Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: linux/windows filesharing
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:10 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

I've been using samba for some time to do this, but I have never been able to create/modify/delete files between my linux and windows computers. Read-only access is all that happens, no matter what I put in my smb.conf file or what kind of file permissions I set.

I suppose this should be a relatively easy problem to fix, but it's all beyond me. I've read countless tutorials on how to properly set up samba but it seems to me that they all take a different approach.

Tutorial I've been using:
http://www.samba.netfirms.com/index.htm

Could anyone point me in the right direction? Maybe a samba tutorial that you've tested and had success with? Keep in mind that my ultimate goal is to be able to create/modify/delete files between computers. I'm using ubuntu 8.04 desktop edition and good ol' windows xp.

Also, on a bit of a different note, would using the server edition of ubuntu help in any way? Does the server edition have some other filesharing system that's easier to configure?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:30 am 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

I can't speak for SAMBA configuration as I don't use currently use SAMBA on my network.

As far as using Ubuntu Server, you wouldn't see any benefit to settting up SAMBA. It'll be the same type of configuration for SAMBA. The difference between Ubuntu Server and regular ol' Ubuntu is simply that Ubuntu comes with lots of nice little extras that are welcome on a home desktop. Ubuntu Server, like any other minimal Linux install, comes with.... a kernel, BASH, and APT. That's about it. Everything else from network services, to word processors, Gnome to that tetris-like game, you have to install your self. This is nice if you know what you want/need, but for most, having the full install of Ubuntu is much easier and nicer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:46 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Installing the server addition probably won't offer much difference.

Sounds like you just need to include whatever user account into the group permissions for your share and honestly, you may have an easier time with this using samba swat instead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:42 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Ok. I got swat set up, but I am not able to log in to swat as root. All I can do is log in as my regular user and I can't change any settings without logging in as root.

Advice?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:04 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Ah! All I needed to do was reset my root password. Why they don't include stuff like this in the documentation is beyond me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:31 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

hey! whaddaya know! it works!

I'm able to access and modify my shares from my windows computers. I have no idea why it wasn't working before, but I set the global security setting to "SHARE" and I wonder if that had anything to do with it.

Basically what I'm going for with this ubuntu box is a place to send backups to as well as run an apache web server. I figure that if the root of apache is pointed at a shared folder, I can just chuck files into that folder from a windows computer and then they'd be available online.

Apache setup comes tomorrow. thanks for the help.

btw, this was my final smb.conf file:
Code:
# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from 127.0.0.1 (127.0.0.1)
# Date: 2008/10/10 00:22:18

[global]
   workgroup = MSHOME
   server string = HomeServ
   security = SHARE
   map to guest = Bad User
   obey pam restrictions = Yes
   passdb backend = tdbsam
   pam password change = Yes
   passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
   passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
   unix password sync = Yes
   syslog = 0
   log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
   max log size = 1000
   dns proxy = No
   usershare allow guests = Yes
   panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d
   invalid users = root

[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /var/spool/samba
   create mask = 0700
   printable = Yes
   browseable = No

[Server Files]
   path = /home/brian/server_files
   read only = No
   guest ok = Yes

[Backups]
   path = /home/brian/backup
   read only = No
   guest ok = Yes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:55 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

FAO anyone really interested in Samba, the newest Linux journal has a write up on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:33 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

hihi :)

I've been using PCLinuxOS for almost a year now. I use ROOT account only and always, though they say its dangerous. But for almost a year now -- i have FULL CONTROL of everything, especially with SAMBA...

All I do is click on the Places -> Network, then our 2 other PC running winXP will just show up (all the partitions), I can transfer / delete / rename / create folder, etc.

So how is it not safe to use root account only ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:37 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Using root only is a very bad idea. You know that it is a bad idea, so I'm not sure why you are asking.

You can run across a freeway and not get hurt ... heck, you can do that every day for a year and not get hurt ... but that doesn't make it any less dangerous or stupid.

There is not reason NOT to use a user-level account for day-to-day use of your PC. You can easily log into root for administrative duties and then log back out again when you're back to surfing the web or playing games.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:43 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Hey all, I'm back.

Everything's working satisfactorily, and last night I began doing backups from some various xp machines to the server.

The only limitation I've found so far is that if an xp user creates a file on the server, the server user cannot modify that file, but can access, delete, rename, etc. That doesn't really limit what I'm trying to. Since my xp machines aren't entering a passwd to connect to the server, I'm guessing they're getting in as guests, and therefore their files belong to "nobody".