Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Resizing Ubuntu partition...
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:54 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

I installed HH on my laptop, and gave it a pretty small partition, as it was intended as a test to see how compatible it would be out of the box...turned out to work GREAT...now my problem is: I have it setup pretty much how I want, but I have no more room, so I need to resize my partition...

Problem: I went to install QTParted, and I get an error...
Error wrote:
Could Not Launch Menu Item.

Failed to execute child process "qtparted-root" (No such file or directory)

Any ideas how to get around this, or other ways to resize the partition? It is on a 2.5" 160Gb SATA HDD... IIRC it is split into Vista install, Vista recovery, Ubuntu install [ext3] and swap. That should be it...I am fine if I pull space from Vista...I havent used vista once since I installed HH, but I would like to keep it, 'just in case'...

TYIA!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:49 pm 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

You will need to boot from a live CD to do this effectively. Back up your data, and be prepared to wait. A lot. Especially if gParted has to move data around.

I have done this many times from a Live CD with gParted. You shouldn't have any trouble. Not sure about your error without more info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:51 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

To add to what crash is saying, to resize, you'll need to unmount your volumes.

You can probably shrink the Vista partition, but couldn't expand anything else, which is where the liveCD comes into play.

As far as the error, my first suspect is that you need to add yourself to a group (probably disk) or run it as root, either via sudo or gksu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:16 pm 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

If you boot the live CD, and don't try to open the drives from "Places -> Computer" or anything, you should be okay without having to worry about them being mounted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:47 am 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

okay, well I got QTParted to run via sudo in terminal...as far as doing the actual formatting, someone punch me...So, I throw in the nearest ubuntu Live-CD, yes? and I got to system->administration->partition editor... it opens up GParted...okay, all is well...except, I went and started doing my tweaks to get my drive to look nice to me, but did not realize that it was logging everything I did in a queue...so by the end, it is doing about 15 things, most of which are on /dev/sda4, and is just making that partition larger, then smaller, then larger again...AAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! well, I clicked cancel, but it had the "SERIOUS damage" warning...I am just going to let it run over night, but let this be a lesson to anyone else, look what the program is saying it will be doing before you click Apply... :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:50 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Most partition editors that I have worked with kind of do the same thing.

gParted takes a long time, especially if it has to move data. However, I have never had it NOT work for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:14 am 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

yeah...it ended up working just fine, and I am not sure it even did the last parts where I had it change the size a lot...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:33 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Wasn't there a log or a status window?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:45 am 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

there was...it said all operations completed successfully...but I am saying because of approx. time elapsed...it seemd pretty quick...

also, how do I update from konsole? I did all this because 8.10 came out...but now I dont see it available...I usually see it when the icon at the top tells me updates are available...and I tried from konsole
Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
and it wouldn't do anything...but I am fairly certain I am still on 8.04, not 8.10...is there a way to get the update manager to pop up? I know it is apt, but it seems like a special window, because I opened up apt, and it was not the same look... anyways... TY!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:50 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Maybe I am missing something. Not sure why that didn't work for you.

Try this:
http://www.howtoforge.com/how-to-upgrad ... and-server