Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Ubuntu 8.04 Gnome GUI DVD Ripping/Burning
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:08 am 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)
Monkey Federation (Top 10)

Anyone know of some readily available DVD ripping and burning apps I can use under Ubuntu 8.04 Gnome? I've installed a couple and have no problem ripping but I can't get anything to burn (I can burn CD's no problem though).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:14 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

I used to use 'Brasero' for DVD burning but I've found a faster way .. I just use the default file manager. :lol: It is considerably faster.

When you drop a blank DVD in your drive, you should (eventually .. takes a minute or two for the OS to detect the disc and mount the drive) have an icon appear on your desktop that says 'Blank DVD media'.

Double click on that and you'll have an empty file-manager window. Drag and drop the files you want burned into that window and when you're ready, hit the 'burn to disc' button in the top right corner of the window.

If you don't have that functionality in your base install of ubuntu, your drive may not be correctly installed / configured. If so, let us know and we'll help you get that up and running.

Edit: I still use Brasero for one thing: blanking rewritable media. The file-manager doesn't do that for me. Once the media is blank, I go back to the file-manager.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:17 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

using the file manager should work, assuming the application that rips the dvd creates the proper files and directory structure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:21 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

CrashTECH wrote:
using the file manager should work, assuming the application that rips the dvd creates the proper files and directory structure.

It does for me. I used to use a blank DVD-R to transfer TV shows from my PC to my xbox 360 so I could watch them downstairs on the big TV.

Now I just use a USB memory stick. :lol: So much easier, I'm kicking myself for not having thought of it earlier.

Anyway .. my point was just that the default ubuntu install was capable of burning video tracks to a DVD such that an MS product could read them quite happily.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:24 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Jipstyle wrote:
CrashTECH wrote:

It does for me. I used to use a blank DVD-R to transfer TV shows from my PC to my xbox 360 so I could watch them downstairs on the big TV.

Now I just use a USB memory stick. :lol: So much easier, I'm kicking myself for not having thought of it earlier.

Anyway .. my point was just that the default ubuntu install was capable of burning video tracks to a DVD such that an MS product could read them quite happily.
If you had windows you could just use the media center extender and not have to copy anything :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:26 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

CrashTECH wrote:
Jipstyle wrote:
CrashTECH wrote:

If you had windows you could just use the media center extender and not have to copy anything :)

I'd rather shoot myself in the foot. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:32 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

It actually works really well. Especially with transcode (streams the video to the xbox so that it doesn't matter what codec the files are encoded with)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:34 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Yeah, except for the 'Windows on my PC' part of the equation. :P
Actually, XP is still on there. I had to boot to XP a week or so ago to install iTunes and I had to wait almost 2 hours (!!) for the various updates to download, install, reboot, download, install, reboot, ad nauseum.

Blech!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:39 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Jipstyle wrote:
Yeah, except for the 'Windows on my PC' part of the equation. :P
Actually, XP is still on there. I had to boot to XP a week or so ago to install iTunes and I had to wait almost 2 hours (!!) for the various updates to download, install, reboot, download, install, reboot, ad nauseum.

Blech!!
You didn't have to, but you opted to. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:44 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

The required version of iTunes required more horsepower than my iMac could provide so I didn't even bother trying to install OSX on it. I'm pretty sure that OSX would have been enough to send lil Blue to corner crying.

No iTunes replacements for linux that play nice with my iPhone.

So .. Windows.

Oddly, I don't mind using Windows at work ... only at home do I consider it a personal failing when I see that horrid Window+Rainbow symbol appear on my monitors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:48 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

You have rainbows on your desktop?

I don't think your problem is your computer :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:55 am 
Northwood
Northwood

Jipstyle wrote:
CrashTECH wrote:
Jipstyle wrote:
CrashTECH wrote:

I'd rather shoot myself in the foot. :P

Somehow the foot seems to alot lower than the area in mind. :P :P :lol: :lol:
But, yes I agree that Windows is more of a pain than needed.
I is a win Vista Ultimate user !! And the media system's in it SUCKS !!!!!!!!
Thank God I got the OS FREE from M$ :!: :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:02 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

tiredoldman wrote:
What sucks about it? So far, it has worked far better for me than other alternatives.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:39 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Jipstyle wrote:
When you drop a blank DVD in your drive, you should (eventually .. takes a minute or two for the OS to detect the disc and mount the drive) have an icon appear on your desktop that says 'Blank DVD media'.

it's a shame though that you can't drop an ISO image into that though and have it burn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:31 pm 
Million Club 2+ [PC]*
Million Club 2+ [PC]*

CrashTECH wrote:
tiredoldman wrote:
What sucks about it? So far, it has worked far better for me than other alternatives.

[offtopicrant]

Ultimate's media center is very nice and all, but it's buggy. I've had to pause a DVD and go out to my OS to check something. The movie unpauses itself. Certain protection schemes or additional content setups simply will not play in Media Center. Try out Rush Hour 3 for instance. I had to use VLC to watch RH3. [/offtopicrant]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:35 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Quakindude wrote:
CrashTECH wrote:
tiredoldman wrote:

[offtopicrant]

Ultimate's media center is very nice and all, but it's buggy. I've had to pause a DVD and go out to my OS to check something. The movie unpauses itself. Certain protection schemes or additional content setups simply will not play in Media Center. Try out Rush Hour 3 for instance. I had to use VLC to watch RH3. [/offtopicrant]

Really? I'll defiantly have to check that out. So for I absolutely LOVE Vista's version of Media Center. I too have the issue with pausing a show, minimizing it and it starts automatically. I usually just hit pause on the remote again. I have two XP MCE machines and 1 Vista (My main rig in the living room) They are all networked together so I can share recorded TV and movies in all of the rooms.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:30 am 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

On topic, I agree with Crash. All you have to do is right-click on an ISO, select burn, insert blank disc, and go make some coffee.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:28 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Dread: have we answered your question?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:07 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

k9copy kicks major ass.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:25 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

I take it all back.

Install 'k3b' using the package manager. You'll find a link to the application under 'Applications | Sound & Video' ... k3b will do whatever you need quickly and easily.