Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: SunOS - crap, right?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 8:18 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I'm using SunOS at college (Solaris) and wanted to install it at home so I could have the familiar properties such as available ports, the way it handles signalling (CIS stuff).

I installed it in Virtual PC and the GUI wouldn't come up. Even though in the video setup it worked fine, tested the settings, everything. Then I go into the GUI and the screen became double-wide (really weird, the resolution became really wide and pretty short, it panned across most of my dual display setup) and the screen remained black, nothing.

Is SunOS really a bad choice or should I give it another shot? Does anyone know about compatability issues with Virtual PC?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 2:19 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Solaris is a great OS ... are you sure you are running an x86 version?

Post subject: Re: SunOS - crap, right?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 11:27 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

First, SunOS is NOT crap! You must be smoking crack to even let that thought enter your mind! :)

UTjunkie wrote:
I installed it in Virtual PC and the GUI wouldn't come up. Even though in the video setup it worked fine, tested the settings, everything. Then I go into the GUI and the screen became double-wide (really weird, the resolution became really wide and pretty short, it panned across most of my dual display setup) and the screen remained black, nothing.

I did the same thing and had the same experience - here is the quick and dirty. When you were doing the install, Sun's X server was running and everything was fine. After the install, it switched to using Xorg, which is now the default X server in Solaris 10, and for some reason it creates some goofy ultra-wide, impossible to use, display when running under VirtualPC.

The solution is simple. Boot into the console and change back to the Sun Xserver. You can find directions at Sun (google it). Basically, just uncomment the Sun server and comment out the Xorg server. Reboot and life is well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 1:14 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

wow, someone had the same problem as me! I will have to try doing that, thanks a lot....

While we're on the topic, what makes SunOS so great? It's what my college is running, it seems to have a lot of environmental advantages, like the available ports, or the way it handles signals, etc. But if I'm just looking to have myself a Linux machine, is SunOS really the way to go, or should I try something more common like SuSE?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 8:24 am 
In the lab!
In the lab!

many colleges use sun becuase it provides 3 things
1) solid powerful hardware
2) a mature and stable OS
3) support for above 2

sun hardware is heavy duty and can provide plenty of horsepower for campus need. Solaris is very mature and becuase it's developed really just to match the hardware you know it always works. If any of it fails to work properly it's just a matter of picking up the phone and calling and they'll either help you out right there or if it's somthing major sun will ship out a team to go onsite and get things working again.

As for if you should use Solaris at home... sure if you want to but you'll find that Linux or FreeBSD will work almost similar enough for your CIS stuff. My college used Solaris but I did all my programming work at home on FreeBSD then took it into the labs, and 90% of the time it would compile and run without any work and then I could submit the homework. 10% of the time there would be minor differeances that might take a short while to catch and correct.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 2:02 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

thanks.

well is Linux or FreeBSD better in any way?

Also Solaris uses "CDE" instead of the popular KDE or GNOME, (I've heard people say that SUN is trying to KILL Linux??). In either way, I'm sure that KDE or GNOME can be added onto Solaris (pretty much) the same way it can be added to any other flavor of Unix/Linux.

So....The big question: They all run on basically the same kernel, (filesystem is organized in the same way, file managing, etc) the GUIs are probably interchangeable, so what's really the big difference among distributions?

Is it the some versions come with different utilities than others, files are in different directories, and basically stuff like that? Or is it something more?

So it seems that if you work with any distribution of Linux, you can almost convert it into another just by installing and deleting packages, moving files into different directories, etc? Is this at all true?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:26 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

UTjunkie wrote:
well is Linux or FreeBSD better in any way?

Both Linux and FreeBSD, especially Linux, support a wider variety of hardware. If you're wanting to use a scanner or printer in a Unix environment, you're probably better off with either Linux or FreeBSD than Solaris.

UTjunkie wrote:
Also Solaris uses "CDE" instead of the popular KDE or GNOME, (I've heard people say that SUN is trying to KILL Linux??). In either way, I'm sure that KDE or GNOME can be added onto Solaris (pretty much) the same way it can be added to any other flavor of Unix/Linux.

Gnome is included in Solaris 10. The latest beta releases have added considerably better support for it.

And Sun is not trying to 'kill' Linux. There are quite a few OSS people who seemed really pissed off that Sun hasn't open sourced either Java or Solaris to the extent that they would like. OpenOffice and NetBeans are two OSS projects that Sun sponsers and both run just fine on Linux.

UTjunkie wrote:
So....The big question: They all run on basically the same kernel, (filesystem is organized in the same way, file managing, etc) the GUIs are probably interchangeable, so what's really the big difference among distributions?

To be clear, Solaris - the Sun Operating Environment - does not use the Linux kernel. JDS, the Java Desktop System, does run a Linux kernel. SunOS precedes Solaris and is sometimes used as a term to describe the Solaris kernel.

UTjunkie wrote:
Is it the some versions come with different utilities than others, files are in different directories, and basically stuff like that? Or is it something more?

The differences between Solaris and Linux are pretty big in some areas - filesystem, scheduler, threads/processes, networking, security, root jails, etc. However, Linux is based on the 'Unix philosphy' so there is a lot of overlap between these two operating systems.

The differences between Linux distros is a big depends. For example, Suse and RH and pretty similiar while RTLinux and RH are very different. Among desktop distros, the main differences tend to be file placement and package management. Thankfully, the Linux standards have done away with a lot of the differences in file placement.