Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Couple of linux questions
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:51 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

does anybody have any reccomendations for emulation software to run linux on to learn it before the big migration? also what flavor would you reccomend for an average home user? primarily i just do alot of photo editing and graphics, also play alot of games, and surf, pretty much general usage. how hard is the actual migration, as in bringing all your pictures,music and what not over from windows? :D

Post subject: Re: Couple of linux questions
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:56 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

xs0u1x wrote:
does anybody have any reccomendations for emulation software to run linux on to learn it before the big migration?

What you want is called a LiveCD. It allows you to boot linux from the CD and run the OS on your PC without writing anything to your hard drive. Take out the CD, reboot, and you are back in Windows.

Quote:
also what flavor would you reccomend for an average home user?
primarily i just do alot of photo editing and graphics, also play alot of games, and surf, pretty much general usage.

Ubuntu is the most common suggestion for new users. Check the sticky link at the top of this forum for advice on choosing your linux distro (distribution).

Quote:
how hard is the actual migration, as in bringing all your pictures,music and what not over from windows? :D

i) Copy the files to DVD
ii) Install linux
iii) Copy the files from DVD to your PC.

Simple!

Post subject: Re: Couple of linux questions
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:03 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Jipstyle wrote:
xs0u1x wrote:
does anybody have any reccomendations for emulation software to run linux on to learn it before the big migration?

What you want is called a LiveCD. It allows you to boot linux from the CD and run the OS on your PC without writing anything to your hard drive. Take out the CD, reboot, and you are back in Windows.

Quote:
also what flavor would you reccomend for an average home user?
primarily i just do alot of photo editing and graphics, also play alot of games, and surf, pretty much general usage.

Ubuntu is the most common suggestion for new users. Check the sticky link at the top of this forum for advice on choosing your linux distro (distribution).

Quote:
how hard is the actual migration, as in bringing all your pictures,music and what not over from windows? :D

i) Copy the files to DVD
ii) Install linux
iii) Copy the files from DVD to your PC.

Simple!

thanks. trying to break my windows addiction here. im feeling the sting from vista and the announcement of 7 was just more sand in my buttcrack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:18 pm 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

What is wrong with Windows 7? We haven't even seen it yet.

If you want to VIRTUALIZE, Microsoft Virtual PC or Virtual Box would work as they are free.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:20 am 
Willamette
Willamette

If you play a lot of games your going to have to have your system set up as a dual boot system. Linux just doesn't have the support by the game makers that windows has and as a beginner trying to use wine or credega to get your games to run, well lets just say that your frustration level will be high till you get some time and experience under your belt with linux. I also suggest sticking with the 32 bit version of Ubuntu until flashmedia has a 64 bit version of flashplayer for release, since flash videos won't play online under Ubuntu 64 bit. KOMMANDER

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:43 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

KOMMANDER wrote:
If you play a lot of games your going to have to have your system set up as a dual boot system. Linux just doesn't have the support by the game makers that windows has and as a beginner trying to use wine or credega to get your games to run, well lets just say that your frustration level will be high till you get some time and experience under your belt with linux. I also suggest sticking with the 32 bit version of Ubuntu until flashmedia has a 64 bit version of flashplayer for release, since flash videos won't play online under Ubuntu 64 bit. KOMMANDER

Hey KOMMANDER, have you tried to use nspluginwrapper? I have had some success with it while in OpenSuSE 11 64-bit. Otherwise I just use Firefox 3 32-bit with flash instead of the 64-bit browser.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:45 am 
Million Club - 5 Plus*
Million Club - 5 Plus*

I use nspluginwrapper with flash 10, and it does just about everything that I need to do on 64bit Arch. My only issue currently is java applets, but that's no big loss there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:31 am 
Willamette
Willamette

UnLawFulGod wrote:
KOMMANDER wrote:

Hey KOMMANDER, have you tried to use nspluginwrapper? I have had some success with it while in OpenSuSE 11 64-bit. Otherwise I just use Firefox 3 32-bit with flash instead of the 64-bit browser.

I'll give it a try. Thanks!!! KOMMANDER

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:56 pm 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

I just installed Ubuntu 8.04 LTS yesterday and had completely forgotten about the 64bit flash issue. I actually found that Opera didn't have this problem. I was watching videos on Hulu within minutes thanks to Opera. Unfortunately, Opera doesn't like all sites, like www.thermalright.com. Sometime's javascript ads will get in the way of dropdown menus and such. Very overlookable at times, though still annoying. I just thought I'd throw that out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:28 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

that Linux guy wrote:
I just installed Ubuntu 8.04 LTS yesterday

Catch up mang. 8.10 just came out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:29 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Funny..I'm googling like crazy and not finding a long term support version of 8.10 out there...