Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: does Ubuntu 8.10 support the Intel GMA3100 onboard graphics
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:23 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Does the current edition of Ubuntu 8.10 (For desktops) support the integrated Intel GMA3100 video card? (I have a laptop with a G965M chipset which has the GMA3100 on-board.)

I don't plan to game on Linux, but maybe watch videos. I had a difficult time determining for sure if it did or not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:44 am 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

Yes it does. From the Intel GMA 3100 Wiki...

Linux

Intel has had a long history of producing or commissioning open source drivers for its graphics chips, with all chipsets dating back to the i810 having open 2D and 3D drivers for Linux. Intel is the only major graphics hardware vendor to do so. (For an analysis by company see Graphics hardware and FOSS.)

In August 2006, Intel added support to the open-source X.Org/XFree86 drivers for the latest 965 series that include the GMA (X)3000 core.[51] These drivers were developed for Intel by Tungsten Graphics.[52]

In May 2007, version 2.0 of the driver (xorg-video-Intel) was released, which added support for the 965GM chipset. In addition, the 2.0 driver added native video mode programming support for all chipsets from i830 forward. This version added support for automatic video mode detection and selection, monitor hot plug, dynamic extended and merged desktops and per-monitor screen rotation. These features are built in to the X.Org 7.3 X server release and will eventually be supported across most of the open source X.Org video drivers.[53] Version 2.1, released in July 2007, added support for the G33, Q33 and Q35 chipsets.[54] G35 is also supported by the Linux driver.[55]

As is common for X.Org drivers on Linux, the license is a combination of GPL (for the Linux kernel parts) and MIT (for all other parts).[56]

The drivers were mainly developed by Intel and Tungsten Graphics (under contract) since the chipsets documentations were not publicly available for a long time. In January 2008, Intel released the complete developer documentation for their latest chipsets (965 and G35), allowing for further external developers’ involvement. [57]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From other google search results, it's newly supported in later kernels, but it's mainly new Linux distros it works with.