Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Low Volume with OSS4 in Ubuntu 8.04
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:43 pm 

First let me state that Ubuntu is one of the best OS's I have ever used. I switched over from Vista/Xp about 2 months ago (well almost..Dual boot :))
I have only one problem that has persisted and is driving me to distraction.
When I installed Hardy" it had ALSA audio as default but I could not get any sound a all so I removed Alsa and installed OSS4 with no problems. I do have sound now but it is very low and only in the front speakers of my notebook. Sorry forgot to add specs here.

-Acer 8920G, True 5.1 surround (5.1 speakers onboard), HDA Audio,Geforce 9500GS, 320hdd, 3gig ram, blueray, 18.4" HD1080p screen..etc

Anyhow I have tried all the forums for help on this matter but with no luck. I want to be able to take advantage of my surround as well as be able to hear it at a decent volume. Other than this niggle I have no issues to think of. by the way gaming is awesome using wine..(thumbs up to Connock for this months Howto in the Mag) A must see for serious gamers. Kudos Maximum.

Any help with this sound issue would be appreciated.

Raven

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:22 pm 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

Welcome Raven_pc. So very glad to hear you made the switch, and even glad.....er to see you're diggin' it :) Linux is cool, ain't it? It's just teh beginningz.

As for your ALSA issue, how did you try to get ALSA to work? I've had sound troubles myself when I was using Ubuntu. I had onboard audio and wanted to use the Creative Audigy4 I'd just paid $80 for. I thought it would pick up automatically... I thought wrong. After some forum posts and consulting the great Google, I've learned a bit about ALSA.

First of all, make sure you're using the latest version available. As root,

#apt-get update alsa

After it's all updated and still as root,

#alsaconf

This'll bring up an Ncurses-type menu and will pretty much walk you through the whole thing. Choose your sound output, say yes, and away you go. Once you're sure ALSA is set to use your device for sound output, as a user,

$alsamixer

Put up each slider and listen. But don't wear headphones and put up each slider. I had ringing in my ears when I last did that :P

Hopefully this helped some. It could also simply be a matter of your hardware being too new. Brand spanking new hardware and Linux usually don't go together well, because hardware manufacturers don't put too much effort into drivers for an OS that 1% of their user base is using, and most Linux compatible hardware is made so by those active in Linux kernel development. From the sounds of it (Nvidia 9 series video, blueray, and 1080p screen), your mobile rig is quite new. If ALSA doesn't work, you may simply be forced to wait a few months, or undertake a hobby of Linux kernel development. Anywho, hope I've helped somehow.

-Andrew