always like Elive if it is for some one who has a slow machine but likes eye candy. It has pretties and ran well on my old 450. Not to mention elive is VERY user friendly.

If there is no preference on the eye candy there is always damn small linux (another fav of mine) there is a version that uses XFCE and is pretty light but balances the needs of a new linux user pretty well.

Debain would not be bad either. I ran KDE on my PII 450 lappy for a while. It was a little slow on boot but once running I had no issues.

I second that about ELIVE :) I've used ELIVE englightenment environment for over a year and I occassionally run it once in a while. Eye candy is a "MUST" for young people ! We prefer eye-candiness over anything else.

on the side note, I'm using Mandriva2009 at the moment, with unbelievably supersweetness of Compiz-Fusion + the extra rotating cylinder instead of rotating cube. But it would be for newer and faster computers.

but back to the original topic.. pentium2 and for a very very young person ( I assume 8 - 10 yo), I would say XFCE if she's been exposed to winXP, ELIVE if she's been exposed to winXP or MAC.

However.. this might also worth trying...... it look super super simple for an 8 y.o...a Google's OS !!

http://www.thinkgos.com/dgadgets.php
http://www.thinkgos.com/gos-space.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:33 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Quote:
gOS is not affiliated with Google or their partners.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:50 pm 

It sounds like Elive is the way to go. Who are they affiliated with again? and where would you rec commend I get the iso from? Thanks for the help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:55 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Here is there homepage.
http://www.elivecd.org/

Sounds like you have to go through hurdles or pay them to get the ISO download though....

Post subject: Very true
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:57 pm 

I just tried to go and download the Iso and it seemed impossible. The guy that put this together makes it pretty clear that he wants money and I couldn't find the link to download.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:28 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

alternative download for Enlightenment...

ftp://ftp.netbsd.se/BSDanywhere/4.4/bsd ... 4-i386.iso

its from Switzerland --> http://bsdanywhere.org/

as for Elive, you can download the FREE version which is either the stable or unstable. One requires donation while the other one does not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:20 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Have you tried installing ubuntu? It is the easiest distro for a new user (by far) and it is capable of intelligent customisation to match your hardware.

Whether it can run on that particular hardware, I don't know ... but you can certainly trim it or add the Enlightenment window manager after.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:15 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Actually I'm going to play around with this GOS.
It's skinned over Ubuntu but looks like fun.
Loading it on VMWare now.

Post subject: Re: Very true
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:01 pm 

PvtJedi wrote:
I just tried to go and download the Iso and it seemed impossible. The guy that put this together makes it pretty clear that he wants money and I couldn't find the link to download.

The testing version is a small link at the bottom of the page. I have given 50¢ via paypal to get the stable release. It is worth it in my opinion.

EDIT: I just went back to look and it looks like the min is now $5. I would just get the development version in the link here

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:30 am 

I downloaded xubuntu and I am going to try getting it to run on Sunday. I will let you guys know how it goes. I am using the one for systems under 128mb of ram and slow proc. That you all for your help. Keep the advice comming!

Post subject: Update on what happened
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:12 pm 

Hey Guys I just wanted to let you know what the end-result with the Linux choise was. I ended up going with Xubuntu and i got it to runn pretty smooth on a 350mhz pentium 2 with 128 mb of ram. Now it wasn't perfect but for it was meant to do it worked pretty well. It looked good and ran solid. Thank you all for the help because I wouldn't have even known about Xubuntu if it wasn't for you guys. Thanks and have a great holiday!