Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: How Linux lost the battle for your Desktop
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:03 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:41 am
Posts: 11605
A really good read, and surprisingly accurate I do believe...

/discuss


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:03 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:23 am
Posts: 24222
Location: Granite Heaven
Yep, that about sums it up.

I've a related question. We're all linux-folks in this folder to some extent. Personally, I don't give a rat's ass about linux 'winning the desktop war'. I don't care if my Mom or Joe Numpty down the street ditch Windows or OS/X for linux. Really. It doesn't matter to me.

My question: who among you actually care whether Linux becomes more popular? My hypothesis is that the further you are from being a linux-noob, the less you are going to care.

My reasoning, in a nutshell, is this: the average user doesn't contribute to my software or my use of it. Whether Joe Numpty uses linux or Windows has absolutely no impact on my life, so why should I care whether he cuddles up with a penguin? I don't.

Linux has reached a large enough market of developers, testers, and other IT-knowledgeable people that the tools and applications that I require are provided quickly and properly. So long as we, the community, continue to ensure the health and viability of open-source development, we don't need the 'masses' to adopt our OS.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:09 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:41 am
Posts: 11605
I don't really care either. I mean, I will be honest. I have had just as many issues with Linux as Windows. Granted, they are different. Often though, they are sometimes harder to install... [/quote]

Oh, absolutely. Linux is very different from Windows. I don't pay for linux, so I don't expect the same level of support or service.

Quote:
Driver issue in windows? Download and run a exe from Dell, bam, new driver. Not always so easy with Linux.


Not always so easy with Windows, either .. for instance, installing a linksys wireless card NEVER goes smootly for me. I'll never buy one of their products again.

Generally speaking, though, Windows is usually easier. A recent (4 months old) ubuntu install for a friend, though, required only clicking when prompted by the install and updating tools. I thought that was pretty cool.

Quote:
I mostly manage / run Linux servers. They do the job, and well. Makes me happy. I don't see Linux going away, but I don't see them ever taking over either. I also don't view this as a bad thing. Linux doesn't need to be used en-mass to keep growing and maturing or for me to keeping using it where I see it is needed.


Exactly! :D


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:19 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:23 am
Posts: 24222
Location: Granite Heaven
God damn it.

I'm really sorry, Crash. I hit the 'edit' button instead of the 'quote' button.

Now it seems I've completely nuked your post and can't get it back. :(

Sorry dude. Humblest apologies.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:25 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:41 am
Posts: 11605
Nice!

I have done that before too on another board that I am an Admin on. I was like "WTF did I just do"?

The basic jist is there, it just looks like I seized when I wrote it. :)


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:30 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:23 am
Posts: 24222
Location: Granite Heaven
Hehehe .. well, if you want to edit it back as closely as you can, give 'er. Otherwise, it'll be a testament to how tired I am today.

I bought Tony Hawk's Project 8 for my 360 yesterday (9.99 bargain bin, baby!) and didn't get to bed until 3 hours before my alarm woke me to get to work. Oops.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:19 am 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 22, 2005 8:28 am
Posts: 3673
Location: The Blue Nowhere
It's funny that you say this. When I first started to get into linux I wanted to convert everything I could think of to use linux (I really must have been annoying). Now that I have been using it for a few years I really don't care what other ppl use.

My wife likes Windows Vista, because it's pretty, and I am not even going to try to explain the reason linux does not have a C: drive. At this point in my life I use linux at home (desktop and server), I use linux at work for a couple servers I administer but we are a Windows shop so the Penguin is a big minority. If I can find a way to make linux work in a way that is transparent to everyone in the house except me I will, but if the others have to touch it I make it windows.

And I am happy with that because I really don't give a rats ass what OS others use.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:33 am 
Malware specialist
Malware specialist
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:49 pm
Posts: 11696
Location: Kansas City, KS
Lodis4 wrote:
It's funny that you say this. When I first started to get into linux I wanted to convert everything I could think of to use linux (I really must have been annoying). Now that I have been using it for a few years I really don't care what other ppl use.

My wife likes Windows Vista, because it's pretty, and I am not even going to try to explain the reason linux does not have a C: drive. At this point in my life I use linux at home (desktop and server), I use linux at work for a couple servers I administer but we are a Windows shop so the Penguin is a big minority. If I can find a way to make linux work in a way that is transparent to everyone in the house except me I will, but if the others have to touch it I make it windows.

And I am happy with that because I really don't give a rats ass what OS others use.


Agree 100% with you Lodis. I did the same thing back when I first started using Linux (I think it was Ubuntu that I tried first, like 5.10 or something) and I too tried to convert everyone to Linux.

Now I just plain don't care. Same with the Vista versus XP battle, who cares.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:56 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:23 am
Posts: 24222
Location: Granite Heaven
Yeah, I was the same way at one point.

I think that part of the maturing process with linux users is a period of evangelism where you feel the need to convert everyone you meet to PenguinPower.

It wears off after a while, and you realise that converting people to linux only results in you being bothered by more people when they (inevitably) bork their PCs.

I don't get 'support calls' anymore (other than from Mom, of course) ... I tell people that I haven't run Windows since 1998 and have no idea what this 'Vista' thing is and they stare in shock, then back away slowly. :lol:


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:17 pm 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:41 am
Posts: 11605
Jipstyle wrote:
I think that part of the maturing process with linux users is a period of evangelism where you feel the need to convert everyone you meet to PenguinPower.
Too bad more of those evangelicals don't stfu, they make the rest of us look like religious fanatics :)

Jipstyle wrote:
It wears off after a while, and you realise that converting people to linux only results in you being bothered by more people when they (inevitably) bork their PCs.
Especially when you are the *ONLY* penguin they know.

Jipstyle wrote:
I don't get 'support calls' anymore (other than from Mom, of course) ... I tell people that I haven't run Windows since 1998 and have no idea what this 'Vista' thing is and they stare in shock, then back away slowly. :lol:
I just don't get them anymore. I try to give advice, but that is about as far as it goes. My fiance / fiance's mom gave out my number being nice, without really thinking about it. I have only been called by this person twice. Hopefully it will wear off / go away. I hate to be mean, because she is a nice person, kinda like my mom with computers. She can use it, but that is about it (yet wants to do more)


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:06 pm 
Team Member
Team Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:52 pm
Posts: 3189
From an open source viewpoint, then I'd say you guys are right on. It doesn't matter whether people use "Linux" as long as they get their jobs done. And they can run most of the open source stuff on Windows anyway, without the fuss of losing compatibility with stuff.

But, as a free software advocate, it's important to me that people don't encourage developers to right restrictive software that's harmful to society as a whole. What affects them will eventually leak over into the free software world, because vendors will try to make software so incompatible that we can't communicate with the rest of the world. This was a major issue in the early days of the internet. Microsoft was trying to proprietise the internet protocols, but companies that supported free software were able to stop them by popularizing open protocols with free software.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:07 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:23 am
Posts: 24222
Location: Granite Heaven
'Harmful to society as a whole'

I'm still laughing.

Sorry dude, but I strongly advocate a person's right to control the product of their work. If I invent a fantastic new algorithm, I'll run people over in my rush to the patent office.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:50 pm 
Team Member
Team Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:52 pm
Posts: 3189
Jipstyle wrote:
'Harmful to society as a whole'

I'm still laughing.

Sorry dude, but I strongly advocate a person's right to control the product of their work. If I invent a fantastic new algorithm, I'll run people over in my rush to the patent office.

That's precisely the reason we disagree. Not much else to say.. just agree to disagree.

But there's a difference between protecting your own work and purposely creating a monopoly on technology like Microsoft has tried to do in the past.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:57 pm 
Team Member
Team Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:23 am
Posts: 4053
I'm still laughing at my Ex-wife. Long story short, the server we had was running Linux and there was a lot of pictures and other stuff on it I'm sure she didn't want me to get back. Being Linux, she couldn't access any of the files because she didn't know the first thing about how. When I ended up getting the server back, the hard drive was installed up side down and never worked again. I'm guessing she soaked it in water or something to try to destroy the data.
Ya I lost some pictures and some music but the thought of her pulling her hair out trying to figure it out was priceless! :lol:


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:58 pm 
Team Member
Team Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:52 pm
Posts: 3189
-Lawless wrote:
I'm still laughing at my Ex-wife. Long story short, the server we had was running Linux and there was a lot of pictures and other stuff on it I'm sure she didn't want me to get back. Being Linux, she couldn't access any of the files because she didn't know the first thing about how. When I ended up getting the server back, the hard drive was installed up side down and never worked again. I'm guessing she soaked it in water or something to try to destroy the data.
Ya I lost some pictures and some music but the thought of her pulling her hair out trying to figure it out was priceless! :lol:

That's awesome! :P


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:21 am 
Northwood
Northwood
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:37 pm
Posts: 2261
Location: No. 1 Thread Killer
Interesting read. Thanks.

The First reason I like linux so much is because you don't need Itunes to play a .Ogg file.

And yes I just got over my evangelism here too.

and the Second reason I like linux so much is that Linux keeps the memory usage to a minimum (for the most part)

It's on its way up with fame in the high performance market. That makes me happy and full of hope.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:48 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:14 am
Posts: 2134
I will NEVER try and convert people to Penguin...I will tell them how awesome it is, but if I go and install Linux, I already know I will end up getting destroyed with the IT Support hammer of Dooooom!!!


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:49 pm 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:41 am
Posts: 11605
Jipstyle wrote:
'Harmful to society as a whole'

I'm still laughing.

Sorry dude, but I strongly advocate a person's right to control the product of their work. If I invent a fantastic new algorithm, I'll run people over in my rush to the patent office.
+1

I happen to like to eat, and writing software (and getting paid for it) puts food on my table.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:20 am 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:35 am
Posts: 3898
Location: In the server room
I read the article, and I too thought it pretty well summed things up. There was a time when I first started getting comfy with Ubuntu that I thought how great Linux would be for anyone, but I don't think Linux on the desktop is it's best suit.

I think Linux is great as a jack of all trades system. From PDA's to big-iron servers, Linux can do it all. But I don't think it's a perfect fit in every situation either. For desktop use, I personally think it's great for someone technical, who isn't afraid to learn something new. But for the masses, who don't want to take the time out to read a man page, or write a simple script, or the technologically inept, I don't think even the most hand-holding distro like Ubuntu or Mint are a good fit.

As for OEM manufacturers offering a Linux options on desktops, I think it's great to have that choice, but it should always be about choice. It's been said many times, and I'll re-iterate; Linux is NOT for the faint or heart. And quite frankly, I don't the masses care about having the extra power when they don't know how to use it.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:04 am 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)
Monkey Federation (Top 10)
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:20 pm
Posts: 10472
Location: Kansass
The 'masses' aren't ready for Linux. Power in the weak-minded, egotistical, bufoonishes hands is too dangerous. When the masses are ready, we'll know.

I'm pretty happy with a few different OSes running on my network.
And I do have a lot of fun screwing around in Linux.
But I will NEVER have an Apple OS, NEVAH EVAH!!!!!!


Top
  Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group